U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What Georgia 2nd Tier City would be the Power House Today if we didn't have Atlanta
Augusta 9 16.36%
Columbus 9 16.36%
Macon 6 10.91%
Savanah 19 34.55%
Positive Growth and power spread more even like TN or NC. 6 10.91%
Negative Growth or more Stagnant State comparable to Mississippi 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,274 posts, read 1,608,392 times
Reputation: 1795

Advertisements

As we all know Atlanta is Georgia's largest City, Metro Area, Capital and powerhouse in the state and has been for some time. With that said a mass majority of the resources, attention and growth continues to go just to the Metro Atlanta area while GA 2nd Tiers remain pretty much stagnant with slight growth at best unlike states like NC or TN that seems to spread the wealth just a tad bit more.. My goal Today is to get you to change your thinking a little bit. If we Took Atlanta of the Table and it didn't exist as it does Today, what Georgia 2nd Tier city would be Georgia's Powerhouse, Largest City, Metro, Capital, etc (Augusta, Columbus, Macon, Savannah). or would things be more even say like NC or TN.. Would GA be more like Mississippi, that's another question to put into debate? Based off the Layout of GA. 2nd Tiers, current Freeway system, location, how would Georgia look Today without Atlanta, how would growth be and would it still have an over 10,000,000 population? As far as Capital, Largest City as well as Largest Metro can be different opinions, being in a lot of States different Cities hold different Titles through out the state.

Last edited by oobanks; 03-26-2017 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2017, 11:59 AM
 
Location: I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta
1,313 posts, read 1,538,969 times
Reputation: 587
Default Not to start an argument

But Georgia would essentially be South Carolina. Savannah would be Charleston, Augusta would be Greenville and Macon would be Columbia because of its central location. My guess is Milledgeville would still be the capital so Macon or Savannah would be the largest MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Outer Boroughs, NYC
1,734 posts, read 1,411,884 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
But Georgia would essentially be South Carolina. Savannah would be Charleston, Augusta would be Greenville and Macon would be Columbia because of its central location. My guess is Milledgeville would still be the capital so Macon or Savannah would be the largest MSA.
Good post except the Macon part. Columbia is a state capital and it hosts the state's flagship university (like Athens) and it's the center of a little pie slice of a state. Macon would have had to be quite multifaceted to be a Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2017, 03:00 PM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,274 posts, read 1,608,392 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Good post except the Macon part. Columbia is a state capital and it hosts the state's flagship university (like Athens) and it's the center of a little pie slice of a state. Macon would have had to be quite multifaceted to be a Columbia.
I think another thing you need to take in consideration is if Atlanta never existed, Georgia other Cities wouldn't be the same as they are today, either in a positive or negative way so you can't see them as they are today. Example Macon being so close to Metro Atlanta's orbit kinda hender and helps it. If Metro Atlanta never existed it wouldn't be in that orbit making for a Totally different lay out or scenario. It kinda have you wondering what appeal or Attraction, Growth any other Georgia city could have had or Attracted like Savannah, Augusta or Macon with it's current location or would Georgia just stayed Mississippi like.. This is where you have to use your mind and pretend you don't know these cities as they are today but just based on location and infastructure.. Also you have to look at it this way, Atlanta brought a lot of Attention to other 2nd Tiers just by being in the same state so it could have been the other way around, this state could be very stagnant right now.. All options though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,683 posts, read 17,777,801 times
Reputation: 9872
Decatur (1822) predates Atlanta (1837) by 15 years. A major transportation hub city was destined for North Cehtral Georgia when the railroads came through. Had Atlanta not been founded, Decatur would have been that city and likely the largest and most prominent city and Metro in Georgia and the South. It was providence (fate) that led to this massive metropolis being here today. It's just by the decisions of a couple of men that we call it Metro Atlanta instead of Metro Decatur.

END THREAD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,274 posts, read 1,608,392 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Decatur (1822) predates Atlanta (1837) by 15 years. A major transportation hub city was destined for North Cehtral Georgia when the railroads came through. Had Atlanta not been founded, Decatur would have been that city and likely the largest and most prominent city and Metro in Georgia and the South. It was providence (fate) that led to this massive metropolis being here today. It's just by the decisions of a couple of men that we call it Metro Atlanta instead of Metro Decatur.

END THREAD
You have some valid points and in that case the Metro Decatur area would look very different right now, further east even. Has me wondering if we would have our beltway Perimeter as we know it today, I-285 under a metro Decatur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:34 AM
 
6,635 posts, read 6,039,594 times
Reputation: 4584
YUCK!

A Georgia, a Southeastern U.S. and a world without Atlanta is NOT a world that I would want to live in.

That's because Atlanta has such a major (if not massive) pull on Georgia, the Southeast, the U.S. as a whole and even the world (just look at the seemingly growing current dominance of the city on the national and international prep sports, Hip-Hop and TV/Film production scenes).

Atlanta is a city that contributes a lot to this state, this nation and this planet, probably in ways that are too numerous for us to even completely imagine.

If Atlanta does not exist as we know it today, Georgia is probably a state that is similar to Alabama or South Carolina.

Without metro Atlanta, Georgia's population likely would be nowhere near 10 million and the state likely would have a much more provincial bent than it does now.

Heck, without metro Atlanta, not only would Georgia be completely different but the entire Southeast and the U.S. as a whole likely would be much different places, and not necessarily for the better.

Without metro Atlanta, there likely would be no powerhouse city and/or metro area in Georgia that would be akin to Atlanta. The growth that the state experienced (which likely would be significantly reduced) would be spread somewhat evenly amongst Columbus, Macon/Warner Robins, Augusta and Savannah....Though Macon/Warner Robins potentially might be a tad larger with metro Atlanta out of the picture.

Without metro Atlanta, I do not think that Georgia would necessarily be as provincial as Mississippi because of the increased number of major military installations and larger urban centers in Georgia. Though, I do think that Georgia likely would be much more of a traditional, conservative and provincial "Old South" state as opposed to the larger and dominant trendsetting "New South" state that many view it as being today.

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 03-28-2017 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:41 AM
 
Location: ATLANTA
2,274 posts, read 1,608,392 times
Reputation: 1795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
YUCK!

A Georgia, a Southeastern U.S. and a world without Atlanta is NOT a world that I would want to live in.

That's because Atlanta has such a major (if not massive) pull on Georgia, the Southeast, the U.S. as a whole and even the world (just look at the seemingly growing current dominance of the city on the national and international prep sports, Hip-Hop and TV/Film production scenes).

Atlanta is a city that contributes a lot to this state, this nation and this planet, probably in ways that are too numerous for us to even completely imagine.

If Atlanta does not exist as we know it today, Georgia is probably a state that is similar to Alabama or South Carolina.

Without metro Atlanta, Georgia's population likely would be nowhere near 10 million and the state likely would have a much more provincial bent than it does now.

Heck, without metro Atlanta, not only would Georgia be completely different but the entire Southeast and the U.S. as a whole likely would be much different places, and not necessarily for the better.

Without metro Atlanta, there likely would be no powerhouse city and/or metro area in Georgia that would be akin to Atlanta. The growth that the state experienced (which likely would be significantly reduced) would be spread somewhat evenly amongst Columbus, Macon/Warner Robins, Augusta and Savannah....Though Macon/Warner Robins potentially might be a tad larger with metro Atlanta out of the picture.

Without metro Atlanta, I do not think that Georgia would necessarily be as provincial as Mississippi because of the increased number of major military installations and larger urban centers and in Georgia. Though, I do think that Georgia likely would be much more of a traditional, conservative and provincial "Old South" state as opposed to the larger and dominant trendsetting "New South" state that many view it as being today.
Very interesting Point's Born to Roll and I agree with you 100%... Georgia or the Southeast wouldn't be the same as it is today without Atlanta, I just keep smelling Mississippi for some reason, lol..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Duluth, GA
1,319 posts, read 1,075,816 times
Reputation: 1269
If we look at it as a matter of Atlanta never having existed, in the historical sense, as a early railroad hub, then the most prominent Georgia cities would have evolved from either of the fall line cities; Augusta, Macon, or Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 AM
 
6,635 posts, read 6,039,594 times
Reputation: 4584
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Very interesting Point's Born to Roll and I agree with you 100%... Georgia or the Southeast wouldn't be the same as it is today without Atlanta, I just keep smelling Mississippi for some reason, lol..
That's understandable that you think that Georgia would be like Mississippi without the presence of Atlanta.

Before the state really started to hit its stride as a forward-leading vanguard of the New South during the Civil Rights era of the late 1950's and 1960's and onward, Georgia's quality-of-life measurements were said by many to be comparable to Mississippi....And not the Mississippi of today, but the Mississippi of THEN....Mid-20th Century, Jim Crow, pre-Civil Rights era Mississippi.

Mid-20th Century Georgia was said by many to be comparable to Mid-20th Century Mississippi, and that was even with (a much smaller and much more provincial) Atlanta being known as a relatively very progressive and tolerant city in a region of the nation that had earned a reputation for being anything but progressive and tolerant at the time.

Though, with the city luckily being home to some exceedingly progressive and forward-looking political, business and (especially) civil rights leaders (most notably Martin Luther King Jr and former mayor William B. Hartsfield), and with the city being the site of a major hub of freight railroads and the site of one of the world's fastest-growing airports, and with the city being the site of massive post-WWII federal infrastructure investments (Lockheed fighter jet plant, Dobbins AFB, lakes Allatoona and Lanier, Interstate system hub, Federal air mail hub, etc), Atlanta was headed in the right direction on an upward trajectory that (unbeknownst to many at the time) would lead to the city eventually becoming a major (dominant) force on the international scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top