U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 04:05 PM

13 posts, read 12,016 times

Advertisements

HELLO.
I am a female nurse in the Case Mgmt profession looking to relocate to Ga. I have two children (only one in high school) the other in colllege. My husband, children and I just returned from visiting the Stockbridge, Marietta, Alpharetta, and Atlanta areas to see which are better areas to reside. I like the Stockbridge area homes, but a little concerned with crime rates there. Didn't like Marietta at all. Alpharetta is nice, but costly homes to rent and Atlanta isn't at all an option to live. Wondering what other areas to research that is close in proximity to the Atlanta area. My husband and I are willing to travel within an hour distance as we are aware traffic is SO terrible there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have been having trouble finding positions (Director level) in these areas. I have been offered potential positions in Southern Ga, but not interested in that area at all. Need help. Want to move by the summer (or sooner if work is found). Looking to rent a home (initially), 4 br, great area, good high school, rent between 1000 - 1500/mo. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM

333 posts, read 256,737 times
Hello,

Several options may be worthy of consideration in other burbs. Many employees at Emory, the VA and the CDC commute into Northeast Dekalb from Brookwood, Grayson and Parkview High School clusters in Gwinnett County, all frequently among the better performers. Those areas are also very convenient to Eastside Medical Center in Snellville. You may also be able to find something convenient to Northside Medical Center campus or one of the Gwinnett Medical Centers, all conveniently located within a decent driving distance to schools including Duluth, Peachtree Ridge and North Gwinnett High Schools (Gwinnett) and Roswell (North Fulton). You may be able to find decent rentals in these areas nearer to the top end of your preferred range.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 AM

Thanks for your info. My apologies for the tardy thank you.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 AM

6,635 posts, read 6,052,087 times
My advice to you is:

1) Don't be in a hurry to move to Atlanta, particularly if you have not yet been hired to a job in Georgia.

Unlike the boom years of the 1980's and the 1990's, the job market can be highly-competitive in the Atlanta metropolitan area, even in an economy that has improved markedly from the rock-bottom years of the Great Recession in the late-2000's and early-2010's. If you and/or your husband have not been hired to a job in the Atlanta area, do not even think of moving to Georgia until AFTER you have been hired to a job in the Atlanta area.

2) Good areas (with good schools, lots of amenities and low crime) can be found all over the Atlanta metro region. The key will be finding a good area in which to live that will be convenient to where you and/or your husband will be commuting to and from for work each day. Wait until you know where you and/or your husband will be commuting to for work each day before looking for a good area to move into so that you can attempt to minimize your exposure to Atlanta's often-challenging and congested rush hour commutes.

3) After you find out where in the Atlanta metro area you and/or your husband will be commuting to for work each day, if you still need help in finding a good area to move into, come back here to the City-Data website and post your questions and concerns in the Atlanta forum where your inquiry will get viewed by many more readers than here in the extremely low-traffic Georgia forum.

Just read the following below, respond accordingly and post the answers in a new thread in the Atlanta forum where there is much more online traffic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.
We wish you the best of luck with your job and housing search and we look forward to hearing from you in the Atlanta forum when you are ready to proceed with your move to Atlanta!

Born 2 Roll

Old 02-15-2017, 02:07 PM

10,215 posts, read 9,891,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
My advice to you is:

1) Don't be in a hurry to move to Atlanta, particularly if you have not yet been hired to a job in Georgia.

Unlike the boom years of the 1980's and the 1990's, the job market can be highly-competitive in the Atlanta metropolitan area, even in an economy that has improved markedly from the rock-bottom years of the Great Recession in the late-2000's and early-2010's. If you and/or your husband have not been hired to a job in the Atlanta area, do not even think of moving to Georgia until AFTER you have been hired to a job in the Atlanta area.

2) Good areas (with good schools, lots of amenities and low crime) can be found all over the Atlanta metro region. The key will be finding a good area in which to live that will be convenient to where you and/or your husband will be commuting to and from for work each day. Wait until you know where you and/or your husband will be commuting to for work each day before looking for a good area to move into so that you can attempt to minimize your exposure to Atlanta's often-challenging and congested rush hour commutes.

3) After you find out where in the Atlanta metro area you and/or your husband will be commuting to for work each day, if you still need help in finding a good area to move into, come back here to the City-Data website and post your questions and concerns in the Atlanta forum where your inquiry will get viewed by many more readers than here in the extremely low-traffic Georgia forum.

Just read the following below, respond accordingly and post the answers in a new thread in the Atlanta forum where there is much more online traffic...

We wish you the best of luck with your job and housing search and we look forward to hearing from you in the Atlanta forum when you are ready to proceed with your move to Atlanta!

Born 2 Roll
You provide the most thoughtful advice on here!

Old 03-09-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
My advice to you is:

Born 2 Roll
Thank you very much for the advice. I appreciate your candid honestly. I have been focusing on the job search, and agree with you. That will make life much easier!

Old 03-09-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My advice to you is:

Born 2 Roll
Thank you very much for the advice. I appreciate your candid honestly. I have been focusing on the job search, and agree with you. That will make life much easier!

Old 04-25-2017, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,920 times
I am following. I am also a Nurse, looking to relocate within the next year or so. Our search has been a little more south, like Warner Robins area ( my husband is a government employee). How is your job search going? I have also been considering exploring a career in Case Management Nursing. I do OB currently. Any luck with the housing search yet?

Old 04-26-2017, 04:56 PM

744 posts, read 2,184,302 times
You might want to PM the original poster because this post hasn't been active in over a month. I will add that two areas that you might want to look at are Newnan and Gainesville, Ga. They both are doing a lot of growing in the medical fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or