U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 PM

38 posts, read 37,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I think there are some politicians who are mostly like that, and some that are maybe sometimes sort of like that, but a lot of people really do genuinely care. Don't be obtuse or blind to that.

Politics is kind of a related yet different thing to the actual issues, and people who care about such things.

Well, you're definitely going to fit in well in Georgia. Way to hit the jackpot there.

I'm a white, straight, atheist, liberal/libertarian male, and I don't necessarily have a problem with all Christians or conservatives, just the ones who are morons/ignorant/repulsive/you get the general idea.

And if you're a Republican, fine. That doesn't necessarily mean you're a terrible person. Who knows, while you're living in Georgia, maybe you'll learn/study/think more about everything, and your positions and views will evolve past blaming everything on "liberals". I know you vehemently don't think so, but maybe you will change. It happens.

While I agree that you can never say "all", I can tell you for sure that most of your "powerhouse" liberals are only selling you a song for the price of a vote. Again, trust me, I've been living in it.

Glad to hear I'll be right at home in Georgia, I look forward to it immensely.

I am glad to hear you don't necessarily have a problem with all Christians, since you are living in a country founded on Judeo/Christian values. I don't necessarily have a problem with all atheists. However, I do pray for all of them.

Again, I'm glad you think it's fine that I am a Republican and moving to your state. (Which is by-the-way a red state). Also, don't think that my views on liberalism are due to a lack of experience in another society. I grew up in the South. I've lived in both a very conservative state AND now 8 years in California. I know liberalism is a disease on freedom from personal experience. You sit in your red state and complain about how it isn't "inclusive" enough and run ignorantly to the ballot box to "fight" for it whenever someone sells you some snake oil and says they're the ones to fix it.

Maybe you should move to California for a few years and walk the talk. Then maybe your positions/views will evolve a bit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:58 PM

10,971 posts, read 8,044,800 times
moxieman2 - Think you will find people that lean both political directions but especially a lot of moderates around metro Atlanta as Georgia is a purple state. So there are plenty of conservatives in that mix (and I count myself as an economic conservative among them). But if you really are so extreme that you "know liberalism is a disease on freedom from personal experience" then Atlanta is probably not the place for you. Here in Atlanta our Republican governor does things like vetoing homophobic "bathroom" laws and our Democrat mayor slashes tax rates and improves our credit rating. And they both work together to push for things like deepening the harbor in Savannah.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,026,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
Well, the "infection" is spreading around greater Atlanta, and honestly I see GA turning into more of a "purple" state in the very near future. Just to give you an example, a Democrat took 48% of the vote in a historically red district just a few weeks ago. So that being said, I don't think GA would be a good fit. I would recommend Mississippi or Alabama.
Not sure if it really indicates anything. Democrats from around the country were bombarding that race with money, and still lost.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:39 PM

6,517 posts, read 3,789,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
I am glad to hear you don't necessarily have a problem with all Christians, since you are living in a country founded on Judeo/Christian values.
Sorry to break it to you, but the United States was not founded on Judeo/Christian values. Yeah, I know Sean Hannity told you it was, but anyone with an actual education will tell you that the founders of this country were secularists, mostly deists, who generally had some concept of a creator god, but rejected Judeo-Christian or any other specific doctrine. They rejected an interventionist god in the first place, let alone founded this nation on any god-values or any of that.

The Constitution which founds and defines the country, contains no references at all to God, Jesus, Christianity, Judaism, the Bible, or any of that. Let alone "founds the country" on it. In fact the only mentions of religion are in Article VI where it prohibits religious tests. And of course Amendment I, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"... So, yeah.

"In God We Trust", "One nation under God", Ten Commandments everywhere, and all that stuff, was all a product of the red-scare/McCarthy era 1950's, tacked on to official things centuries later. Had nothing to do with what the country was founded on.

Judeo-Christian values, basically meaning Biblical values or Old Testament values, are actually largely the opposite of what the country was founded on. The U.S. was founded on anti-authority everything, not pro-authority. Judeo-Christianity is all about the servitude of humble man under a sovereign, righteous king (the Bible was conveniently useful for that purpose during the medieval era of absolute monarchies), and yet the founders were all about how man himself is the founder of government which should serve him, and he should reject any claims of power over him, so on and so forth.

"Judeo-Christian" is a ridiculous term, anyway. Meaningless tripe of a phrase, like "family values". Christians did nothing but persecute (and sometimes even murder) Jews throughout most of the history of this country, especially back towards the founding era. In fact I think "Judeo-Christian" was a term coined in the 1950's, and just caught on.

Likewise, go back far enough, and Jews persecuted and murdered Christians.

"Judeo-Christian" basically must mean "Abrahamic except we're leaving out Islam which is also Abrahamic". Because the Steve Bannon types who use phrases like "Judeo-Christian" are also anti-Muslim, so they apparently conveniently forget that fact, that the three of those religions are basically variants on the same faith, and they share the same prophets and holy texts and whatnot.

Quote:
I don't necessarily have a problem with all atheists. However, I do pray for all of them.
Yeah, well that's not going to do anything. Prayer doesn't do anything at all. Except maybe make people feel better, or smugly self-righteous or whatever.

I mean, you're sitting here telling me you you're right and I'm wrong about political positions and whatnot, when the foundation of your entire reality is based on myths. Myths about the universe and human history, myths about the founding of the United States... what other falsehoods and misconceptions is your worldview based on? And how does your apparent confusion and general ignorance inform your views on abortion, homosexuality, immigration, and so on?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:26 AM

4,195 posts, read 5,080,073 times
i've been reading the new testament the past few weeks and i don't really see anything in there that aligns with moxieman's sentiments. to be fair it doesn't align with big government liberals either. it seems like most people's political positions and social demographics inform their religious beliefs (or lack thereof). it's not very common in modern american society to find individuals who actively look to religious texts or personal spirituality for guidance on issues like this, people just generally move with the herd.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 AM

6,079 posts, read 3,979,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Not sure if it really indicates anything. Democrats from around the country were bombarding that race with money, and still lost.
And? This is the District that spawned the likes of freaking Newt Gingrich and Tom Price! For a Dem to garner that many votes is Historic, and reflects the changes happening on the Northside in a pretty dramatic fashion.

It's also a reflection of Cobb's distaste for Trump. The majority of the voters in the 6th are there, and Trump didn't win in the Republican primary nor the general election.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:59 AM

38 posts, read 37,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but the United States was not founded on Judeo/Christian values. Yeah, I know Sean Hannity told you it was, but anyone with an actual education will tell you that the founders of this country were secularists, mostly deists, who generally had some concept of a creator god, but rejected Judeo-Christian or any other specific doctrine. They rejected an interventionist god in the first place, let alone founded this nation on any god-values or any of that.

The Constitution which founds and defines the country, contains no references at all to God, Jesus, Christianity, Judaism, the Bible, or any of that. Let alone "founds the country" on it. In fact the only mentions of religion are in Article VI where it prohibits religious tests. And of course Amendment I, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion"... So, yeah.

"In God We Trust", "One nation under God", Ten Commandments everywhere, and all that stuff, was all a product of the red-scare/McCarthy era 1950's, tacked on to official things centuries later. Had nothing to do with what the country was founded on.

Judeo-Christian values, basically meaning Biblical values or Old Testament values, are actually largely the opposite of what the country was founded on. The U.S. was founded on anti-authority everything, not pro-authority. Judeo-Christianity is all about the servitude of humble man under a sovereign, righteous king (the Bible was conveniently useful for that purpose during the medieval era of absolute monarchies), and yet the founders were all about how man himself is the founder of government which should serve him, and he should reject any claims of power over him, so on and so forth.

"Judeo-Christian" is a ridiculous term, anyway. Meaningless tripe of a phrase, like "family values". Christians did nothing but persecute (and sometimes even murder) Jews throughout most of the history of this country, especially back towards the founding era. In fact I think "Judeo-Christian" was a term coined in the 1950's, and just caught on.

Likewise, go back far enough, and Jews persecuted and murdered Christians.

"Judeo-Christian" basically must mean "Abrahamic except we're leaving out Islam which is also Abrahamic". Because the Steve Bannon types who use phrases like "Judeo-Christian" are also anti-Muslim, so they apparently conveniently forget that fact, that the three of those religions are basically variants on the same faith, and they share the same prophets and holy texts and whatnot.

Yeah, well that's not going to do anything. Prayer doesn't do anything at all. Except maybe make people feel better, or smugly self-righteous or whatever.

I mean, you're sitting here telling me you you're right and I'm wrong about political positions and whatnot, when the foundation of your entire reality is based on myths. Myths about the universe and human history, myths about the founding of the United States... what other falsehoods and misconceptions is your worldview based on? And how does your apparent confusion and general ignorance inform your views on abortion, homosexuality, immigration, and so on?
You're actually not breaking anything to me my friend. You're simply misguided, and that's okay.

Article VII of the U.S. Constitution:

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the twelfth....

Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Yea, bunch of atheists.

No doubt you will cite some documents that your lib friends have conjured up to make a case that this really is a secular country and Christians are wrong and we shouldn't have any reference to God anywhere...

Boy....you really do belong in California. Btw, I notice you didn't mention that part of my response.

And of course. If I believe that it's wrong to suck the brain from an infant weeks before its born, or believe in traditional marriage only, or have been paying for illegal immigration for years and know its a disaster.... I am the one who is ignorant or uneducated. Btw, you might be talking to someone with a higher education level than yourself, I just didn't drink the libbie kool-aid in college. You and your friends on the left really need to learn to regurgitate some new talking points. Those are the ones that have lost several elections for you to date. Btw, I'm still laughing my OSOFF

Honestly, I'm kinda done with this dialogue as we have gone way off course. But I do appreciate input earlier in the thread.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:10 AM

6,079 posts, read 3,979,399 times
moxieman2, Atlanta really isn't the right place for you. You would be almost as miserable here as you obviously are in California. This part of Georgia isn't 'solid Red' by any stretch.

Perhaps somewhere in a rural area would be a much better match.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:48 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,261,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
You're actually not breaking anything to me my friend. You're simply misguided, and that's okay.

Article VII of the U.S. Constitution:

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United States of America the twelfth....

Declaration of Independence:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Yea, bunch of atheists.

No doubt you will cite some documents that your lib friends have conjured up to make a case that this really is a secular country and Christians are wrong and we shouldn't have any reference to God anywhere...

Boy....you really do belong in California. Btw, I notice you didn't mention that part of my response.

And of course. If I believe that it's wrong to suck the brain from an infant weeks before its born, or believe in traditional marriage only, or have been paying for illegal immigration for years and know its a disaster.... I am the one who is ignorant or uneducated. Btw, you might be talking to someone with a higher education level than yourself, I just didn't drink the libbie kool-aid in college. You and your friends on the left really need to learn to regurgitate some new talking points. Those are the ones that have lost several elections for you to date. Btw, I'm still laughing my OSOFF

Honestly, I'm kinda done with this dialogue as we have gone way off course. But I do appreciate input earlier in the thread.
The country was founded by Christians, not for Christians. That's why the constitution says we shall not establish a religion. The US has always been religiously diverse as we are a nation of immigrants.

Old 08-03-2017, 05:29 AM

4,195 posts, read 5,080,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You would be almost as miserable here as you obviously are in California.
if their posts indicate the way they act towards other people in real life, which, hopefully, isn't the case, they would probably be miserable living just about anywhere. maybe that's just the way they do in california... hopefully it'll wear off after a few months in GA. or maybe it's just the political climate, the constant connectivity with phones, constant fighting everywhere, overstimulation. it's turning a lot of decent people nuts, and i'm no exception!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or