U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 1,738 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone.
I am separating from the navy and moving to lawrenceville area
I am married with one 3 yr old son.
Currently living in Virginia and cannot come to Atlanta to view properties for a while.
Found a new construction house in lawrenceville on Hutchins in the gwin oaks elementary/five forks middle area.
Wondering mainly about crime/safety/development in the area.
Lawrenceville looks patchy and without coming first hand to view the area I would appreciate any feedback.
We are on a time crunch so thank you for fast feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 AM

333 posts, read 255,940 times
Good morning and Welcome.

The Brookwood High School area is among the more charming parts of Gwinnett County. You'll find plenty of new development along Scenic Highway 124, including new restaurants, shopping destinations such as Sprouts Farmer's Market, The Fresh Market, the Shoppes and Web Gin and more. It is also very convenient to Snellville where there's always something family friendly going on. You'll enjoy free concerts, movies and festivals at county and city-owned parks.

I really can't write much about crime or safety, but can let you know that you'll be among many professionals who value a good quality of life. The award-winning Gwinnett County Police and the Gwinnett County Sheriff's office do a a fine job of keeping us safe.

I think you'll enjoy it here. Thank YOU too for helping to keep us safe.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:24 AM

4,560 posts, read 3,832,270 times
What's tricky about crime rates is the boundaries used typically have no correlation with the good areas and the bad areas. They usually have a mix. I live just east of Five Forks Trickum Rd in the Brookwood cluster. I live in 30044 which overall has a fairly high crime rate. BUT, we're at the very southern border in an area that's actually very safe. Same with 30078, the northern parts in the Brookwood area are very safe but there's more crime down around US 78.

The whole Brookwood area is safe except for maybe adjacent to US 78 but even that's not really a bad area or anything. The commercial area known as Five Forks (intersections of Oak, Dogwood/River and Five Forks Trickum) is safe, pretty much all the development on Scenic Hwy is safe (at least from Sugarloaf to Oak, I don't go south of Oak too much, no need to). Sugarloaf Pkwy is mostly safe except for the part around Lawrenceville Hwy (US 29) and Old Norcross Rd but you won't need even need to go that far away often. Even then I feel safe during the day.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,738 times
Thanks for the information.
As long as my house isn't likely to getting robbed or my kid playing outside I'm not too concerned.
Is the demographic still dispersed. I saw that it's an even breakup of Caucasian/black/Mexican/Asian.
Is there a trend within these groups as to who has been moving in this area. I just noticed that the free/reduced lunch percentage of kids in this school district is very high at 40-50%. I'm not too sure how to interpret that number.
So do you recommend strongly to buying a home security system?

Old 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM

4,560 posts, read 3,832,270 times
It's been a fairly steady decrease in whites over the last 20 years (when my family first moved to the district) but it's been a mix of other races, not just one. I see 30% FRL for Brookwood. At any rate I wouldn't worry that much about that. I heard on here that they've changed the formula which made the numbers high than before. The FRL % has gone up since 2000 but the overall wealth of the area hasn't changed.

Security system is up to you. We don't have one. The last owner just drilled holes in the window frames and put in a long nail. That was the security system. In my subdivision (25 years old) I don't know of any cases of breaking and entering. Here's the list of crimes since we moved here 20 years ago:
Someone threw the lawn chairs into the pool.
Someone hit a mail box (brick) and drove off.
Several years ago someone had some stuff taken from their garage. The garage door was wide open.
That's all I know of in a quarter century in a neighborhood of about 50 houses and I can't imagine the rest of the area being any different. I know the subdivision you're talking about and I can't think of anything that's happened in that area.
Now I wouldn't recommend just leaving everything wide open and unlocked but general precautions will do you just fine.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 PM

49 posts, read 32,387 times
You can search the types of crimes in the area. For example when I looked at an area in city of Decatur it had mostly car break ins which is not uncommon intown due to lack of garages. My experience has been most crime is in or near transient areas (apartment complexes, housing close to busy road or interstate or that is easily accessible).

Free reduced lunch - 30% for a public HS in Georgia is pretty good actually. My children's elementary school is 6-7% reduced lunch but the MS is over 60% because it encompasses a much larger geographic boundary.

I have coworkers who live in brookwood HS cluster and they love it. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:38 AM

453 posts, read 1,550,850 times
I live in the Lilburn area (next to Lawrenceville) which feeds into Gwin Oaks, Five Forks Middle and Brookwood HS so we are basically in the same zone. It's a safe area and the schools are great! You can go to Gwinnett County public schools and see the accountability report. There is definitely a unique mix of demographics, almost an equal amount of Asians, Hispanics, Blacks and Whites(I love it!) and I can certainly see it in the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or