Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 AM

50 posts, read 40,365 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm travelling through Georgia in November - luckily I'm around Athens the same weekend as a college football game

Had a few questions that I'd be really grateful for answers to:
- what's the weather normally like that time of year? I'm coming from the UK so anything above 10c is fine for me!
- Which part of Athens is the best place to stay?
- Is there anything else I should do, other than the football? I'm a 28 year old male, so thinking good bars etc as well as any other points of interest

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 10:52 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
November weather is usually nice though it can be hit or miss especially towards the end of the month. Early November averages highs in the upper 60s and low 60s by the end of the month. But there's variability and you can easily get upper 70s one weekend and the next weekend barely hits 60. A lot of the first strong cold fronts come through in November so sometimes it's just luck of the draw. Still, you'll more than likely have nice weather. Aside from frontal systems, the weather should be nice and dry.

If you don't already have a hotel room I'd get one now or maybe AirBnb. If it's like the college town I was in, hotels for game weekends are expensive and run out. If you can, stay near downtown. It's a lively place, especially on game weekends, with lots of bars and music venues. I'm not an expert on Athens so I don't know everything it has to offer but the State Botanical Gardens are nearby on the southside of Athens. Even in late November the trees usually still have some color left so it should be nice.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
If you are going to be in Athens on a football game weekend, book your room NOW! The Indigo, downtown, would be my first choice.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:49 AM

Wow do places fill up that quickly!? Best get a move on and book somewhere!

Thanks for the responses, really looking forward to it! I went to a TCU game last year when visiting Texas and found the atmosphere around college games really fun.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:06 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand_new View Post
Wow do places fill up that quickly!? Best get a move on and book somewhere!

Thanks for the responses, really looking forward to it! I went to a TCU game last year when visiting Texas and found the atmosphere around college games really fun.
Look into Airbnb too. I went to College Station, TX for a game and hotels in the area were over $200. Hotels 30 minutes away were $100 (that are normally worth $75). I managed to get a room and private bathroom in a guys condo (although it was older) for $35 a night just a mile from campus.

TCU is little league compared to SEC teams I think UGA's stadium holds about double what TCU's does.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:12 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,518,593 times
Definitely stay in or near downtown if you can. Lots of great pubs and nightlife in downtown Athens and places will be packed on game day. Several nice hotels in downtown Athens and just a short walk to stadium. Not sure if they still do this or not but The Georgia Theater used to show the games live in the big movie screen. I usually enjoyed it more than being in the stadium. It was free to get in and they had several bars. And usually when the bulldogs scored a touchdown they handed out free shots. Across the street from Georgia Theater is The Globe. It is a British style pub. Great draft beer selection and excellent single malt menu. Nice comfy sofas and rocking chairs. The weather in November is usually comfortable around 60 f. Definitely book your room as soon as you can as hotels usually fill up months in advance for game days. Air bnb is another option, as someone suggested. But definitely try to stay downtown or easy walking distance of downtown if you can. It will make your experience much more enjoyable.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:24 AM

Thanks - that Georgia theatre thing sounds pretty cool. The one downside of college games in the US is that you don't serve beer inside the stadium!

Have had a look on airbnb and there are several options, all seem fairly close to downtown so will book something asap.

One more question - as an English person, will I be able to tell the difference between a Texan accent and a Georgian accent? I absolutely love the Texan accent, especially when they say 'y'all'!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM

Georgia Theater has several full bars including one in balcony seating. It actually has a stadium feel. But double check that they are showing the game. I don't think college football games are subject to blackout and since there is no admission charge..It's like watching it in a sports pub on a much larger screen. I usually would sell my tickets and watch games at The Georgia Theater. They also show World Cup and other FIFA games there too. Downtown Athens is very compact so it is easy to barhop. Also lots of great restaurants too.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Actually east Texas accent is very similar to the common Georgia accent that I would call the Piedmont accent. Now people from South Georgia and especially the coastal region will have more of a lilting drawl and tend to not pronounce the "r"s at the end of words. Such as better become "bettah".. butter is buttah.. think the classic Scarlet O'Hara accent. Athens is in the Piedmont region but game days draw people from all over so you will hear a menagerie of Southern regional accents. You will find that Southerners have a great affinity for the British and you will find yourself making friends easily.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Actually east Texas accent is very similar to the common Georgia accent that I would call the Piedmont accent. Now people from South Georgia and especially the coastal region will have more of a lilting drawl and tend to not pronounce the "r"s at the end of words. Such as better become "bettah".. butter is buttah.. think the classic Scarlet O'Hara accent. Athens is in the Piedmont region but game days draw people from all over so you will hear a menagerie of Southern regional accents. You will find that Southerners have a great affinity for the British and you will find yourself making friends easily.
Excellent

I found the Texans some of the most friendly, warm people I've ever met (not sure if Texans count as proper southerners..?) so hopefully I'll find similar in Georgia.

From Athens I'm going through SC and then finishing my trip in Savannah. Can't wait - all the responses on here seem really positive about Athens so really looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia