Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 02:48 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
They're equally corporatist (I'm not gonna cut slack for liberals here), and what we're talking about here is an unnecessary high tax rate that hurts the middle and lower class and yields low results. As of right now, Republican states don't do that to any class of people (we should be taxing the rich more in either case and taxing the middle and lower class less). We need more progressive candidates like Bernie Sanders who appeal to both Democrats and Republicans.
Eh, okay. I think it's pretty clear from the OP's posts that he/she is absolutely no fan of liberal/progressive ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 02:50 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,209,438 times
Metro Atlanta is certainly far more conservative as a whole than the West Coast, but there are plenty of liberals here so I wouldn't suggest assuming random folks you may encounter in the area agree with conservative talking points. In general the more conservative areas are outside I-285, especially in the far north suburbs. The southern states away from the Atlantic seaboard, plus South Carolina, tend to have a center of gravity further right than Georgia does.

Regarding the scenery, the beauty of Atlanta's neighborhoods and landscapes during much of the spring as well as the fall season when leaves are changing has no equivalent in southern California. While it is typically humid, maximum readings in the summer tend to be lower than in inland parts of southern California as well. The weather here is pretty moderate compared to most of the eastern US.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:26 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,438,386 times
This will be nearly impossible to frame, of course, our taxes will never be as high as Cali. Furthermore, how do you politicize something, everyone, benefit from. You can't have good public services and not pay for it. How could we possibly sum up everything the OP is looking for and expecting within a few sentences.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:30 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,177 times

Old 07-05-2017, 03:38 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
it's a mixed bag either way. i would rather have a state government that is transparent, accountable to the people, and keeps its hands out of people's personal lives. neither california nor georgia is like that.

by the way, i don't think you will be happy in atlanta if you're looking to escape liberals or people from different cultural backgrounds. i don't think you'd get along in georgia except maybe the northern or western exurbs of atlanta... you sound more conservative (and with an axe to grind) than the average person in macon or savannah. people are just not as fiery and divided in georgia as they are in california i guess. south carolina and north carolina are similar.

Last edited by bryantm3; 07-05-2017 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 04:11 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
While the ATL metro area might be more liberal, the state overall is overwhelmingly red.
Not really. Obama and Hillary both got around 45% statewide.

Georgia is currently red but it is trending in the purple direction as several have already noted.

Several reasons for this:

1. The minority black and hispanic populations are growing faster than the white population.
2. Atlanta metro is growing faster than other cities and that draws more urban and cosmopolitan types

Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's a mixed bag either way. i would rather have a state government that is transparent, accountable to the people, and keeps its hands out of people's personal lives. neither california nor georgia is like that.

by the way, i don't think you will be happy in atlanta if you're looking to escape liberals or people from different cultural backgrounds. i don't think you'd get along in georgia except maybe the northern or western exurbs of atlanta... you sound more conservative (and with an axe to grind) than the average person in macon or savannah. people are just not as fiery and divided in georgia as they are in california i guess. south carolina and north carolina are similar.
To what, each other? California?

Old 07-05-2017, 04:47 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,826 times
You might want to avoid the core counties(Cobb, Fulton,Gwinnett, and Dekalb). Clinton won all of those counties so I think the people living there would be too liberal for you. Rural Georgia seems it would be better suited for you though they aren't booming and attracting people like their urban counterparts.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:53 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
You might like south Forsyth County. Low taxes, great schools and very conservative. Although, as a liberal, I like hiding behind trees and jumping out shouting "boo!" whenever a Republican is heading my way. :-)

Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
Thank you for the input, we were very happy to hear about that house race. It's good to know that people actually educate themselves politically about the areas that are failing due to decades of liberal policies.
The 6th District is most definitely not "failing." Much of it is upper middle class, especially Dunwoody. Cobb County has some of the best schools in the Atlanta Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia