U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:05 PM

10,064 posts, read 10,129,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Georgia has multiple blue areas outside metro Atlanta. It's the same urban vs rural battle that you've been seeing in different states across the south.
Where are these other blue places in Georgia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 07:08 PM

1,413 posts, read 908,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

Old 11-17-2018, 08:41 PM

6,635 posts, read 6,062,515 times
Quote:
The nail biter of a gubernatorial election makes me wonder if there are two Georgias now - Greater Atlanta versus the rest of the state. And is there a sense among some Georgians that Greater Atlanta is a liberal colossus imposing its views on a state that is otherwise largely conservative?
There basically have always been "two Georgias" for as long as one can remember.

During much of the state's history, there has been a dichotomy between a much more progressive/moderate urban Georgia (which is increasingly dominated by a fast-growing Atlanta metropolitan area/region) and a much more conservative rural/exurban Georgia.

As others have remarked over the years after other politically/culturally/socially polarizing battles in Georgia politics, "Atlanta has often dragged Georgia kicking and screaming into the present" on many high-profile cultural and social issues, including and most notably civil rights and business recruitment/economic expansion issues.

The 2018 gubernatorial election was just the latest event to highlight a bright line of sorts that has always existed between urban Georgia and rural/exurban Georgia.

It is just that now, much of the expanse of Atlanta's OTP suburbs (which have been some of the most solid Republican bastions in the nation over about the last four decades or so) appear to be siding with progressive and moderate urban/ITP Democrats instead of deeply conservative rural and exurban Republicans like has been the case over much of the past two decades of GOP domination of Georgia politics.

Much like how Republicans ascended to parity, power and dominance in Georgia politics on the strength of demographic changes in Atlanta's fast-growing suburbs from the 1960's through the early 2000's, Democrats appear to have started to ascend back to at least a position of parity (and possibly an eventual position of power) in Georgia politics on the strength of continued and accelerating demographic changes in Atlanta's fast-growing suburbs.

The exacerbated political polarization of the Trump presidency (while energizing large numbers of conservative rural and exurban voters to seemingly unparalleled heights even for a state that traditionally has been dominated by rural and exurban political interests) has also seemed to motivate large numbers of college-educated suburban voters (who have been a main pillar of GOP dominance of Georgia politics) to align with progressive and moderate Democrats instead of the Republican political interests that they have most often aligned with during the past four decades.

For much of the state's history, there have been "two Georgias." It's just that now it is apparent that there is much more urban/metropolitan Georgia than before by way of the ongoing rapid demographic changes of a fast-growing Atlanta metro area... An Atlanta metro area that has often acted as a moderating influence over an otherwise deeply conservative state of Georgia.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:03 AM

10,064 posts, read 10,129,308 times
What does OTP and ITP mean?

Old 11-18-2018, 10:12 AM

6,635 posts, read 6,062,515 times
Quote:
What does OTP and ITP mean?
"OTP" refers to the traditionally more suburban, exurban and rural area outside of the I-285 Perimeter Highway that rings around the urban core of the Atlanta metropolitan area.

"ITP" refers to the traditionally more urban area inside of the I-285 Perimeter Highway that rings around the urban core of the Atlanta metro area.

OTP = Outside the Perimeter (Outside of the I-285 Perimeter Loop Highway).

ITP = Inside the Perimeter (Inside of the I-285 Perimeter Loop Highway).

Old 11-18-2018, 06:41 PM

13,684 posts, read 17,823,070 times
Thanks for sharing this B2R. I’ve known Charlie since high school and he is indeed an informed political pundit with an uniquely bipartisan take on affairs in Georgia. He has many friends and associates across the political spectrum and travels to all corners of the state often gathering feedback, doing research, speaking to civic groups, etc. I wish his columns had a broader audience because his reasonable / moderate voice is greatly needed right now.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:11 PM

4,512 posts, read 7,570,572 times
Quote:
Outside of Atlanta, you’ve got Athens, Savannah, Augusta, Macon, Columbus, Hinesville and Albany.... reflected on the map.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:16 PM

5,045 posts, read 3,090,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Look at NY State - metro NYC is extremely liberal (makes Atlanta look conservative by comparison) yet upstate NY is conservative and feels it doesn’t have a voice.

There will always be an urban - suburban - rural divide to some degree.
I am from upstate NY, and am contemplating retirement in Georgia, so i pop in this forum from time to time.

I was going to make this statement. There are TWO NYs: NYC with LI, and the rest of the state.

Most state policies are designed for NYC, and not so much for upstate. Upstate gets left behind.
Strange considering the Capitol, Albany, IS located upstate.

Of the upstate total area, Albany, Syracuse, Binghamton, buffalo and Rochester areas are only given passing considerations.

The rest of rural upstate is left to either ride the coat tails of those areas or left totally to struggle alone.

I think many states have similar issues, between a major metropolitan area and "the rest of the state ".

Think California, too: either Bay area and/or LA, and the " rest of the state"

Its not unique to Georgia.

If i get to make Georgia my retirement home, i hope Georgia will welcome these Yankees with open arms!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia