Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Basically, all of Forsyth County is considered "Cumming," although most of it is not actually in the city, but rather unincorporated county. You can't completely escape crime anywhere, but I think that you will find Forsyth a family friendly area, as there is very little crime there. Also, the KKK thing was a long time ago when it was all natives. Now it is mostly transplants, mostly form the north.
Forsyth County isn't filled with people, mostly from the north. Granted there is a higher percentage there than in some other suburban counties, such as Paulding. It isn't a majority, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 38,729 times
I agree with the above comments...KKK may be around in the most rural of areas (I'm Jewish and moved here from NY, via California and had the same concern).

The southern part of Forsyth County would be the best place with builders becoming more and more negotiable as time goes on you'll find a good deal.

I'm currently working with a California family in the same price range and will be showing the husband around South Forsyth/Cumming. We're looking at James Creek subdivision since the amenities are amazing (indoor/outdoor tennis, swimming pools, etc.).

The schools are very good in that area as well. I have a 9 yo and a 6 yo in elementary school so I'm very focused on the schools and feedback from everyone I meet.

The following elementary schools are very good: Vickery Creek(West side of GA400), Daves Creek, Johns Creek and Big Creek (all East of GA400). For middle schools I'd stick with South Forsyth, Vickery Creek and/or Riverwatch.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Also, you can visit the following site for some more information re: Cumming:
Cumming-Forsyth County Chamber of Commerce (http://www.cummingforsythchamber.org/community/newcomer-information.aspx - broken link)

Good luck!
Lisa (mominAlpharetta)

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,537 times
Default James Creek

Remember the further North you go, the more home you get..and even though traffic is bad in some places. Going from exit 14 on the 400 to 17 is not bad at all.

We started looking in Windermere, but those James Creek homes were too close together for my taste.

Good Luck!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 AM

288 posts, read 958,693 times
I disagree on Forsyth County being all northerners too. It seems with the development of more new neighborhoods in south forsyth area it has brought more people into the area, maybe more from the north, but there are still alot of natives here. Someone mentioned up to exit 17, which to me seems to start back with the podonk kinda atmosphere, except maybe large house communities on the lake I would steer clear of that area if your wanting to avoid that type of atmosphere. Being that there are alot of transplants in south forsyth area and with more and more new development, the new Avenues mall area on exit 13, and supposedly a new mall to go in on McFarland exit I would think you would really enjoy the area! If you have to go into Atlanta for work though you may wanna reconsider an area closer in if you want to avoid sitting in heavy traffic commutes. ANyways, hope this helps some, and good luck with your move!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,100,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Forsyth County isn't filled with people, mostly from the north. Granted there is a higher percentage there than in some other suburban counties, such as Paulding. It isn't a majority, though.
Here is a quote from the Wikipedia entry for Forsyth County:

"Today, Forsyth County maintains a large percentage of new homeowners. Due to rapid suburban sprawl and skyrocketing housing prices in neighboring Fulton County a large number of affluent professionals have moved into the county since the marches of 1987; the county's population has roughly tripled since that time. Over 60% of the current population either lived elsewhere or had not been born yet in 1987."

I do not have data, but I would bet that the majority of those transplants are from the North and are not native Georgians.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:27 PM

80 posts, read 351,641 times
Wikipedia is actually as good of a source as this here forum, since its content comes from the same people (mostly anonymous internet users).

That said, I agree that Forsyth isn't the backwoods bumpkin county it was right up until the 80's. I've lived in the area since 1981, with a couple years away to explore the rest of the country, and most of the new people I meet are from Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida. I'm from New York myself. Things have changed around here. The old-schoolers have sold out their farms and vacated the premises.

It's a great place. I know one of the guys who is prominent on the video Oprah likes to show, and he's deeply ashamed of his mentality from back than. He was 17. It was how he was raised. It is not how he is, though. Given independence, the youth of Forsyth (at least those who have stayed) have NOT taken on the ignorance of their forefathers.

You run into pockets of idiots everywhere. I can't say you won't find some of that here, but I can say that the county no longer deserves its reputation as a racist county.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills View Post
Wikipedia is actually as good of a source as this here forum, since its content comes from the same people (mostly anonymous internet users).
OK, do you have any data from an alternate source that would conflict with the numbers from Wikipedia?

Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM

80 posts, read 351,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
OK, do you have any data from an alternate source that would conflict with the numbers from Wikipedia?
Why would I have that? I'm not the one quoting Wikipedia. Look, if I was feeling froggy, I'd run over there and edit the page to show that 30% come from elsewhere, or 40%, and until someone comes along and challenges it, it will stay. Look, Wikipedia is a great resource, but it should only be a starting point for research and (imo) it just looks silly to quote it as a source of fact.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:43 PM

40 posts, read 120,127 times
well, I live in Forsyth and came down from Chicago. Doing my part to make up the 60%.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmills View Post
Why would I have that? I'm not the one quoting Wikipedia. Look, if I was feeling froggy, I'd run over there and edit the page to show that 30% come from elsewhere, or 40%, and until someone comes along and challenges it, it will stay. Look, Wikipedia is a great resource, but it should only be a starting point for research and (imo) it just looks silly to quote it as a source of fact.
Thank you for your lesson on internet data sources. Here are data directly from the 2000 census regarding the place of birth of individuals in Forsyth County, GA:

Born in the same state: 49.3%
Another state: 44.0%
Outside US: .7%
Naturalized Citizen: 1.6%
Foreign Born: 4.4%

Therefore, according to the US Census in 2000, the majority of the residents of Forsyth county in the year 2000 were not even born in Georgia, let alone Forsyth County. With the population growth since that time, I think that it would be safe to extrapolate that the number of individuals born outside Forsyth County is even higher in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia