U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM

9 posts, read 9,446 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My boyfriend, our dog, and I are thinking of moving to Athens.
We have no "real" reason to move there, besides that we are looking for a change of pace and willing to do whatever work to pay the bills. We currently live in Iowa City, Iowa and love practically everything about it – besides that it's too close to home. It's a small college town, I can walk to work, there's a TON of local business, restaurants are extremely dog friendly, we feel extremely safe here, and the community feel is out of this world. There are constantly citywide events that students, families, and adults all take part in.
Just from doing online research, one of the cities that has consistently shown up in that it possesses similar qualities is Athens, Georgia.
Would you all agree with this? I haven't been, personally, but just from looking online it seems like a safe place to be, clearly in the heart of UGA, with a lot of shops and a lot to do. Housing seems affordable. Something that's really important to us and our move right now is staying within a "small city" feel, and having easy access to walking/hiking/nature.
I'm basically just asking whether people think Athens fits this description and would be right place for us to move right now.
Like I said earlier, we both have degrees but aren't looking for any permenant work- just whatever will pay the bills and afford us an easygoing lifestyle for this year. Whether that's serving/bartending/working several part-time jobs is fine with us.
If not Athens, can you think of any other cities that would better match this description?
Thank you for your time!
Looking forward to your replies.

Last edited by charliechicken; 07-04-2017 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 07:54 PM

31 posts, read 22,257 times
Athens is a classic Southern university town. I find it most comparable to Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and Charlottesville, Virginia, in that the university really dominates the town. I'm a son of the South, but also fairly liberal by Southern standards, so I find cities like these to be the best of both worlds.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 PM

13,681 posts, read 17,765,043 times
Athens is the quintessential college town -- many say the best college town in the nation. Though the UGA campus dominates, it's big enough to have an economy and culture beyond the university community. Downtown Athens is charming beyond words -- nothing but bars, sidewalk cafes, bars, coffee shops, bars, cool shops, bars, fine eateries and bars. If a liberal, hippy, granola, indie / alt music scene is what you're looking for, then Athens is definitely for you. Amazing town!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musi...thens,_Georgia

Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 PM

9,765 posts, read 4,859,583 times
You might consider Greenville SC. It is close to the Blue Ridge mountains and there is a small mountain,Paris Mountain, 10 minutes from downtown with a large state park.

It is not a college town but has a college town vibe. It has numerous festivals and a Saturday farmers market downtown. A lot ofoutdoor and rooftop seating at restaurants, retail, minor league baseball stadium and a 30 foot drop waterfall right on Main Street with a massive pedestrian bridge over it.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at Lido Beach)
1,942 posts, read 3,875,531 times
I know this is an old thread...

I used to work in Athens, GA on weekends - it reminds me of a smaller version of Greenville, SC - both have fantastic DT areas (with Athens, of course, being smaller).

The Univ of GA campus is gorgeous (and expansive). Excellent local hospitals. Athens is close to the amenities of Atlanta. Speaking with locals, Athens is a blue island surrounded by a sea of red (much like Asheville, NC).

Last edited by drfranklin; 09-09-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-09-2017, 11:33 AM

1,989 posts, read 1,594,166 times
I LOVE both Athens (I am a Georgia alumni) AND Greenville. Both are lovely cities, but I admit when reflecting on raising a family and/ or being close to outdoor activities, Greenville would have a slight edge. Greenville has MUCH better shopping, too, in my opinion, but Athens, as the other poster mentioned is VERY close to everything Metro Atlanta has to offer. So maybe, at best its a toss up.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:35 PM

1,497 posts, read 979,306 times
Athens is going to be very similar to Charlottesville, VA and Chapel Hill, NC. Similar size, very much a college town.
Greenville, SC is also very nice and probably more "family oriented"..but that area of SC also happens to be very politically conservative. It is the home of Bob Jones University btw, where interracial dating was banned not all that long ago. If you lean to being more politically liberal then I think Athens is a better bet. It is indeed an island of blue in a sea of red...much like Asheville, NC. Greenville has a more diversified economy whereas in Athens, Most of the economy revolves around UGA. You are only about 60 miles from Atlanta in Athens and even closer to the Gwinnett County suburbs so weekend shopping trips are very easy.
I personally really like the size of Athens. It has a wonderful downtown area and there is always something going on.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:19 PM

9,765 posts, read 4,859,583 times
Bob Jones is a small private university, it is like 3000 students. Residents of the metro have no interaction with it unless they work there. And you are talking about something the university did decades ago as though it is relevant to today. There were racist people living in Athens back then too.

There are tons of liberals and Democrats in the Greenville metro and Upstate. Athens has a lot of Republican kids out of the middle class suburbs in Georgia.

I think living in Athens or any college town wouldn't be that appealing if I didn't attend the university or work there.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:06 AM

6 posts, read 7,441 times
Default Athens

I don't recommend renting an apartment, though. Go for renting an entire house, if not duplex, townhome or condo.

Stay the hell away from the East Side as far as renting goes, take a look at the crime map.

Depending on where you are moving from, please be aware regarding apartments what in others states qualify as fraud, and even at times a misdemeanor or worse, here it's acceptable and at most a possible civil action.

It's nice to stay for a few years and then move on. I'm here now but looking to move.

Great music scene if you like punk or edgier material. A lot of nice parks to walk around and for the most part people are nice but the business ethics are completely out of wack due to ordinances/statutes being ignored and ill-enforced but for easy money makers like 'expired tags' or 'cracked tail light' which are both misdemeanors and will get your mugshot taken...

Old 12-26-2017, 01:21 PM

294 posts, read 194,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Athens is the quintessential college town -- many say the best college town in the nation. Though the UGA campus dominates, it's big enough to have an economy and culture beyond the university community. Downtown Athens is charming beyond words -- nothing but bars, sidewalk cafes, bars, coffee shops, bars, cool shops, bars, fine eateries and bars. If a liberal, hippy, granola, indie / alt music scene is what you're looking for, then Athens is definitely for you. Amazing town!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musi...thens,_Georgia
Athens (university area) is nice, but in no way is it better than Auburn, AL. That is a VERY nice college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or