U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 PM

10,215 posts, read 9,891,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Come on Ansley... we all know Jim's smokin Q is the best.... LOLOLOL
I made the culinary mistake of grabbing a BBQ sandwich from Shane's Rib Shack. Don't ever do that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:31 AM

263 posts, read 175,528 times
Default Why do folks leave the mountains?

Recent trip to N. GA mtns noticed a lot of homes on the market a year or more. Any idea why they sit so long for sale? Also, why do folks move from such a beautiful area? Are they just getting too old to maintain their properties? Need more medical services than what the mountain area offers? Just noticed a lot of vacancies and was concerned.

Old 06-16-2017, 01:52 PM

10,215 posts, read 9,891,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
Recent trip to N. GA mtns noticed a lot of homes on the market a year or more. Any idea why they sit so long for sale? Also, why do folks move from such a beautiful area? Are they just getting too old to maintain their properties? Need more medical services than what the mountain area offers? Just noticed a lot of vacancies and was concerned.
It is beautiful. A lot of places in the area are owned by non-locals who have kids. They use the homes for vacations and weekends. When the kids get older, they seem to want to stay at home (Atlanta, for instance) where there is "something to do." My kids have reached this point. Floating around on the lake and jet skiing just isn't their cup of tea. As a result, the parents sell the mountain home. And, sometimes, folks get older and want to trade in the mountain weather for beach weather.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Thanks I wondered why there were so many vacancies. It is a nice area and so pretty. Talking to folks up there it gets pretty cold in the winter and I guess the ice/snow can be treacherous as folks get older and have a harder time getting around. The beach would be a lot more humid though and more possibility of hurricane but warmer might be better for some.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,438,185 times
Quote:
Thanks I wondered why there were so many vacancies. It is a nice area and so pretty. Talking to folks up there it gets pretty cold in the winter and I guess the ice/snow can be treacherous as folks get older and have a harder time getting around. The beach would be a lot more humid though and more possibility of hurricane but warmer might be better for some.
It gets cold relative to Florida. It's not cold at all compared to the midwest.. We do get snow. On occasion. But most of the time it's gone by the next day. When it snows, make the inevitable trek to the grocery for milk, bread, and eggs (this cracks me up!), light a fire in the fireplace, curl up with a good book, stay off the roads....and enjoy!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:26 PM

All the mountains towns were so pretty. Blue Ridge was really pretty downtown and lots of cute shops and train station. Jasper had a cute downtown as well. Ate at Rib Country in Blairsville. Cute restaurant and the food was really good too! The wood bench seats are a little hard on the back though. Tried the fried apple pie. It was yummy but a little greasy

Old 06-17-2017, 06:36 AM

3,276 posts, read 1,254,738 times
Quote:
As someone that visits that area often and currently live on beach. I can tell you beach life is not all is cracked up to be. Humid,tourist prices and traffic get old after awhile. I'm actually looking into retiring in that area had my share of beach life was fun when younger.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:18 PM

21 posts, read 41,997 times
I am glad this thread popped back up, we're still interested in the area and I'm still gleaning information from your posts. We had planned to come to GA in May but our poor dog ran up $5000 in vet bills and then died. We delayed our tour of the area till September.

I have been watching the real estate market in several of the small towns for about a year now. The homes that I have seen languishing on the market are either older and haven't been updated or vacation cabins not really suited for full time living. The nice family homes that are in good shape but are still affordable are absolutely selling. There seem to be a lot of people moving to the area, mostly retirees. I keep reading about how small towns in the US are dying but that doesn't seem to be the case in northern GA, the area seems to be growing faster than the residents appreciate.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:28 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,438,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundratess View Post
in northern GA, the area seems to be growing faster than the residents appreciate.
It's a double edged sword. That's why we don't fully appreciate it. We found our Mayberry. Our paradise. But the growth is very quickly taking that away from us. Slow steady growth is good but there are things that are changing our mountains so quickly and are not necessarily good. The most beautiful view to me was driving from Fannin to Union County. You'd top the ridge and see the beautiful landscape ahead of you. Now... all you see is a barren tree-less ridge top replaced by McMansion's in a gated subdivision. Quite the ugly site. There has to be a better way to "grow."

Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 AM

3,276 posts, read 1,254,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
It's a double edged sword. That's why we don't fully appreciate it. We found our Mayberry. Our paradise. But the growth is very quickly taking that away from us. Slow steady growth is good but there are things that are changing our mountains so quickly and are not necessarily good. The most beautiful view to me was driving from Fannin to Union County. You'd top the ridge and see the beautiful landscape ahead of you. Now... all you see is a barren tree-less ridge top replaced by McMansion's in a gated subdivision. Quite the ugly site. There has to be a better way to "grow."
Agree when I'm in Big Canoe and take Yellow Creek Road to Cummings is sad to see the clear cutting that is happening to build new homes. I know it would be more expensive to build around trees but is sad to see the area losing the nature around it that made it attractive in first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia