U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 12:00 PM

44 posts, read 47,840 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating. My company's headquarters are in Atlanta but I will work remotely, we would like to move closer than where we are (minneapolis) and take advantage of better weather. My husband is in banking/financial and will need a job. We have two small kids and two big dogs. Could someone recommend some areas for us that fit these criteria?

-Can find a 3br 2ba "move-in ready" home with 1/4 acre or more for under $230k. We are more than happy to be tucked into the woods, not necessarily looking for a "development" but want to be open minded to either option.

-Good School District

-Low Crime

-Large enough that there is a Target and Home Depot (or similar) yet small enough where traffic is considered mild/moderate. Please keep in mind that I currently have a 35mi (one way) commute and during "rush hour" in MPLS takes me 45min-1hr. This is moderate/heavy traffic to me. Also my husband will need a job at a bank, credit union, financial company etc, so hopefully somewhere that will have options for him.

-Good selection of farmers markets, shopping, dining, amenities (pools, splash pads, dog parks, etc)

-Northern GA is our preference, we love the outdoors and wish to be close (within an hour, 1.5 max) of the mountains, state parks, hiking trails and such.

Thanks for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 02:47 PM

10,209 posts, read 9,867,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12510 View Post
Thinking of relocating. My company's headquarters are in Atlanta but I will work remotely, we would like to move closer than where we are (minneapolis) and take advantage of better weather. My husband is in banking/financial and will need a job. We have two small kids and two big dogs. Could someone recommend some areas for us that fit these criteria?

-Can find a 3br 2ba "move-in ready" home with 1/4 acre or more for under $230k. We are more than happy to be tucked into the woods, not necessarily looking for a "development" but want to be open minded to either option.

-Good School District

-Low Crime

-Large enough that there is a Target and Home Depot (or similar) yet small enough where traffic is considered mild/moderate. Please keep in mind that I currently have a 35mi (one way) commute and during "rush hour" in MPLS takes me 45min-1hr. This is moderate/heavy traffic to me. Also my husband will need a job at a bank, credit union, financial company etc, so hopefully somewhere that will have options for him.

-Good selection of farmers markets, shopping, dining, amenities (pools, splash pads, dog parks, etc)

-Northern GA is our preference, we love the outdoors and wish to be close (within an hour, 1.5 max) of the mountains, state parks, hiking trails and such.

Look into Dahlonega, Canton, Blairsville, Toccoa. There are plenty of great small towns in N GA. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2017, 04:25 AM

3,771 posts, read 3,430,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Look into Dahlonega, Canton, Blairsville, Toccoa. There are plenty of great small towns in N GA. Good luck!
Blairsville meets all the criteria (even the dog park and splash park) with one exception. It's 56 miles to the nearest Target! LOL. If Wal-mart or a Dollar General will work the OP is covered. If it has to be Target it's either drive to Gainesville over the mountain or make the trek down to Canton or Cumming... It probably won't be long before there is one in Dawsonville though... It is growing SO fast.....

Old 03-03-2017, 07:42 AM

333 posts, read 255,751 times
Hello and welcome.

You've done a fine job of describing most parts of Gwinnett County. We offer all of those things, plus free concerts, free movies, fairs and festivals. You can more land for your buck in the areas of Dacula (pronounced Duh-Q'-Luh), Grayson and Sugar Hill. Do you like an older home with charm? Check out the Archer, Buford, Collins Hill, Grayson or Parkview High School Clusters. Or you can live near resorts in the Lanier (Lake Lanier Islands) or Mill Creek (Chateau' Elan Winery) High School clusters. These are all good, strong school clusters with convenient access to the City of Atlanta.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM

58 posts, read 109,938 times
try Canton, Kennesaw. Near and growing.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:40 PM

1,497 posts, read 979,306 times
Try Cartersville, GA. It's got the Target and a Super Walmart, and it is about a 45 in drive to downtown Atlanta under ideal circumstances. Lake Allatoona is right nearby with Red Top Mtn State Park with plenty of summer water activities. YOu are an easy drive to Rome and Chattnooga and the North GA MOuntains. It really is just thr right size and sounds like what you are looking for. Canton is also another option to consider.

Last edited by AUGnative; 03-03-2017 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 04:40 AM

6,635 posts, read 6,031,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12510 View Post

-Good School District

-Low Crime

I'm going to go in a slightly different direction here and ask if there is any way that your husband could secure a job in the Atlanta area before you move out of Minnesota.

Pretty much almost anywhere in outer-suburban North metro Atlanta will fulfill most of your needs in a crescent of outer-suburban/exurban areas that runs from Paulding County in the west (through the North metro Atlanta "Golden Crescent" counties of Cobb, Cherokee, North Fulton, Forsyth, Dawson, Lumpkin, Hall, Gwinnett, Barrow, Jackson and Walton) to Oconee County in the east.

Though two of your biggest challenges could be home prices and the potential length of your husband's commute, particularly if he secures employment after you move to North Georgia.

First, finding a move-in-ready property with 1/4-acre or more of land for as low as $230k and under in an area of good schools that is close to high-quality amenities potentially could be a significant challenge in some areas of a North metro Atlanta region where the real estate market has been highly-competitive (if not on fire) over much of the last two years or so.

There have been stretches of time over the last two years that many move-in-ready homes in areas of good schools and many amenities have literally been snatched up by buyers within hours or even minutes of going on the real estate market

Second, Atlanta metro rush hours and peak traffic hours are a totally different animal from rush hours in the Twin Cities. Atlanta's metropolitan and regional multimodal transportation network (both arterial roads and transit) is very sparse for a large major metro region of its size and population, forcing traffic in the region to be overly-dependent upon the relatively few arterial roads that exist....Something that makes rush hour traffic congestion even more intense than it already should be in a large major metro region of over 6 million people.

Throughout many parts of the Atlanta region, it only takes one slight hiccup during peak traffic hours to create massive hours-long gridlocked traffic jams on the aforementioned regional road network, particularly on the most heavily-developed and populated north side of the Atlanta region where your interest is the highest.

The significant vulnerability of the Atlanta metropolitan road network to instant hours-long gridlock is one of the major reasons that many newcomers are often strongly advised to first secure employment before moving to the Atlanta area.

The fear is that your husband will end up with a long, lousy, stressful rush hour commute filled with severe traffic congestion and gridlock to and from his future job if you do not yet know where he will be working and can attempt to make an effort to position your family as geographically close to his workplace as possible before you leave Minnesota and move to Georgia.

If you have some way to key in on where (the company and the geographical location/area) your husband will be working before you move to Georgia, that potentially might be helpful in guiding your search for housing in the Atlanta metro region.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:09 AM

2,708 posts, read 3,436,998 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome,_Georgia

Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 AM

723 posts, read 650,880 times
The Canton area or the surrounding unincorporated parts of Cherokee County would fit the bill. Not sure if you'll find "move in ready" with that much land and at that price point, but more likely an older home that needs some updating. If you want move in ready, you will not have that much land, and a lot of the homes in that price point tend to be slabs (no basement). If your husband could find a job at a bank branch, as a manager or something along those lines, his commute wouldn't be an issue since there are tons of bank branches on the area. But if his job requires him to be in a "corporate" setting, then he'll be commuting into Atlanta or Alpharetta which can be stressful.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,157 times
Honestly, you want to live in Kennesaw, Woodstock, Marietta (EastCobb), or Canton. I moved down here from Chicago and went to college for sports and my degree. I have lived in Kennesaw, GA. for about 13 years now. I love it, but I just had a baby and needed more space, I'm actually building a new home in a Pulte neighborhood right now in Woodstock.

I'm selling my home soon, which is a great 3br/3ba with upgraded kitchen. Our neighborhood has 2-3 miles of trails, 10+ tennis courts, 2 pools, 3 basketball courts, soccer fields, baseball fields, a frisbee golf course, and is close to mountains, malls, shopping, restaurants, etc.. I would highly recommend looking at Legacy Park, only $600 HOA too. You can message me for more details if you wish.

Kind Regards,
Anthony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or