Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The changes and improvements at Jekyll have been fantastic and long overdue. The state authority that oversees Jekyll has done an outstanding job IMO. I predict that in a few years it's gonna be a major destination again for Metro Atlanta families.

Now, if they can only wrest those ridiculously cheap (criminal) land leases away from the private homeowners on Jekyll and start replacing some of that decrepit housing stock. Some of the homes (particularly on the west side) are mid-century architectural gems and probably belong on the Historic Register, but just as many more (mostly on the beach side for some odd reason) are ugly as hell and in disrepair.
Boy, you and I are totally on the same page today. The lease situation has long been a hindrance to investment and redevelopment on Jekyll; while neighboring St. Simons is in full-out teardown and rehab mode in its' older neighborhoods, Jekyll's sit moribund like some relic from the 60's. Very frustrating. Why the state can't relinquish land which has long been zoned residential is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 05:30 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It would be brilliant.

Ian Schrager would be another candidate for this; he built a career out of doing this very thing and pretty much invented the concept of the boutique hotel. I met him at a reception when I lived in NYC in the 80's. God, he was hot.

Ian Schrager ? Innovative Hospitality Entrepreneur ? Ian Schrager Company
I assume he's the one on the RIGHT?

Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I assume he's the one on the RIGHT?
Oh, God yes...the one on the left is Steve Rubell. Studio 54, remember? Well, maybe you don't, youngun'.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oh, God yes...the one on the left is Steve Rubell. Studio 54, remember? Well, maybe you don't, youngun'.
Of course I remember Studio 54! And the Limelight! Mike Meyers played him in the movie

Old 02-10-2017, 11:23 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,275,704 times
Okay, totally respect your view point.

my vote -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

As a question - Anyone else enjoy Georgia's island beaches as is, no hotels, dumb tourists and junk?

Old 02-10-2017, 11:41 AM

maybe let's create a poll?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
maybe let's create a poll?
Or a separate thread.
Knock yourself out.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:

my vote -

As a question - Anyone else enjoy Georgia's island beaches as is, no hotels, dumb tourists and junk?
You mean like from a dinghy with a telescope?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:

my vote -

I might enjoy them if I had a way to get to them

Old 02-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I might enjoy them if I had a way to get to them
Indeed. This was a first objective upon moving here!

Friends with boats. DNR ferry. National Park Service ferry. Kayak (Little Tybee). Practice swimming like Michael Phelps or Katie Ledecky.

But seriously, the harder it is to get to, or less "developed" the more peaceful and serene it will likely be. Georgia coast provides a unique alternative to the rest of the east coast barrier islands. Although some of the state facilities could use upgrading and maintenance but if that came with new hotels and more people staying on the islands it would definitely change the vibe of the beaches. Currently, you can walk miles on Cumberland, Sapelo etc and sometimes never see anyone! Maybe see some horses that is about it. It's pretty sweet. (I recommend going now in the off-season)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia