U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 3,851,170 times

Advertisements

Gwinnett County Public Schools are very well run. You have the some of the top in the state. Now, you have some pretty bad ones if you want a challenge but the overall the schools are well run. The schools on the eastern part of the county are good/very good. Mill Creek, Dacula, Mtn View, Collins Hill, Archer, and many more. I used to sub for Gwinnett so I've been to quite a few if you really want to get into details about areas.
Braselton/Hoschton is nice but schools aren't as good and it's the edge of metro Atlanta, you'll be a lot closer to stuff down in Dacula/most of Lawrenceville/Suwanee/Buford, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 AM

32 posts, read 16,893 times
Hi there! I have lived in the north metro ATL area since 1980 (currently in south Forsyth county). Athens is a great town -- my husband, my daughter, and I all went to UGA (Go Dawgs!) and my son will start in the fall. My husband actually was a TA in Athens when we first got married (we lived in the metro area but a little closer to Athens than we are now) and commuted to and from a few days a week. We don't live in Athens now -- it is about 1 hr 20 mins. from our current home.

Responding to your likes...

We love the beach, lakes, boating, hiking, amusement/water parks -- no beach close (I wish!), Lake Lanier is great and can be accessed from many directions, hiking in north GA mountains not too far from the northern suburbs, we love LanierWorld at Lake Lanier (White Water is bigger but further away)

Safe areas -- speaking only for the area I live -- very safe

We are in our mid/late-twenties
Not into the party scene -- then living in the 'burbs would be a good fit
Ideal date night would be a movie and dinner--or going to the beach/lake

I am terrified of alligators -- I HATE them too! I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and lived on a canal -- never seen one here (thankfully they aren't this far north!)

We love Summer, Fall, Spring--in that order-and mild winters -- ATL perfect fit (although my kids complain we haven't gotten snow in 2 years! -- they get the day off school when it does)

Sunshine for more than half of the year would be ideal -- It has been rainy more recently buy plenty of sun here!

Would prefer to be somewhere that isn't completely flat -- lots of hills (flat is south FLA where I lived
Someplace with similar scenery to Lake Michigan or the UP in Michigan would be awesome! -- I have never been so I can't comment on that.

Husband will be in Nursing and I will be a School Counselor -- south Forsyth and north Gwinnett (the area I live in) all have excellent schools!

Would prefer an area where we won't be sitting in traffic for too long -- if you have to commute downtown from my area, the traffic stinks. But if live and work here, it is fine!

Let me know if you have any more questions about this area. We love it here!!

Old 07-10-2017, 02:02 PM

12 posts, read 13,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara&KellyATL View Post
Hi there! I have lived in the north metro ATL area since 1980 (currently in south Forsyth county). Athens is a great town -- my husband, my daughter, and I all went to UGA (Go Dawgs!) and my son will start in the fall. My husband actually was a TA in Athens when we first got married (we lived in the metro area but a little closer to Athens than we are now) and commuted to and from a few days a week. We don't live in Athens now -- it is about 1 hr 20 mins. from our current home.

Responding to your likes...

We love the beach, lakes, boating, hiking, amusement/water parks -- no beach close (I wish!), Lake Lanier is great and can be accessed from many directions, hiking in north GA mountains not too far from the northern suburbs, we love LanierWorld at Lake Lanier (White Water is bigger but further away)

Safe areas -- speaking only for the area I live -- very safe

We are in our mid/late-twenties
Not into the party scene -- then living in the 'burbs would be a good fit
Ideal date night would be a movie and dinner--or going to the beach/lake

I am terrified of alligators -- I HATE them too! I was born in Ft. Lauderdale and lived on a canal -- never seen one here (thankfully they aren't this far north!)

We love Summer, Fall, Spring--in that order-and mild winters -- ATL perfect fit (although my kids complain we haven't gotten snow in 2 years! -- they get the day off school when it does)

Sunshine for more than half of the year would be ideal -- It has been rainy more recently buy plenty of sun here!

Would prefer to be somewhere that isn't completely flat -- lots of hills (flat is south FLA where I lived
Someplace with similar scenery to Lake Michigan or the UP in Michigan would be awesome! -- I have never been so I can't comment on that.

Husband will be in Nursing and I will be a School Counselor -- south Forsyth and north Gwinnett (the area I live in) all have excellent schools!

Would prefer an area where we won't be sitting in traffic for too long -- if you have to commute downtown from my area, the traffic stinks. But if live and work here, it is fine!

Let me know if you have any more questions about this area. We love it here!!
Thanks for your help Kara&KellyATL! How many months out of the year are you able to comfortably enjoy the lake? Here, we have from approximately mid-June through early September in the surrounding Great Lakes. However, the water stays fairly cold even during the Summer. It's beautiful here, but I need more sunshine throughout the year.

Thanks again!!

Old 07-14-2017, 03:11 PM

Sorry, BeachMaples91, just saw your question about the lake. I put a post on my Facebook page asking for input from all of my Lake Lanier loving friends. They should respond fairly quickly so I will let you know asap!

Old 07-14-2017, 04:38 PM

From my lake-loving, boat-owning friend...

"Lake (Lanier) is great April thru October. And you can get some great days all year round."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or