U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2017, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,683 posts, read 17,777,801 times
Reputation: 9872

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Yea I've known for awhile from this very forum that Athens has more crime than Oconee County. And it's not like there's a weekly thread dumping on other cities either.
But why Athens? If the OP really wanted to make an argument, he could look up the crime rates at two dozen more cities across the state with even HIGHER crime rates ... many of them rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2017, 06:17 PM
 
Location: GA
178 posts, read 429,942 times
Reputation: 85
I'm sure it's more apparent to the locals, but in comparison to Georgia's other larger towns, not the rural ones, I rarely see Athens crime brought up. I dont see crimes involving UGA victims talked about nearly as much as crimes against GT students, and though very similar, it's not talked about in the same light as crime in Augusta, Columbus and definitely not Macon or Albany.

i.e. I never see people saying to avoid Athens because of crime like they say about Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,683 posts, read 17,777,801 times
Reputation: 9872
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
I'm sure it's more apparent to the locals, but in comparison to Georgia's other larger towns, not the rural ones, I rarely see Athens crime brought up. I dont see crimes involving UGA victims talked about nearly as much as crimes against GT students, and though very similar, it's not talked about in the same light as crime in Augusta, Columbus and definitely not Macon or Albany.

i.e. I never see people saying to avoid Athens because of crime like they say about Macon.
They don't say to avoid Savannah either ... or Augusta and Columbus for that matter. Sorry you live in Macon and got your feelings hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2017, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,599 posts, read 8,010,013 times
Reputation: 4424
Yeah I find this perplexing.

In m not sure who is giving Athens a pass. I lived there for 7 years as a student and the issue was constantly brought up.

Athens as a city isn't near as successful of a city as others being compared to in the OP. Many do know it as a college city, which gives it a charm and character t many cherish. But I don't think it gets a pass on this issue. Most graduate and move on and it is an issue the raise often locally.

The region of Athens is nowhere near as large as Columbus, Augusta or Macon, which probably why you don't hear it brought up as often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 PM
 
Location: GA
178 posts, read 429,942 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
They don't say to avoid Savannah either ... or Augusta and Columbus for that matter. Sorry you live in Macon and got your feelings hurt.
It's racism basically, but no one wants to talk about that. Macon's more black. Bibb with a similar crime rate as Musocgee and lower than Richmond but it's filled with "undesirables" (city-data code word)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2017, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,683 posts, read 17,777,801 times
Reputation: 9872
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
It's racism basically, but no one wants to talk about that. Macon's more black. Bibb with a similar crime rate as Musocgee and lower than Richmond but it's filled with "undesirables" (city-data code word)
Did you really just pull the race card?! Wow ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 AM
 
31,800 posts, read 29,522,213 times
Reputation: 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Yeah I find this perplexing.

In m not sure who is giving Athens a pass. I lived there for 7 years as a student and the issue was constantly brought up.

Athens as a city isn't near as successful of a city as others being compared to in the OP. Many do know it as a college city, which gives it a charm and character t many cherish. But I don't think it gets a pass on this issue. Most graduate and move on and it is an issue the raise often locally.

The region of Athens is nowhere near as large as Columbus, Augusta or Macon, which probably why you don't hear it brought up as often
I think the wording "giving the city a pass" is inaccurate to a degree but I can see what the OP is getting at. Cities with above-average crime rates that also have other things that make it a draw fare better in terms of perception than cities with above-average crime with little else to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,599 posts, read 8,010,013 times
Reputation: 4424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the wording "giving the city a pass" is inaccurate to a degree but I can see what the OP is getting at. Cities with above-average crime rates that also have other things that make it a draw fare better in terms of perception than cities with above-average crime with little else to offer.
I still don't see it. When I lived there the issue was brought up constantly. Because the size of the out was so small it actually had an often cited stat that made it have one if the highest poverty rates by county.

Athens is not a very successful city beyond the college and college town amenities, sadly. As a metro/region it's smaller that what it's being compared to.

If it has a better perception, it is from the college/college town, but not from might as a city.It hasn't had bear the success of Augusta or Columbus. It doesn't quite have the historic charm Savannah is known for that gives it a a very positive perception.

To be frank, what made it so great was it was so low-demand and cheap college students could afford a great life there.

I think this is misplaced insecurities.

Given the other discussion playing out, I think the heart if the problem is an insecurity with Macon and not really comparison of Athens to all of the different cities.

The real problem Macon has is Warner Robbins was just far enough away it grew more like a close by neighboring city and less like a part if Macon, even if just a suburb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 12:43 PM
 
31,800 posts, read 29,522,213 times
Reputation: 20061
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I still don't see it. When I lived there the issue was brought up constantly. Because the size of the out was so small it actually had an often cited stat that made it have one if the highest poverty rates by county.

Athens is not a very successful city beyond the college and college town amenities, sadly. As a metro/region it's smaller that what it's being compared to.

If it has a better perception, it is from the college/college town, but not from might as a city.It hasn't had bear the success of Augusta or Columbus. It doesn't quite have the historic charm Savannah is known for that gives it a a very positive perception.

To be frank, what made it so great was it was so low-demand and cheap college students could afford a great life there.

I think this is misplaced insecurities.

Given the other discussion playing out, I think the heart if the problem is an insecurity with Macon and not really comparison of Athens to all of the different cities.

The real problem Macon has is Warner Robbins was just far enough away it grew more like a close by neighboring city and less like a part if Macon, even if just a suburb
I don't doubt that internally, crime is a major point of discussion by residents of the city. But externally, it is UGA that gives it an identity and so that's what mainly frames the perception of the city. It's not much different from crime in, say, Savannah or Charleston. People on the outside are somewhat willing to overlook that to a degree because of what those cities offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2017, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,599 posts, read 8,010,013 times
Reputation: 4424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't doubt that internally, crime is a major point of discussion by residents of the city. But externally, it is UGA that gives it an identity and so that's what mainly frames the perception of the city. It's not much different from crime in, say, Savannah or Charleston. People on the outside are somewhat willing to overlook that to a degree because of what those cities offer.
But are you trying to say the perception of Athens overall it better than that of Savannah, Charleston, Columbus, Augusta, etc.... ?

I see them as historic and/or more economical successful cities functioning in their own right.

Athens really grew up round the college, less that of a metropolitan on its way to a half million or more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top