U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM

1,028 posts, read 538,239 times

Advertisements

No matter its population,Savannah is Georgia's second city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:38 PM

1,497 posts, read 981,685 times
Well Chatham county is certainly the most populous Georgia County outside of the metro Atlanta region

Old 05-02-2017, 02:07 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,610,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I've never understood why Beaufort County, SC is not included in Savanah's MSA.. I feel like Savannah gets shortchanged because of this. I mean their airport is even called the Savannah/Hilton Head airport.. why is Hilton Head and Bluffton not part of teh greater Savannag MSA. If it was included, Savannah would have the second largest MSA in the state after Atlanta
Totally Agree,,, In truth, Savannah should be the 2nd largest metro and city. Only reason it isn't the 2nd largest City is Savannah isn't Consolidated like Georgia's other 2nd Tiers and like you said before, Beaufort County, SC. should be included in the Savannah Metro Area. It's funny because not only does Macon have a special makeup and case, so does Savannah, especially with it being Georgia's Coastal Metro. That's why you really can't compare Georgia's cities and metro's, they are all unique in their own make up. Atlanta it the Huge Metro-Big City, Macon-Warner Robins has a Mini Twin city infrastructure of sort's going on with its Suburban counterparts. Savannah is the Coastal Metro, while Augusta and Columbus kinda stand on their own as two state metro's. Its kinda neat and diverse if you think about it...

Old 05-02-2017, 05:20 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,414,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
No matter its population, Savannah is Georgia's second city.
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
I've never understood why Beaufort County, SC is not included in Savanah's MSA.. I feel like Savannah gets shortchanged because of this. I mean their airport is even called the Savannah/Hilton Head airport.. why is Hilton Head and Bluffton not part of teh greater Savannag MSA.
Answer: Commuting patterns -- they determine MSA eligibility (proportion of commuters significant in at least one direction) and CSA eligibility (commuting again, but a lot less required for CSA). South Carolina just doesn't have enough people commuting to Savannah-Chatham County for work, while very few Chatham Countians work in S.C. Also, lots of people in Hilton Head and Bluffton don't commute anyplace, as they're retired. All this prevents a Savannah-Beaufort MSA.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 05-02-2017 at 05:41 PM..

Old 05-02-2017, 05:33 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,414,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Only reason Savannah isn't the 2nd largest City is Savannah isn't Consolidated like Georgia's other 2nd Tiers and like you said before, Beaufort County, SC. should be included in the Savannah Metro Area. It's funny because not only does Macon have a special makeup and case, so does Savannah, especially ...
Consolidation is just an artificial enlargement, and doesn't mean the larger metro area will grow too. The City of Savannah will probably remain within its current boundaries and not consolidate (for the same reasons Atlanta won't either: local politics). Still, Savannah's metro is growing faster than all the other 2nd tiers in the state. At the 2020 Census, Savannah's urban population will pass the 300,000 mark (from 260,000 in 2010), while the metro area will pass 400,000 (from 347,000 in 2010). That's much faster growth in 2010-2020 than all other Georgia cities except Atlanta. Atlanta and Savannah are the booming metros in Georgia.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Consolidation is just an artificial enlargement, and doesn't mean the larger metro area will grow too. The City of Savannah will probably remain within its current boundaries and not consolidate (for the same reasons Atlanta won't either: local politics). Still, Savannah's metro is growing faster than all the other 2nd tiers in the state. At the 2020 Census, Savannah's urban population will pass the 300,000 mark (from 260,000 in 2010), while the metro area will pass 400,000 (from 347,000 in 2010). That's much faster growth in 2010-2020 than all other Georgia cities except Atlanta. Atlanta and Savannah are the booming metros in Georgia.
Agreed

Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 PM

1,911 posts, read 4,171,072 times
I wish they'd come up with something besides work commute being the determining factor over what qualifies a place to be within a certain MSA or CSA. Distance should be more of determining factor. When two places are so close together, people are bound to have some sort of interaction with each other. For Savannah-Tybee's "Orange Crush" weekend, one of the main night spots being promoted that kept showing up on my social media timelines was somewhere in Hardeeville, SC but it's not in the Savannah MSA or CSA?

Old 05-03-2017, 06:09 AM

1,028 posts, read 538,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I wish they'd come up with something besides work commute being the determining factor over what qualifies a place to be within a certain MSA or CSA. Distance should be more of determining factor. When two places are so close together, people are bound to have some sort of interaction with each other. For Savannah-Tybee's "Orange Crush" weekend, one of the main night spots being promoted that kept showing up on my social media timelines was somewhere in Hardeeville, SC but it's not in the Savannah MSA or CSA?
I wonder if it is because work and commuting tend to be more stable. Jobs determine the livelihood of cities. Cities decline when they lose jobs and prosper when they gain them. But again, I think one can get too focused on population. It's just bragging rights. Savannah is world renown despite it's smaller population. It's reputation is worth more than its population. It has a healthy growth. That's what really counts.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia Scientist View Post
No matter its population,Savannah is Georgia's second city.
So True, and in most Cases I think when most people think of Cities in Georgia it's Atlanta, Savannah, and then Macon in that order, at least most people I know of that live out of state. I don't think population has much to do with this but more dealing with popularity, what the state is known for or maybe even access of Georgia Freeway Systems. Atlanta and Macon having the most of the Major Freeways and interchanges plays a part in this, Not to mention Savannah has I-95 and I-16 junction. Augusta doesn't do too bad as well when it come to popularity, especially when it come to the Master's as well as it has I-20. I think the biggest looser in this by far is Columbus, GA. and this isn't to sound harsh but #1, when people think of Columbus, first thought is Columbus, OH. so all the popularity goes to its Big City Counterpart in the Midwest, not to Georgia. Secondly, it doesn't have a Major Freeway, just the 185 spur into the city that dead ends. Not taking from Columbus because it has done pretty well without a major freeway running through.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 AM

1,983 posts, read 1,674,936 times
Can the rest of you can keep the population growth? I went to Pooler and it took 20 minutes to exit Publix. They cut all the trees down and the stripmall sprawl is just sad. It says a lot, that the "Welcome to Pooler" was a tiny cheap little flag on a pole 5 feet by 5 feet or so, next to towering video billboards for ads for whatever. At least that was my impression. I used to live there before all that. So ... people that are considering.. Move to Columbus.. they want ya! Like reeeally want you, to move there! Based on their forum here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or