U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 AM

84 posts, read 357,237 times

Advertisements

I moved here in June from Cleveland, OH and I love it. It's a VERY diverse community so there's no ghetto atmosphere here and that's what we were looking for. My husband got a job here before we moved and we lived in an apartment first before buying a house to make sure we liked the area. We both don't have to get on the freeway to go to work so that's a blessing. Stockbridge is a southern suburb of ATL and we are near a couple of nice size malls. I'm looking forward to my first winter with little or no snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 7,784 times
We are looking at Stockbridge as one of the southern suburbs that we may relocate to around this time next year. Anything you can tell me about the area would be helpful. A few people in my family have moved to McDonough and love it, but I want a little space and am considering Stockbridge instead. What is the commute like downtown if you need to get on the expressway? How are the schools? Ethnic diversity?

Old 12-26-2006, 10:20 AM

84 posts, read 357,237 times
It takes us about 15 minutes to get to 75 and then about another 25 mins. to get downtown. Stockbridge is extremely diverse - that's what I like. My husband teaches at Stockbridge High and it's very diverse too. I've heard that the Henry county schools are very good. We live in an older subdivision in a cul-de-sac and out of the 6 houses, they are split down the middle African American and Non Afr. Amer. I like the diversity though. Now finding a church is a job in itself because of the diversity. We have finally found one that we think is a winner. The congregation is mixed - Afr. Amer. make up about a 1/3. The singing is different and the pastor's lecture is a little different than what I'm used to but he's still more fiery than others I've seen at other churches. The people aren't scared to praise God orally though and that I like. stockbridge is growing so I'm hoping eventually you won't have to go downtown for anything (good restaurants, nightlife, etc). The rumor mill is saying that they are supposed to built something like Atlantic Station somewhere around here, so we'll see. I haven't ventured downtown yet for fear of crazy traffic, I'll get there eventually!!!!

Old 12-26-2006, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 7,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacksone View Post
It takes us about 15 minutes to get to 75 and then about another 25 mins. to get downtown. Stockbridge is extremely diverse - that's what I like. My husband teaches at Stockbridge High and it's very diverse too. I've heard that the Henry county schools are very good. We live in an older subdivision in a cul-de-sac and out of the 6 houses, they are split down the middle African American and Non Afr. Amer. I like the diversity though. Now finding a church is a job in itself because of the diversity. We have finally found one that we think is a winner. The congregation is mixed - Afr. Amer. make up about a 1/3. The singing is different and the pastor's lecture is a little different than what I'm used to but he's still more fiery than others I've seen at other churches. The people aren't scared to praise God orally though and that I like. stockbridge is growing so I'm hoping eventually you won't have to go downtown for anything (good restaurants, nightlife, etc). The rumor mill is saying that they are supposed to built something like Atlantic Station somewhere around here, so we'll see. I haven't ventured downtown yet for fear of crazy traffic, I'll get there eventually!!!!
Thanks so much for the good info. The reason I ask about diversity is DH and I are an interracial couple, so a place where we are both comfy/accepted is key. Also, about downtown... I'm not sure what we'll be doing careerwise once we move. I'm a psychologist and DH works in the mortgage industry. Depending on what's available, we may ending working in the city. We'll see...

I love fiery preaching! Some of my family members are going to larger megachurches. Not sure what will be a fit for DH and I, but we'll be praying about that as well.

Again, thanks for the info.

Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,250 times
My family and I are thinking of relocating to Stockbridge this summer. I have heard some fairly nice things about the city. What are the surrounding areas like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia