U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you recommend Covington, GA for a family of 5 as new Georgia residents?
Absolutely 1 20.00%
Not at all 0 0%
It's ok but would recommend other cities if possible 1 20.00%
I have a neutral feeling toward Covington 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 570 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Georgia at the end of May. I have done so much research on cities and towns in the surrounding Atlanta area. I have really been drawn to Paulding County, primarily Dallas area. I have also researched Covington. I feel like there are a ton of mixed reviews about the safety of it. Yes I am aware that Vampire Diaries was filmed there (because I love that show). I have ready that it is "country"; however, I guess I didn't get that vibe with the large population. Keep in mind I am coming from a very small Missouri town of 2000 people. I don't care about driving up to an hour to get to a mall for name brand clothes. I am used to having only a Walmart Supercenter to shop at and about 5 "restaurants" to choose from. The reason I have been drawn to Covington is because of more house for your money than in Paulding County but I do have 3 kids so I need a generally safe area. Any suggestions, information, opinions are welcome. I will be renting regardless of where I live which brings me to my next issue. It seems like it is extremely hard to find homes to rent with a private owner, they are all managed by property management places, most of which have qualification requirements that I can't meet. I have good rental history, good income, and references that my rent will be paid. If anyone has any leads or suggestions on this end, I would greatly appreciate those too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 04:43 AM

6,635 posts, read 6,055,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrebe85 View Post
I am moving to Georgia at the end of May. I have done so much research on cities and towns in the surrounding Atlanta area. I have really been drawn to Paulding County, primarily Dallas area. I have also researched Covington. I feel like there are a ton of mixed reviews about the safety of it. Yes I am aware that Vampire Diaries was filmed there (because I love that show). I have ready that it is "country"; however, I guess I didn't get that vibe with the large population. Keep in mind I am coming from a very small Missouri town of 2000 people. I don't care about driving up to an hour to get to a mall for name brand clothes. I am used to having only a Walmart Supercenter to shop at and about 5 "restaurants" to choose from. The reason I have been drawn to Covington is because of more house for your money than in Paulding County but I do have 3 kids so I need a generally safe area. Any suggestions, information, opinions are welcome. I will be renting regardless of where I live which brings me to my next issue. It seems like it is extremely hard to find homes to rent with a private owner, they are all managed by property management places, most of which have qualification requirements that I can't meet. I have good rental history, good income, and references that my rent will be paid. If anyone has any leads or suggestions on this end, I would greatly appreciate those too.
The number-one deciding factor in where you decide to live in the Atlanta/North Georgia region will be where your well-paying job and/or jobs will be located.

In an increasingly highly-competitive Atlanta/North Georgia regional job market, you should be (and basically NEED to be) hired to a job *BEFORE* you make arrangements to move away from your current home.

You need to make sure that you have a job before moving to the Atlanta area so that you will not risk not being able to find employment and going broke (looking for hard-to-find employment) in an Atlanta job market where good-paying employment is increasingly challenging to find....Particularly if you are not a highly-skilled worker or a worker in a high-paying and/or in-demand field like Tech, Medicine, Finance or high-level Law/Legal Services.

You also need to make sure that you have a job before moving to the Atlanta area because the traffic can be horrible on many days and you will want to (and have to) live as close to your job as might be possible so that you won't have to spend too much of your time sitting in ridiculously massive traffic jams.

Before you even think of looking for housing, one...know where you will be working so that you will know that you will have a job in a seriously (if not severely) competitive Atlanta metro job market and, two...know where you will be looking so that you will know where to look for housing so that you can attempt to minimize your exposure to Atlanta's long rush hour commutes and unpredictable traffic congestion.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:13 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The number-one deciding factor in where you decide to live in the Atlanta/North Georgia region will be where your well-paying job and/or jobs will be located.

In an increasingly highly-competitive Atlanta/North Georgia regional job market, you should be (and basically NEED to be) hired to a job *BEFORE* you make arrangements to move away from your current home.

You need to make sure that you have a job before moving to the Atlanta area so that you will not risk not being able to find employment and going broke (looking for hard-to-find employment) in an Atlanta job market where good-paying employment is increasingly challenging to find....Particularly if you are not a highly-skilled worker or a worker in a high-paying and/or in-demand field like Tech, Medicine, Finance or high-level Law/Legal Services.

You also need to make sure that you have a job before moving to the Atlanta area because the traffic can be horrible on many days and you will want to (and have to) live as close to your job as might be possible so that you won't have to spend too much of your time sitting in ridiculously massive traffic jams.

Before you even think of looking for housing, one...know where you will be working so that you will know that you will have a job in a seriously (if not severely) competitive Atlanta metro job market and, two...know where you will be looking so that you will know where to look for housing so that you can attempt to minimize your exposure to Atlanta's long rush hour commutes and unpredictable traffic congestion.

This, emphatically. Especially considering the OP's choices are at least an hour apart from each other on a good traffic day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia