U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:27 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,385,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Indeed. This was a first objective upon moving here!

Friends with boats. DNR ferry. National Park Service ferry. Kayak (Little Tybee). Practice swimming like Michael Phelps or Katie Ledecky.

But seriously, the harder it is to get to, or less "developed" the more peaceful and serene it will likely be. Georgia coast provides a unique alternative to the rest of the east coast barrier islands. Although some of the state facilities could use upgrading and maintenance but if that came with new hotels and more people staying on the islands it would definitely change the vibe of the beaches. Currently, you can walk miles on Cumberland, Sapelo etc and sometimes never see anyone! Maybe see some horses that is about it. It's pretty sweet. (I recommend going now in the off-season)
Yes, thanks to the Herculean effort it takes to access them. That's the point that Newsboy and I keep trying to hammer home (apparently to no avail). It's rather like gazing down at Winged Victory from the outside of the Louvre Pyramid.
I'm certainly not advocating any of the nightmare scenarios you suggested earlier.

"As a question - Anyone else enjoy Georgia's island beaches as is, no hotels, dumb tourists and junk?"

Really the conversation that Newsboy and I had on the topic was about utilizing existing infrastructure and buildings on the islands, not adding to.
I simply don't see the purpose of archiving and locking away these islands from the very people that subsidize their maintenance. Maybe some of us are tired of paying for this non-privilege, and would like to see more self-funding out of these islands. As Newsboy astutely pointed out earlier, it's not without precedent; other states are doing it successfully and without undue burden placed on the surrounding environment.

Paradise Inn | Mt. Rainier National Park Lodging

Yosemite National Park Hotels - Yosemite View Lodge

I've stayed at both of these and if anything, they were an enhancement to the experience. No dumb tourists (they all appeared to be reasonably intelligent) and junk (however you define that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:00 AM

3,960 posts, read 1,557,631 times
I can only say that I love Jekyll Island because it has not been over developed like most beach resorts. The lack of people is what makes it attractive!

Old 02-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I can only say that I love Jekyll Island because it has not been over developed like most beach resorts. The lack of people is what makes it attractive!
Yes, to me Jekyll is proof that you can strike a balance. But we've had to fight for it.

Georgia trying to get handle on Jekyll Island | savannahnow.com | Savannah Morning News

Jekyll Island GA: The blatant indifference of Georgia legislators on display.

HB 715. Legislation limiting development on Jekyll Island introduced in Georgia legislature

https://sustainableatlantaga.com/201...jekyll-island/

Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 1,673,709 times
I didn't mention Jekyll for a reason. In Jekyll, we have balance already. I agree it is quite nice. But a lot of folks enjoy beaches with less people. I see what you are saying, but I think there's a lage community in Georgia, perhaps even a majority that don't post online, that like it as is. No matter how well designed hotels are, they produce litter and crowds. I believe Sapelo Cubmerland etc are perfect as currently. No cigarettes or beer bottles on the beach to watch out for. Well except if washed up. Anyway, they're fixing to develop it more plus Cumberland with new mcMansions so it seems to be happening anyway. and the Spit on St Simons Sea Island gets developed, wetland protections are about to be dramatically weakened, and so on.

Yes Jekyll is a good balance. Now.. zoom out. The coast as a whole, is also a good balance. The whole eastern US in fact. Georgia provides rustic peacefulness. Florida provides cars tailgatin' on beaches. South Carolina provides mini golf. There is much variety in our whole area, upon looking closely, from little towns like Tybee and Amelia, to upscaleness like Hilton Head and Charleston beaches, to practical middle of the road like Jekyll, and then majestic peacefulness of Cumberland or Sapelo. All I'm saying is places like our islands are becoming quite rare. We may have differing opinions here but do you see what I mean?? Anyone else feeling me here? Once every now and again I journey to Sapelo on the DNR ferry. It's very, very nice to have almost an entire island to yourself. Not many other states or places have this. If you haven't been to Sapelo - check it out!! This 'difficulty' getting there is what makes it, what it is...

Old 02-13-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I didn't mention Jekyll for a reason. In Jekyll, we have balance already. I agree it is quite nice. But a lot of folks enjoy beaches with less people. I see what you are saying, but I think there's a lage community in Georgia, perhaps even a majority that don't post online, that like it as is. No matter how well designed hotels are, they produce litter and crowds. I believe Sapelo Cubmerland etc are perfect as currently. No cigarettes or beer bottles on the beach to watch out for. Well except if washed up. Anyway, they're fixing to develop it more plus Cumberland with new mcMansions so it seems to be happening anyway. and the Spit on St Simons Sea Island gets developed, wetland protections are about to be dramatically weakened, and so on.

Yes Jekyll is a good balance. Now.. zoom out. The coast as a whole, is also a good balance. The whole eastern US in fact. Georgia provides rustic peacefulness. Florida provides cars tailgatin' on beaches. South Carolina provides mini golf. There is much variety in our whole area, upon looking closely, from little towns like Tybee and Amelia, to upscaleness like Hilton Head and Charleston beaches, to practical middle of the road like Jekyll, and then majestic peacefulness of Cumberland or Sapelo. All I'm saying is places like our islands are becoming quite rare. We may have differing opinions here but do you see what I mean?? Anyone else feeling me here? Once every now and again I journey to Sapelo on the DNR ferry. It's very, very nice to have almost an entire island to yourself. Not many other states or places have this. If you haven't been to Sapelo - check it out!! This 'difficulty' getting there is what makes it, what it is...
I'm glad you brought up Sapelo, since it's a prime example of how a government can play with the rights of an indigenous people and manipulate them out of their birthright.

Property tax avalanche threatens homeowners on historic coastal island - CNN.com

So how do you explain such a draconian increase being assigned to a community of largely elderly lifelong residents that simply want to spend the balance of their lives there? They are receiving very limited services for the money and have no designs on further development except for the occasional modest improvements. It's clearly a ploy to wrest their property from them for their own ends. So if you're looking to the government to maintain the status quo, look again.
The Candlers are not putting McMansions on Cumberland, for Heavens sake. I've been to the compound and the best way to describe the homes there are that they possess a simple, charming rusticity, which they like. I'm quite sure that they will maintain this tradition and I assume will submit plans to the County for review anyway.
Building on the "Spit" on Sea Island is total folly. The spit wasn't even there 75 years ago, and likely won't be there in another 75. Current direction dictates sand erosion on a sea island's southern end in favor of accretion onto the northern shore of the next neighboring island. Guess which end the spit is on.

"The coastal sand-sharing system consists of the ebb-tide delta; the alongshore, downcurrent drift of sediment; and the adjacent dynamic beach and dune system. Under natural conditions, the ebb-tide delta is slowly skewed downcurrent, and its southern component welds onto and nourishes the northern, or upcurrent, portion of the adjacent barrier island. Thus the inlet/alongshore drift system passes, or shares, sand from upcurrent sources to downcurrent recipients. Any interruption of this flow of sand, including inlet dredging, jetties, shoreline armoring, and so on, results in the starvation and erosion of downcurrent shorelines."

Geology of the Georgia Coast | New Georgia Encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2017, 11:54 AM

1,981 posts, read 1,673,709 times
The great thing about remote places is that they are often quieter. As time goes on it is harder to find such places that are public. Sapelo and Cumberland are nice and quiet. I don't support more density on the barrier islands. They are perfect already.

Sapelo is interesting. Gov't is manipulating people on Sapelo yes. Raising up their property taxes steeply, ironic as they get almost no services. Trying to kick them out so McMansions can come in. More $ for the local govt officials. You're right although from my perspective it seems to prove the contrary point. Legal? Perhaps. Still sad to think about though. A good market solution would be let them lock in tax rates if they keep the land in the family perhaps.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:35 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,540,428 times
LD, how did your property fare during Irma? The step sister's home in Wesley Woods stayed dry but her father-in-law's home on one of the tidal creeks on the mainland side got two feet of water in it. First time in over 50 years water has come inside.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
LD, how did your property fare during Irma? The step sister's home in Wesley Woods stayed dry but her father-in-law's home on one of the tidal creeks on the mainland side got two feet of water in it. First time in over 50 years water has come inside.
Badly, but we were prepared. The only thing we have on ground level is storage and garage bays. The cars were with us in Atlanta and anything on the floor was removed to the upper level.
The property was under two feet of water, and some of our neighbors' houses are uninhabitable right now. But we have power and are restocking the fridge today. My priority this week is getting the yard back in order.
The neighbors have been wonderful and are a constant reminder of why I love it there.

Last edited by Iconographer; 09-17-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 09-18-2017, 04:49 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,540,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Badly, but we were prepared. The only thing we have on ground level is storage and garage bays. The cars were with us in Atlanta and anything on the floor was removed to the upper level.
The property was under two feet of water, and some of our neighbors' houses are uninhabitable right now. But we have power and are restocking the fridge today. My priority this week is getting the yard back in order.
The neighbors have been wonderful and are a constant reminder of why I love it there.
It is a slice of heaven on earth. Was last there Feb 2016 and two storms have come since. So amazed that her home stays dry. It is on a slab, not even a step up. Doesn't seem like that much of an elevation difference from the marsh only a block away but I guess being on the sheltered side helps and the Marsh does its job soaking up tons of water.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 AM

13,683 posts, read 17,785,118 times
This will break your heart.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/My.G...5944462036833/

https://vimeo.com/234416212

Last edited by Newsboy; 09-19-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or