Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does anyone see this CSA going into affect by the Census Bureau by 2030
Yes 6 25.00%
No 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Atlanta has probably reached its limit in terms of outward growth. It would be much more difficult for any other metro such as Macon to even be included in the CSA even though they have adjacent counties. In fact I would say it is highly unlikely that any other Georgia metros would be included in Atlanta's CSA. In this map of MSA's and CSA's, you can see that the "urbanized" (darker green) area of Atlanta and Athens are relatively close where there is a large gap between Atlanta and Macon.

Another thought. If I-85 had been routed through Athens, it would probably quite a bit larger being home to the state's flagship university and the given economic activity along the corridor.
I get where your coming from and Great Point!! Also by your map, it looks as though if that were possible to occur Columbus and Chattanooga could also Possibly be included by counties but Urban gaps are just kinda large for all three regions.. Only thing I could see probably justifying it is Commuting Patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 08:08 PM

212 posts, read 239,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I get where your coming from and Great Point!! Also by your map, it looks as though if that were possible to occur Columbus and Chattanooga could also Possibly be included by counties but Urban gaps are just kinda large for all three regions.. Only thing I could see probably justifying it is Commuting Patterns.
...which are a large part used by the OMB in determining Micropolitan, Metropolitan, and Combined Statistical Areas

Old 04-22-2017, 02:02 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2401 View Post
Distance wise (as the bird flies), the seat of Oglethorpe County (which is part of the Athens-Clarke MSA and the ATL CSA) is 73 miles from DT ATL...DT Macon is only 4 more miles from DT ATL.
That hardly matters. What people not from Atlanta need to understand is that most of the metro has grown in a NNE direction and a little bit NW and a little bit NE of that.

Over half the metro lived to the northern 1/3 outside of I-285 alone.

If you look at the map J2rescuse posted you can see the darker shading of the urban area boundary.

You will see Athens is far closer to Atlanta's UA than Macon.

There are a significant amount of people starting to cross commute between Gwinnett Co. and Athens. Gwinnett county has over 900,000 people now and will be in striking distance of 1,000,000+ before you know it.

The problem is Macon doesn't have anything like hat reaching down to it.

More problematic is how half of the Macon CSA is in Warber Robbins going further south away from Atlanta.

And... you're comparing Lexington's downtown for the distance, not Athens' downtown. Lexington is really the rural hinterlands of Athens. Oglethorpe is only in the Athens MSA from some light suburban development in winterville

So to us Macon feels much further away than Athens on the whole

Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke2401 View Post
...which are a large part used by the OMB in determining Micropolitan, Metropolitan, and Combined Statistical Areas
Was also wondering would Macon having it's own TV/Radio market prevent this from happening as well... It seems in most cases they share Markets.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 AM

212 posts, read 239,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Was also wondering would Macon having it's own TV/Radio market prevent this from happening as well... It seems in most cases they share Markets.
True, I don't think their is a CSA that would compare to the size of a hypothetical ATL....-Macon-Bibb

Old 05-06-2017, 02:03 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
I thought Rome was going to be included in Atl CSA before Athens 2010 surprise me.

I honestly can imagine Atl CSA growing crazy like that, I think Atl CSA can grow into Macon cause CSA are more relax than MSA. People don't use CSA like that to represent metro size.

Old 05-08-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I thought Rome was going to be included in Atl CSA before Athens 2010 surprise me.

I honestly can imagine Atl CSA growing crazy like that, I think Atl CSA can grow into Macon cause CSA are more relax than MSA. People don't use CSA like that to represent metro size.
Rome Actually makes more sense, at least before Athens so I see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia