U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:30 AM

31,859 posts, read 29,592,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You really underestimate Beaufort Co's working population. Retirees are part of the problem, but the main problem is: distance. Commuting from HHI to Savannah is not like commuting from Summerville to Charleston, or Lexington to Columbia, or Pooler to Savannah.

HHI to Savannah would take 45 minutes to 1 hour right now if you took the back way (SC 46). And that is in early May traffic, not summer traffic. From Beaufort would take 1 hour. Commuting from Beaufort Co. to Savannah would be a pain.

Savannah is good for day trips, but not for 5x a week of driving back and forth. You could take the back way - US17 to SC314 to SC46, but it's an uncomfortable route. Or you could take I95, but you'd have to get on I16 or GA21 first. Both of those would take forever and would be going the opposite direction.

There are enough working people that can commute between both - it is just not feasible. Like I said, Savannah or HHI could be nuked and the other wouldn't budge. HHI, Bluffton, and Beaufort provide enough jobs and amenities that working in Savannah isn't needed. And Savannah has no real reason to come work in Bluffton either.
I don't want to discount your point here because it's valid; geography and infrastructure do play a role here as well. I think Colleton County isn't included in the Charleston MSA (or could possibly be added on as a CSA county) for a similar reason: there's no easy way to get from the county's main population center (Walterboro) to Charleston. But that aside, the rapid growth happening in Beaufort County isn't due to a bunch of working-age people moving there. And actually, Beaufort County imports a good bit of folks from outside of the county to work those low-wage service-sector jobs. I recall reading an article years back about how a good bit of folks from Allendale ride a chartered bus down to Hilton Head to work in hotels, fast food restaurants, etc. Beaufort is a bit more of a working town than Hilton Head and if Beaufort was actually located where Hilton Head is, there's a higher chance it would all be a part of Savannah's CSA at the least. The same would be the case if Hardeeville or Ridgeland were a bit bigger; it's only like a 30 minute drive from those towns to Gulfstream, for example. But when I look at the commute statistics and see 66K folks remaining in Beaufort County to work versus 1500 driving over to Savannah, I know they aren't going to be combined any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 01:45 PM

4,463 posts, read 4,633,704 times
I think they will eventually grow into each other as Beaufort and savanah grow.

I wish charleston was closer but it's too far, now a savanah charleston MSA now that would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or