U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:43 AM

1,497 posts, read 979,839 times

Advertisements

You should be fine if you stay in the northern burb/exurbs.. East Cobb County, North Fulton (Milton), NW Gwinnett, Forsythe County.. you should feel among kinfred spirits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 12:04 PM

609 posts, read 457,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The fact that OP had to ask the question, is a good sign I guess.

And honestly, I don't want Georgia to be California, with all their financial problems and such. And I don't want high taxes. I just simply want a non-crazy-conservative state with a moderate governor (of either party) a moderate to progressive social climate (with Bible-belt bigotry pushed far to the fringe), a friendly business climate with good economy and jobs (we already have that- just maintain it), but also with at least average or above average education performance, much improved health-related stats and general quality of life stats, better upward mobility ranking and a more equitable economy in general, and appropriate taxation levels that appropriately fund the appropriate amount of services, including vast commuter transit expansions and general road maintenance and infrastructure upkeep.

And legal pot. Legal and taxed.
Georgia appears to be on the same trajectory as Virginia which has a purple electorate but a deep red state legislature becuase of gerrymandering. In about a decade, perhaps a little sooner, the state's demographics will be such that Democrats will be able to win statewide offices. Barring other unlikely changes, the Republicans will keep their stranglehold on the state legislature well into the next decade through gerrymandering.

Aggregate educational attainment and health status are a function of median income for a given state. The states with the highest income and least poverty are at the top of both, MA for example. Put another way if we swapped teachers between Forsyth and Atlanta, APS wouldn't soon achieve Forsyth's median SAT score and vice versa. Georgia will continue to have a high poverty rate and will continue to fall lower on the education and health league tables for the foreseeable future.

I agreee re: taxes.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:14 PM

38 posts, read 37,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Eh, okay. I think it's pretty clear from the OP's posts that he/she is absolutely no fan of liberal/progressive ideology.
You are absolutely correct, and I am glad I made it so clear. I would advise anyone in Georgia who yearns for the liberals to reign to walk the talk (which they are usually incapable of), and relocate to California.

Thank you to everyone for the input. We have selected the areas which we are interested in buying a home in.

And to my fellow conservatives, we know TONS of people who share our ideology that are looking to evacuate California. So maybe all the Georgia "purpleness" might just keep that reddish tint.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:30 PM

6,517 posts, read 3,789,712 times
Thankfully I'm sure there are ar least as many Democratic voters moving from California to Georgia as there are Republicans, if not more.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM

724 posts, read 651,289 times
Quote:
Thankfully I'm sure there are ar least as many Democratic voters moving from California to Georgia as there are Republicans, if not more.
And from Massachusetts. New York. Maryland. Etc Etc. Not to mention the surprisingly large amount of born and breed Metro Atlantans that tend to lean left of center. I guess stereotypes are just that. Stereotypes.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Then that would mean that Democratic voters are even more narrow minded than I have previously thought. If one loves liberalism so much, and it is so great, why on earth would they leave their amazing California? Don't count on it my friend.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
And from Massachusetts. New York. Maryland. Etc Etc. Not to mention the surprisingly large amount of born and breed Metro Atlantans that tend to lean left of center. I guess stereotypes are just that. Stereotypes.
Again, if liberalism is working and is so great, why would one ever leave any of those states. Sounds like wishful thinking to me. But, then again, Hillary and her staff were popping champagne the morning of the election....

Old 08-02-2017, 02:21 PM

6,517 posts, read 3,789,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
Then that would mean that Democratic voters are even more narrow minded than I have previously thought. If one loves liberalism so much, and it is so great, why on earth would they leave their amazing California? Don't count on it my friend.
Because California is too expensive, and/or they landed a good job here, or plenty of other possible reasons.

I mean, why do you live in California? BTW, how long have you lived there?

Old 08-02-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Because California is too expensive, and/or they landed a good job here, or plenty of other possible reasons.

I mean, why do you live in California? BTW, how long have you lived there?
EXACTLY. California IS too expensive. Why, you ask? Because of the MASSIVE tax burden levied on its citizens by liberal politicians. Taxes that are used to pay for college for illegal immigrants, gender reassignment surgeries for prison inmates, etc, etc.....

As you saw in my original post, we are leaving California. I have been here 8 years.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 PM

8,317 posts, read 7,493,163 times
Personally, I admire "Eisenhower" Republicans, not "Fox News" Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or