Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Renee Unterman is absolutely correct in identifying this as a fairness issue. And kudos to her for having the courage to break ranks with her fellow GA Republicans over it.

‘Mimosa mandate’ would allow Sunday morning cocktails in Ga. restaurants | WSB-TV

I'll be at St. Marks saying a little prayer for you next Sunday, Renee. Cocktails to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 02:10 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Renee Unterman is absolutely correct in identifying this as a fairness issue. And kudos to her for having the courage to break ranks with her fellow GA Republicans over it.

‘Mimosa mandate’ would allow Sunday morning cocktails in Ga. restaurants | WSB-TV

I'll be at St. Marks saying a little prayer for you next Sunday, Renee. Cocktails to follow.
Amen, LD!!!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
I was talking to some people visiting Savannah tonight from Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. They were amazed by our liberal liquor laws (compared to the Northeast). Oftentimes it only takes a little perspective to make you realize we're in much better shape and not nearly as backward as many on here like to pretend we are.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I was talking to some people visiting Savannah tonight from Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. They were amazed by our liberal liquor laws (compared to the Northeast). Oftentimes it only takes a little perspective to make you realize we're in much better shape and not nearly as backward as many on here like to pretend we are.
That is so true. Try NJ on for size. The existence of the township system has resulted in some draconian blue laws there. We were dining at an Italian restaurant in Madison a few years ago and were told that we would have to send an emissary down the street to purchase some wine to accompany dinner; they, in turn, would charge a fee for uncorking it. I asked the liquor store operator about it and he said that only two restaurants within the township were permitted to serve liquor at any given time (the town was lousy with restaurants). I inferred that whoever owned the restaurants and the local liquor store was a person of some influence in the community...probably the same family. A similar situation existed in my cousin's Connecticut community.
Too bad there's no Bible Belt for them to blame up there; just good old-fashioned graft.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
That is so true. Try NJ on for size. The existence of the township system has resulted in some draconian blue laws there. We were dining at an Italian restaurant in Madison a few years ago and were told that we would have to send an emissary down the street to purchase some wine to accompany dinner; they, in turn, would charge a fee for uncorking it. I asked the liquor store operator about it and he said that only two restaurants within the township were permitted to serve liquor at any given time (the town was lousy with restaurants). I inferred that whoever owned the restaurants and the local liquor store was a person of some influence in the community...probably the same family. A similar situation existed in my cousin's Connecticut community.
Too bad there's no Bible Belt for them to blame up there; just good old-fashioned graft.
It's a little more complicated than that and based on population. In the 1940s, the New Jersey ABC determined that cities, towns and townships could have one license per 1,000 residents. That was changed to 1 for every 3,000 residents in the 1960s. I wonder who thought that was a good idea. Fortunately, or at the very least, old licenses were grandfathered. If a small town of 5,500 had 5, they didn't lose any, but couldn't get another until the population increased.

New Jersey's Liquor Laws Were Created for a Very Different Population - WNYC

Madison was probably a one horse, one bar town in the '40s through '60s and got stuck with one license for years. Little Madison got to add a license, the third, in 2012 when it finally had 10,000 residents. Woo Hoo!

Twp. Committee Approves Third Liquor License - Chatham, NJ Patch

If you had dinner at the Italian place on Main Street, I'm sure the liquor store two doors down got all of their business. There are at least two other liquor stores and a wine shop in town, but close is good when an employee has to stop what he's doing and run to the store.

While there's no Bible Belt, they used to have a Quaker cluster which is why towns like Haddonfield and Collingswood are dry.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's a little more complicated than that and based on population. In the 1940s, the New Jersey ABC determined that cities, towns and townships could have one license per 1,000 residents. That was changed to 1 for every 3,000 residents in the 1960s. I wonder who thought that was a good idea. Fortunately, or at the very least, old licenses were grandfathered. If a small town of 5,500 had 5, they didn't lose any, but couldn't get another until the population increased.

New Jersey's Liquor Laws Were Created for a Very Different Population - WNYC

Madison was probably a one horse, one bar town in the '40s through '60s and got stuck with one license for years. Little Madison got to add a license, the third, in 2012 when it finally had 10,000 residents. Woo Hoo!

Twp. Committee Approves Third Liquor License - Chatham, NJ Patch

If you had dinner at the Italian place on Main Street, I'm sure the liquor store two doors down got all of their business. There are at least two other liquor stores and a wine shop in town, but close is good when an employee has to stop what he's doing and run to the store.

While there's no Bible Belt, they used to have a Quaker cluster which is why towns like Haddonfield and Collingswood are dry.
You pinpointed it to a 'T'. As I recall, it was exactly two doors down. Thanks for the very interesting synopsis!
Very charming town, BTW. I love that area of NJ.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:05 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
My brother used to live near Morristown. I thought it was a nice area. When I visited him, we spent most of our time in Manhattan, but we did go to the towns near where he lived.

Sorry for butting into the thread this way. Round of Mimosas for all of my friends!

Old 01-15-2017, 05:05 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Today I had the $25 bottomless mimosas at The Hitch. Then we went to the $10 bottomless mimosas at the Ordinary.

My friend Jill was s***faced and had to be sent home in an Uber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia