U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:34 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,466,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Agreed
Augusta isn't growing as fast (percentage wise) as Savannah but in raw number growth metro Augusta is slightly ahead of metro Savannah from 2010-2016. To say Atlanta and Savannah are the only two that's growing isn't exactly true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 10:45 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,541,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Augusta isn't growing as fast (percentage wise) as Savannah but in raw number growth metro Augusta is slightly ahead of metro Savannah from 2010-2016. To say Atlanta and Savannah are the only two that's growing isn't exactly true.
Augusta is a bit of a scary commodity because the city has been hindered by it's own dysfunctional government and school system. Columbia and Aiken County have been growing like crazy which has kept the area in it but it appears with the cyber explosion from Army Cyber Command, Georgia Cyber Innovation and Training Center and Augusta Univeristy Cyber Institute working together the city proper could see a fairly large growth in young singles particularly around it's downtown area. Columbia and Aiken County stand to gain the most families unless the RCBOE improves it's Schools not named Davidson and Johnson.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Augusta is a bit of a scary commodity because the city has been hindered by it's own dysfunctional government and school system. Columbia and Aiken County have been growing like crazy which has kept the area in it but it appears with the cyber explosion from Army Cyber Command, Georgia Cyber Innovation and Training Center and Augusta Univeristy Cyber Institute working together the city proper could see a fairly large growth in young singles particularly around it's downtown area. Columbia and Aiken County stand to gain the most families unless the RCBOE improves it's Schools not named Davidson and Johnson.
While that may be true, The metro has still grown in pure numbers more than any other in GA except metro Atlanta.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:43 PM

1,497 posts, read 982,916 times
Any growth that the cyber center brings will largely come to Columbia County and secondly to Aiken.
In fact I am already seeing it in my neighborhood in the Grovetown area. Most of the new neighbors have been young professionals associated with Fort Gordon and The Cyber Center.
The population of Richmond County has been essentially stagnant for the past 20 years and I would not really expect that to change. Higher property taxes, dysfunctional government, atrocious public school system, and degrading city services are just some of the reasons newcomers to the area are steering clear of Richmond county

Old 05-03-2017, 03:28 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,416,425 times
Quote:
While that may be true, The [Augusta] metro has still grown in pure numbers more than any other in GA except metro Atlanta.
Quote:
That's simply not true. Metro Augusta gained a total of 30,046 residents over those 6 years, or +5.32%. Savannah gained 36,413 residents (+10.48). Metro Savannah's new residents exceed metro Augusta's in raw numbers as well as percentage. Considering that metro Augusta is also one-third larger than metro Savannah, that is significant.

Finally, I didn't say other Georgia MSAs weren't "growing." Augusta, Athens, and Warner Robins are all growing. But Atlanta, Savannah, and perhaps Gainesville are the ones truly booming.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 05-03-2017 at 03:38 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 04:04 PM

31,859 posts, read 29,600,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
So True, and in most Cases I think when most people think of Cities in Georgia it's Atlanta, Savannah, and then Macon in that order, at least most people I know of that live out of state.
Ummm, I doubt that. Augusta is almost certainly third after Savannah.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 PM

1,497 posts, read 982,916 times
More specifically, Columbia County... Augusta.. the city... is not really growing at all. When the recent census estimates were released it showed that 75% of the growth in metro Augusta was all in Columbia county with much of the remainder in Aiken County. The population of Augusta-Richmond County barely grew at all.. around 200 ppl for a county with a population of around 200,000

Old 05-03-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
That's simply not true. Metro Augusta gained a total of 30,046 residents over those 6 years, or +5.32%. Savannah gained 36,413 residents (+10.48). Metro Savannah's new residents exceed metro Augusta's in raw numbers as well as percentage. Considering that metro Augusta is also one-third larger than metro Savannah, that is significant.

Finally, I didn't say other Georgia MSAs weren't "growing." Augusta, Athens, and Warner Robins are all growing. But Atlanta, Savannah, and perhaps Gainesville are the ones truly booming.
Do the math before you call me out. First, I looked at the official census from 2010 not the revised numbers.
And Actually, only Atlanta is booming in terms of raw numbers. I never been a fan of percentages because a smaller metro with a solid growth will always have a higher percentage.

Augusta metro 2010: 556,877 revised (564,873)
Augusta metro 2016: 594,919

Savannah metro 2010: 347,611
Savannah metro 2016: 384,204

Last edited by cdw1084; 05-03-2017 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 08:41 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,416,425 times
Quote:
Do the math before you call me out. First, I looked at the official census from 2010 not the revised numbers.
And Actually, only Atlanta is booming in terms of raw numbers. I never been a fan of percentages because a smaller metro with a solid growth will always have a higher percentage.

Augusta metro 2010: 556,877 revised (564,873)
Augusta metro 2016: 594,919

Savannah metro 2010: 347,611
Savannah metro 2016: 384,204
I have the honor to inform you that "revised" figures from US Census are the official statistics. They're corrections, the final stats going forward, and the previous charts are no longer valid. The Census Bureau always revisits population tracts, adjusts them for errors (thus, 556,877 for Augusta is not accurate), and the old stat becomes obsolete. It's official, bro: the US Census website reports that metro Savannah -- about one-third smaller than metro Augusta -- gained more residents than Augusta for the years you cited: 2010-2016. Atlanta, Savannah, and Gainesville are in the booming category in Georgia. They are the only Georgia cities that make the cut.

P.S. Again, I'd rather wait for the official 2020 US Census figures for urban areas, but the OP's figures from German Demographia show that Savannah's urban area gained 34,000 residents for 2010-2017 while Augusta gained 28,000. It's statistically significant when the smaller area gains more "warm bodies" than the larger one does, but it's highly significant when the larger city already had 100,000 more residents to begin with.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 05-04-2017 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-04-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I have the honor to inform you that "revised" figures from US Census are the official statistics. They're corrections, the final stats going forward, and the previous charts are no longer valid. The Census Bureau always revisits population tracts, adjusts them for errors (thus, 556,877 for Augusta is not accurate), and the old stat becomes obsolete. It's official, bro: the US Census website reports that metro Savannah -- about one-third smaller than metro Augusta -- gained more residents than Augusta for the years you cited: 2010-2016. Atlanta, Savannah, and Gainesville are in the booming category in Georgia. They are the only Georgia cities that make the cut.

P.S. Again, I'd rather wait for the official 2020 US Census figures for urban areas, but the OP's figures from German Demographia show that Savannah's urban area gained 34,000 residents for 2010-2017 while Augusta gained 28,000. It's statistically significant when the smaller area gains more "warm bodies" than the larger one does, but it's highly significant when the larger city already had 100,000 more residents to begin with.

Savannah and Gainesville are not booming but they are growing. Atlanta is booming. As for as Augusta and Savannah go, you are right these are only estimates but to say Savannah is booming and Augusta isn't because of percentages doesn't tell the whole story. The raw numbers are too close and neither is really booming. Also, I'm not talking about the urban areas, I'm talking about the metropolitan area as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or