U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 AM

1,687 posts, read 2,531,888 times

Advertisements

I've been following Lake Lanier's water level for 10 years and every year the water level rises significantly in the winter. This year, however, the Corps is hardly letting it budge. We started out the winter roughly 10 feet below full pool and we're still there. We'll have a big rain event and nothing happens. Does anybody know what the deal is?

Lake Lanier Water Level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 11:13 AM

13,683 posts, read 17,781,559 times
This should answer your question:

Georgia Drought Conditions Interactive Web Map March 28, 2017

Old 04-05-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Are those different than the drought maps in my link? We had rain all the time this winter. Something else is going on.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:02 PM

1,497 posts, read 980,858 times
Not just Lanier.. this is a problem at most Corps managed lakes. The situation is no where near as bad at Lakes Oconee and Sinclair which are not managed by The Corps.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:22 PM

4,567 posts, read 3,836,427 times
You don't erase a drought just with one or two rain events. Last fall was incredibly dry. Winter wasn't nearly wet enough to overcome that.
Plus, the sources of Lanier and Hartwell (another corps lake) are in the mountains which are under a worse drought than the piedmont.
There are parts of the mountains that are over 20 inches under normal rainfall for the water year (Oct 1 to now).
A lot of Atlanta is near normal for year to date (since Jan 1) but eastern parts are 2 to 4 inches down just in 3 months. The mtns are 6 to almost a foot below normal for the same time period. That's where the inflow to the lakes is but the inflow just isn't enough. They have to maintain enough outflow to maintain electricity generation.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
You don't erase a drought just with one or two rain events. Last fall was incredibly dry. Winter wasn't nearly wet enough to overcome that.
Plus, the sources of Lanier and Hartwell (another corps lake) are in the mountains which are under a worse drought than the piedmont.
There are parts of the mountains that are over 20 inches under normal rainfall for the water year (Oct 1 to now).
A lot of Atlanta is near normal for year to date (since Jan 1) but eastern parts are 2 to 4 inches down just in 3 months. The mtns are 6 to almost a foot below normal for the same time period. That's where the inflow to the lakes is but the inflow just isn't enough. They have to maintain enough outflow to maintain electricity generation.
I see. I knew Atlanta had plenty of rain, so I was unaware of the major drought up in the mountains.

I've also been told that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers inexplicably drained 10 feet of the lake last year despite having ample water downstream.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 980,858 times
The situation is not as bad on lakes Oconee and Sinclair.. which are NOT managed by the corps of engineers. Yes the drought up in the mountains is a contributing factor but also the way the corps manages the lake levels.. even in non drought periods you notice a big difference in corps managed lakes and those not managed bu the corps

Old 04-15-2017, 04:27 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,435,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
I see. I knew Atlanta had plenty of rain, so I was unaware of the major drought up in the mountains.

I've also been told that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers inexplicably drained 10 feet of the lake last year despite having ample water downstream.
Up here in the mountains, last summer we had an appreciable rain the end of July... it didn't rain any real truly measurable amount again till the end of October. There were places on Lake Nottley that you could literally walk across the whole lake....... We're just now getting back to normal winter depth with several more feet before we're at good summer levels......

Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM

212 posts, read 176,347 times
Clark Hill Lake (aka Thurmond Lake) is so low that the floating gas lines and depth markers used to show swimming areas are on the beaches

Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,629,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
You don't erase a drought just with one or two rain events.
Not with one or two typical rain events.

But it has happened in the recent past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_S..._States_floods

The floods of 2009 brought both Allatoona and Lanier up to flood reserve capacity despite the previous three years of drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or