U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 611 times

Advertisements

I recently got my license suspended for 1 month for having an out of state speeding ticket in Ohio. I did not use a lawyer and I paid of the ticket. A few weeks later I got a mail saying that my license was suspended for 1 month. I recently got my license back 3 months later and now I got a speeding ticket in Georgia for going 84mph on a 70. What is most likely to happen?
Should I use a lawyer to show up for court and fight for my case ? Or should I just pay it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:28 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,485,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient sparrow View Post
I recently got my license suspended for 1 month for having an out of state speeding ticket in Ohio. I did not use a lawyer and I paid of the ticket. A few weeks later I got a mail saying that my license was suspended for 1 month. I recently got my license back 3 months later and now I got a speeding ticket in Georgia for going 84mph on a 70. What is most likely to happen?
Should I use a lawyer to show up for court and fight for my case ? Or should I just pay it.
I never heard of anybody losing their drivers license over a single speeding ticket, unless the driver was speeding several mph over the speed limit; or if there are other previous traffic violations that would put a driver over the maximum amount of total number of points allowed against a licensed driver in the point system that many states use as a way to determine if a licensed driver is fit to drive an automobile in that state or not.

If you can pay the ticket and keep your license, I believe I'd just pay it and forget about it. But if you still lose your license after you pay the fine, you might wanna talk to a lawyer, just to find out what your options are.

Actually, 84 in a 70 doesn't sound so bad, when you consider that just the other day, a Asst Police Chief in Austin on his way to a high school school function in Waco was stopped on Mopac in Austin for going 92 in a 70 and the cop that pulled him over let the Asst Police Chief go with only a warning and pretty much a pat on the back.. It was caught on video and it made the news.

http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/local...ning/426583943

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 04-01-2017 at 12:15 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 12:10 AM

6,602 posts, read 8,027,699 times
For that to be the case you have points on your license for more than just that one speeding ticket.

That mixed with the fact that you got 2 speeding tickets in a short time tells me you have a problem.

Something about the aggressiveness of your driving and/or speed is an issue and getting you noticed more often.

You are in that position where you need to be the slower one on the road for awhile. When enough points on your license accumulate, you should be in a far more cautious state so you can maintain your mobility. To an extent your punishment is partly that you need to follow the law and not do the casual speeding most people do and get away with. I don't know the details, but I'm betting points will expire over a 2-4 year period from when they were added to your license.

In your case, I would contact a traffic lawyer and just be honest with them. Seek advice on where you are with the points on your license and how long it will take them to go away. There might also be a few things you can do not to blindly fight the ticket (If you were speeding, you were speeding), but to fight the points added or the right way to plea to prevent points from accumulating.

In the mean time, you need to be the slower, more cautious one on the road.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient sparrow View Post
If I am not mistaken, 14 over will not go on your record unless it was in a school zone. I had gotten many tickets in GA and they were all around that 14 over, and not one of them gave me points. I had to pay a fine, and sometimes I went to court and sometimes I didn't go to court, but of the 14 tickets I received in 20 years of driving in GA, not one of those went on my record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or