U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,347 posts, read 20,352,502 times
Reputation: 5502

Advertisements

Walnut Square Mall is an enclosed indoor shopping mall located at the southwest quadrant of East Walnut Avenue and Airport Road in the City of Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia. It is anchored by Belk #188 and Sears #2165 (with Sears Auto Center #6138).

Walnut Square Mall opened Wednesday, 23 July 1980, with Belk #188, Loveman's, J. C. Penney, and Sears #2165 as anchors. Loveman's was acquired by and rebranded to Profitt's. Profitt's was later acquired by Belk. Profitt's store became Belk #188's second Walnut Square Mall store. J. C. Penney closed in 2015.

Sears #2165 and Sears Auto Center #6138, 2150 East Walnut Avenue, Dalton, Georgia 30721-4526

Sears Holdings, parent of Sears, announced Sears #2165 and Sears Auto Center #6138 will close by fall of 2017.

It appears Sears #2165 has closed while Sears Auto Center #6138 remains open presently.

Further reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2017, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,683 posts, read 17,785,118 times
Reputation: 9872


It breaks my heart what's happening to legacy retail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,347 posts, read 20,352,502 times
Reputation: 5502
Walnut Square Mall will have vacancies with two anchors closed. I wonder if there are opportunities to bring in retailers that are not present yet in Dalton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,683 posts, read 17,785,118 times
Reputation: 9872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walnut Square Mall will have vacancies with two anchors closed. I wonder if there are opportunities to bring in retailers that are not present yet in Dalton.
I'm not too terribly familiar with the Dalton market, but I do know that Walnut Square Mall is in a horrible location. Had it been built along the I-75 corridor a bit further north or south, to draw from both Calhoun to the south and Catoosa County to the north, it would likely still be healthy and thriving. The same exact thing can be said for Savannah Mall, which would no doubt be much better off had it gone at I-95 and 204 as originally planned (the investors considered that too far out at the time).

What's the status of Mt. Berry Mall at present? It's struggled from day 1 and appeared no better (or worse) last time I was in Rome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2017, 03:50 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,347 posts, read 20,352,502 times
Reputation: 5502
I am not familiar with Mount Berry Mall in Rome. I can look into that today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 09:21 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,391 times
Reputation: 20
Default Inaccurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Walnut Square Mall is an enclosed indoor shopping mall located at the southwest quadrant of East Walnut Avenue and Airport Road in the City of Dalton in Whitfield County, Georgia. It is anchored by Belk #188 and Sears #2165 (with Sears Auto Center #6138).

Walnut Square Mall opened Wednesday, 23 July 1980, with Belk #188, Loveman's, J. C. Penney, and Sears #2165 as anchors. Loveman's was acquired by and rebranded to Profitt's. Profitt's was later acquired by Belk. Profitt's store became Belk #188's second Walnut Square Mall store. J. C. Penney closed in 2015.

Sears #2165 and Sears Auto Center #6138, 2150 East Walnut Avenue, Dalton, Georgia 30721-4526

Sears Holdings, parent of Sears, announced Sears #2165 and Sears Auto Center #6138 will close by fall of 2017.

It appears Sears #2165 has closed while Sears Auto Center #6138 remains open presently.

Further reading
The Auto Center is still open and is remaining open through the end of the year. I work there. It's because of articles like this that tell people we're closed that has made us lose a lot of business and may very well make us close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2017, 09:33 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,347 posts, read 20,352,502 times
Reputation: 5502
Default Sears Auto Center #6138, Walnut Square Mall, 2150 East Walnut Avenue, Dalton, Georgia 30721-4526

I liked Sears Auto Center years ago.

The first sign of a Sears closing has been the adjacent Sears Auto Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2017, 05:12 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,391 times
Reputation: 20
That's great that you liked it but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. The Auto Center has been doing better than the Sears store all year. Also Sears closing has nothing to do with the auto center. We're different companies under SHC and can operate as a standalone store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
20,347 posts, read 20,352,502 times
Reputation: 5502
Default Sears Auto Center #6138, Walnut Square Mall, 2150 East Walnut Avenue, Dalton, Georgia 30721-4526

Thank you for clarifying Sears Auto Center #6138 remains open.

I will disagree with you about me not knowing what I am talking about. Sears Holdings Corporation continues to make headlines every three or four months announcing more Kmart, Sears, and Sears Auto Center location closings. A customer wonders if/when the nearest store will close. An associate wonders if he or she will remained employed. Sears Holdings Corporation has ongoing grave concerns about staying in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Closer than you think!
2,210 posts, read 3,460,307 times
Reputation: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm not too terribly familiar with the Dalton market, but I do know that Walnut Square Mall is in a horrible location. Had it been built along the I-75 corridor a bit further north or south, to draw from both Calhoun to the south and Catoosa County to the north, it would likely still be healthy and thriving. The same exact thing can be said for Savannah Mall, which would no doubt be much better off had it gone at I-95 and 204 as originally planned (the investors considered that too far out at the time).

What's the status of Mt. Berry Mall at present? It's struggled from day 1 and appeared no better (or worse) last time I was in Rome.
The mall in Rome is worse off than the mall in Dalton. Rome has better shopping options throughout the city compared to Dalton but Dalton is much closer to Chattanooga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top