U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 12:46 AM

6,466 posts, read 5,511,162 times

Advertisements

Downtown Brunswick has so much potential. I hope it can see some new construction in the coming years.

Quote:
Those whose interest has been piqued include would-be restaurateurs, boutique hoteliers as well as beer brewers. A wine and gift shop is also reportedly moving forward. And, for his part, Vonk would welcome all of them.

“It would all be a positive influence. On the other side of Newcastle Street, there are still some empty buildings. It would be great to see restaurants and things move into those and get those buildings restored,” he said.

“There are some wonderful inquiries there. We really like that the word is getting out. We really hope that one thing will lead to another and start nucleus of development in downtown Brunswick.”

At his building, located at 1404-1406 Newcastle St., the former site of the Level 3 nightclub, work is moving forward.

“There’s quite a bit of work involved around the historic preservation of the building. There’s also a lot of sequential things ... where one thing can’t be done without another happening first,” Vonk said.

“Initially we were working on demolition and cleanup. But I will assume that over the next week or two the work will start on the building. I think that the first construction work will be on the roof. Then they will move inside taking out old floor.”

Vonk said they are on schedule to complete construction in the late spring or early summer. They will then have to install the still, and hopefully open not long after that.

“We’re still on course which is good for a sizable for construction project. The original plan has us on track to complete construction in April or May. Then we have to install the distilling equipment,” he said.
Downtown Brunswick seeing flood of new interests | Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 03:50 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,367,127 times
It's really just a matter of time until this place goes crazy; if not for the downturn, I think it would have happened faster. Historic Brunswick is a treasure trove of amazing Victorian architecture, the cost of which is a fraction of what you would find in a comparable neighborhood in Atlanta or Savannah. Plus you have a great climate and proximity to the Golden Isles.
That is good news indeed regarding 1404 Newcastle. There's still a lot of vacant space on Newcastle south of Gloucester, and that is a key building in the block, so that will no doubt be a boost.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:25 PM

13,683 posts, read 17,771,339 times
During my 2 years living and working in Brunswick I grew quite fond of the place -- this despite the negative image that was deeply imprinted on my brain for years -- St. Simons, Sea Island and Jekyll were beautiful idyllic seaside resorts; Brunswick was a stinky, paper mill polluted industrial wasteland. It wasn't until I'd explored the historic neighborhoods west and south of the usual tourist spots that I discovered the charms of Brunswick. It's very much like Beaufort, SC. A few more years and a little more outside in investment will totally transform the place IMO.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,367,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
During my 2 years living and working in Brunswick I grew quite fond of the place -- this despite the negative image that was deeply imprinted on my brain for years -- St. Simons, Sea Island and Jekyll were beautiful idyllic seaside resorts; Brunswick was a stinky, paper mill polluted industrial wasteland. It wasn't until I'd explored the historic neighborhoods west and south of the usual tourist spots that I discovered the charms of Brunswick. It's very much like Beaufort, SC. A few more years and a little more outside in investment will totally transform the place IMO.
Yes, yes and yes...sad to think of the town's greatest loss, though. I still own a watercolor painting of this spectacular place, inherited from my grandparents.

Oglethorpe Hotel - Brunswick, GA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or