Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 12:34 PM

84 posts, read 379,417 times

Advertisements

I'm new here, moved here from Cleveland, OH in June. Loving everything about GA especially the weather. It was almost 80 degrees yesterday and the cold front that everyone's talking about is going to be a string of 50 degree weather. 50's is not a big deal to me but most people here are complaining about the cold. What IS a big deal, even to me, is the legendary ice storms that I've been repeatedly warned about. Yes, everyone says to just go to the store and buy your milk, eggs and bread and then stay in the house, but if the power goes out then what? I have a 3 year old and the aspect of "roughing it" with a 3 year old is not sounding very appealing. Do many people have generators and if so, what type and what's the price range is should be looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 02:08 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
I have a 9,000 watt generator that is portable, but plugs into a box with meters on it off of my main circuit breaker box. This is for a small 3/2 house in the Georgia mountains. It will run everything, including the A/C in the house (don't need the A/C during ice storms); but you can't run the hot water heater and certain other large wattage appliances at the same time. The key is to heat the water up, then turn the hot water heater off - no problems then. Also, most people have gas appliances (be careful, without electricity gas will turn on and no electric spark to ignite it!). I also have a wood burning stove.

No one really goes anywhere when a bad ice storm hits. Power can stay out for at least several days in the mountains. In Atlanta, they get the power back on pretty quickly.

Hmmm, what to do with a 3 year old. Might want to get a generator, or buy a battery opperated DVD player and a ton of Barney, Elmo, and misc. other anoying kids DVD's. I don't know, what did people do with 3 year olds before electricity - they must have done something, because we are here today!

Old 12-03-2006, 03:41 AM

8 posts, read 27,711 times
Default ice storm

I moved to GA in 1977 and have lived through 2 ice storms that knocked out the power. I wouldn't worry about it. You had more problems with snow storms in Cleveland. I moved here from Cleveland.
Hoschton, GA

Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 AM

Default ice storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Turman View Post
I moved to GA in 1977 and have lived through 2 ice storms that knocked out the power. I wouldn't worry about it. You had more problems with snow storms in Cleveland. I moved here from Cleveland.
Hoschton, GA
It's good to talk to another fellow ex-Clevelander. Abviously, ATL agrees with you and you love it because you're still here. Thanks for the advise. I look forward to bragging to people saying that I've lived in this lovely state for a long time.

Old 12-04-2006, 12:00 PM

We have a wood burning fireplace so heat wasn't really going to be a concern. Just checking out generators. I saw a portable one for about $250 on the internet. I might check into that, it's a cheaper option. The whole house one was over $1,000 - I can't afford that.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjacksone View Post
I'm new here, moved here from Cleveland, OH in June. Loving everything about GA especially the weather. It was almost 80 degrees yesterday and the cold front that everyone's talking about is going to be a string of 50 degree weather. 50's is not a big deal to me but most people here are complaining about the cold. What IS a big deal, even to me, is the legendary ice storms that I've been repeatedly warned about. Yes, everyone says to just go to the store and buy your milk, eggs and bread and then stay in the house, but if the power goes out then what? I have a 3 year old and the aspect of "roughing it" with a 3 year old is not sounding very appealing. Do many people have generators and if so, what type and what's the price range is should be looking at?
We moved down from the Minneapolis area in October 2004, and that winter we had an ice storm (basically freezing mist Friday night and all Saturday) that covered everything with a layer of ice and was quite pretty but which also caused a fair number of tree branches to litter the yard of the rental house in which we were staying. It was a little eery sitting outside in the dark with the freezing mist/fog and hearing things crash in the distance every now and then from the weight of the ice, but fun also.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Use common sense, don't drive if the roads are a skating rink (and they can do that -- it happened in 2004), and enjoy the experience. Just remember to look up if you're walking under any trees! :-)

Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM

15 posts, read 49,176 times
Make certain you follow all instructions that come with the generator. Get a carbon monoxide detector !

Old 12-21-2006, 07:06 AM

351 posts, read 884,003 times
the last bad ice storm we had in the augusta area was a couple of years ago we lost power for 4 days.It was freezing rain that accumalated on trees.You should have heard the way the limbs sound when they start cracking and falling it was awesome.By the way we are due for some snow/ice.past due

Old 12-21-2006, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadog View Post
the last bad ice storm we had in the augusta area was a couple of years ago we lost power for 4 days.It was freezing rain that accumalated on trees.You should have heard the way the limbs sound when they start cracking and falling it was awesome.By the way we are due for some snow/ice.past due
Don't say that !!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia