Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM

38 posts, read 50,557 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be relocating to the south in the fall, we are considering both Georgia (Atlanta area) and Tennessee (Nashville area). My question is, what is the current political climate in Georgia? We are RUNNING from California because liberal politicians have given us the highest taxes, worst schools, worst healthcare, worst roads, etc in the country. We ARE NOT interested in living California 2.0 in either place.

We are not planning to live in Atlanta proper, we are looking into both the NE and NW suburbs. All input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:53 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I think you would okay in the ATL. There are some liberals here but there are plenty of conservatives, as well as many in the middle.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:16 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Unfortunately, you'll be happy here. At least for now.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Unfortunately, you'll be happy here. At least for now.
Thank you for the input. It's nice to know the infection has gotten there yet.

If you are interested in voting for the liberals, please educate yourself on what it actually does for your state. Liberal politicians have been in control for decades in CA, and it's a disaster. So I wouldn't consider the fact that someone like myself, who is looking for lower taxes, better schools and healthcare, not to mention a more patriotic place to be "unfortunate" at all that it would be in Georgia.

Perhaps you should consider relocating to California. UNFORTUNATELY, sounds like you would be very happy here.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:39 AM

816 posts, read 994,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
Thank you for the input. It's nice to know the infection has gotten there yet.

If you are interested in voting for the liberals, please educate yourself on what it actually does for your state. Liberal politicians have been in control for decades in CA, and it's a disaster. So I wouldn't consider the fact that someone like myself, who is looking for lower taxes, better schools and healthcare, not to mention a more patriotic place to be "unfortunate" at all that it would be in Georgia.

Perhaps you should consider relocating to California. UNFORTUNATELY, sounds like you would be very happy here.
Well, the "infection" is spreading around greater Atlanta, and honestly I see GA turning into more of a "purple" state in the very near future. Just to give you an example, a Democrat took 48% of the vote in a historically red district just a few weeks ago. So that being said, I don't think GA would be a good fit. I would recommend Mississippi or Alabama.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Well, the "infection" is spreading around greater Atlanta, and honestly I see GA turning into more of a "purple" state in the very near future. Just to give you an example, a Democrat took 48% of the vote in a historically red district just a few weeks ago. So that being said, I don't think GA would be a good fit. I would recommend Mississippi or Alabama.
Not sure about that "purple" state theory. While the ATL metro area might be more liberal, the state overall is overwhelmingly red. Not interested in what the liberals "think" they can get done in the future. They "thought" they were going to win last November and suffered quite an embarrassing loss. Not to mention the fact they have lost EVERY special election since, despite MILLIONS being poured in from CA.

Not sure what made you relocate from Boston to ATL, but sounds like you need to research where you came from and what led to its issues.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM

356 posts, read 316,831 times
Having lived in both states, I think you'll likely be happy in GA. Be warned, however, that the real estate prices in Atlanta suburbs with good schools are a little California-like. Not as bad, but not a huge savings (unless you're coming from San Francisco, etc.) To your point about getting away from bad schools, Georgia has a lot of bad schools and you've gotta pony up $ for private school or to live in a good school district if you want to avoid them.

Also, I think a big issue is things don't go well if either party just runs amok. You mentioned California's issues with the Dems having little opposition. Here in GA we're close to the GOP just being able to run amok. Hence being one Nathan Deal veto signature away from anti-gay legislation that would've had major negative implications for the state's people and economy. GA is inching toward being a purple state, which I think is best. Still currently at risk at shooting itself in the foot until the Dems get stronger.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:52 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
My wife and I will be relocating to the south in the fall, we are considering both Georgia (Atlanta area) and Tennessee (Nashville area). My question is, what is the current political climate in Georgia? We are RUNNING from California because liberal politicians have given us the highest taxes, worst schools, worst healthcare, worst roads, etc in the country. We ARE NOT interested in living California 2.0 in either place.

We are not planning to live in Atlanta proper, we are looking into both the NE and NW suburbs. All input is appreciated.
Moxieman, I live in Atlanta and spend a several weeks a year in California for work. I am always happy to return to Atlanta. It is more conservative than California, especially in the suburbs. You will note that the Dems just dumped $32 million on a house raise and still lost, while the Republicans spent $22 million. The district that was at stake includes some very liberal areas as well as some conservative ones. I think Atlantans are watching what's happening in NY, Illinois and California, and we don't want it happening here.

You may miss the beautiful scenery, but that's about all. For more conservative areas, I would look at Kennesaw, Cherokee County, Cobb County, Milton, Sandy Springs, Peachtree City--there are lots of solid conservative areas, it just depends on your lifestyle preferences, budget and where your job will be.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
You'll like Tennessee better.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Moxieman, I live in Atlanta and spend a several weeks a year in California for work. I am always happy to return to Atlanta. It is more conservative than California, especially in the suburbs. You will note that the Dems just dumped $32 million on a house raise and still lost, while the Republicans spent $22 million. The district that was at stake includes some very liberal areas as well as some conservative ones. I think Atlantans are watching what's happening in NY, Illinois and California, and we don't want it happening here.

You may miss the beautiful scenery, but that's about all. For more conservative areas, I would look at Kennesaw, Cherokee County, Cobb County, Milton, Sandy Springs, Peachtree City--there are lots of solid conservative areas, it just depends on your lifestyle preferences, budget and where your job will be.
Thank you for the input, we were very happy to hear about that house race. It's good to know that people actually educate themselves politically about the areas that are failing due to decades of liberal policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia