U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2017, 03:10 PM

36 posts, read 23,755 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm a physician working in Connecticut and I'm sick of the winters here. I'm looking to relocate somewhere warm. My first choice was Florida, however I'm having a difficult time finding a decent paying job in a nice location. I've been researching the West Coast and also considering the South. I've never visited Georgia but have driven through it on a couple of road trips from CT to FL and back so don't really know much about the state. The big problem with California is the exorbitant cost of living so I'm having a look at GA and other southern states.

My ideal location would be a small-mid size town on the coast. I definitely don't want to live in a big congested city and have to deal with traffic (Atlanta is apparently notorious for this).

What's Savannah like? Is it an urban nightmare? Perhaps the suburbs of Savannah?

How's the cost of living in GA compared to CT? Right now I'm renting an apartment (2b/1b) on the beach (Long Island Sound) in a small town for $1500 and am living very comfortably. In fact, if it weren't for the winters I would just stay here because the summers in CT are amazing.

How cold does it get down in GA on the coast?

Are there nice beaches in GA comparable to FL?

Is the GA coast prone to storms/tornadoes?

I'm married and no kids yet but they are in the future. Where would you guys suggest is a good place to raise kids?

So my priorities are the following:
- close to a nice beach
- decent weather (doesn't have to be perfect Miami weather but better than the NE in the winter)
- low crime
- affordable housing (eventually would like to buy some acreage)
- has some culture or at least within driving distance to a city with culture
- great place to raise a family

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:01 AM

23,125 posts, read 36,397,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsigon View Post
What's Savannah like? Is it an urban nightmare? Perhaps the suburbs of Savannah?

I find Savannah lovely, and not simply because of it's Historic District, There are some wonderful suburban communities there (Ardsley Park, Richmond Hill, 'the islands', Pooler).

How's the cost of living in GA compared to CT? Right now I'm renting an apartment (2b/1b) on the beach (Long Island Sound) in a small town for $1500 and am living very comfortably. In fact, if it weren't for the winters I would just stay here because the summers in CT are amazing.

There's really no comparison. I love Connecticut, but the realities are what they are. My husband's cousin and her husband have recently taken retirement and have come to the conclusion that they simply can't sustain their lifestyle in their longtime community of Litchfield. So they're looking southwards.

How cold does it get down in GA on the coast?

There are occasional cold snaps; generally, they only occur in Jan/Feb. By March, you're done.

Are there nice beaches in GA comparable to FL?

They're different than Florida's, but I love then. There is a stronger orientation to nature on the Georgia shoreline, and a much stronger system of protection in place for our shoreline. The marshes and wetlands that you will encounter here will no doubt remind you of parts of the Connecticut coastline (which I find beautiful as well).

Is the GA coast prone to storms/tornadoes?

Not really. We do have your typical summer thunderstorms, but hits from hurricanes are rare (Matthew's hit last October was the first significant hurricane we've had since Dora in 1965).

I'm married and no kids yet but they are in the future. Where would you guys suggest is a good place to raise kids?

Outside of Savannah, I would suggest Brunswick and the Golden Isles, particularly St. Simons Island. The elementary schools on the island are excellent. My daughter, with kids ages 7 and 5, is a refugee from Queens, NY to the island and couldn't be happier over the move.

So my priorities are the following:
- close to a nice beach
- decent weather (doesn't have to be perfect Miami weather but better than the NE in the winter)
- low crime
- affordable housing (eventually would like to buy some acreage)
- has some culture or at least within driving distance to a city with culture
- great place to raise a family

Thanks!
I should add that I and my family have always been impressed with our medical facilities down here.

https://www.sghs.org/

Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 AM

Thank you so much for your suggestions and info. I appreciate it

Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 AM

1,497 posts, read 981,685 times
Savannah is a medium sized city.. so I would not call it a congested nightmare. The metro area is around 500,000.. more depending if you include nearby Hilton Head and Beaufort.
Now the Historic District of Savannah does get a lot of tourists but you could easily find an area to avoid that. Wilmington Island and Whitemarsh Island areas are nice. It is a very lovely city with great restaurants and many things to do. Easy access to I95 so you can drive down to Florida or up to the Northeast. Also nice beaches nearby. You could also check out the Brunswick area which is about an hour south of Savannah... it's smaller but still has a lot to offer.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Savannah is a medium sized city.. so I would not call it a congested nightmare. The metro area is around 500,000.. more depending if you include nearby Hilton Head and Beaufort.
Now the Historic District of Savannah does get a lot of tourists but you could easily find an area to avoid that. Wilmington Island and Whitemarsh Island areas are nice. It is a very lovely city with great restaurants and many things to do. Easy access to I95 so you can drive down to Florida or up to the Northeast. Also nice beaches nearby. You could also check out the Brunswick area which is about an hour south of Savannah... it's smaller but still has a lot to offer.
Thank you for the info. I'll look into it

Old 07-29-2017, 06:25 AM

597 posts, read 1,032,195 times
Look into Sarasota Florida. They keep expanding the hospital and there are no signs of slowing down. It checks off all the boxes for what you mentioned as your criteria. While looking into that also take a minute to google "Lakewood Ranch" which is technically in Bradenton.....It is about 30 min drive (with no traffic) from Sarasota and it is a great (safe) place to raise a family. You could buy a condo there for 150K or buy a 15 Million dollar home...Also, there is a hospital right in the town as well and that too is expanding. Lakewood Ranch is a place where people still wave, you can take a walk at night and the schools are safe. It's about 35 min to the beach. Also, we pay no state or local taxes. Here is a link to the Sarasota Hospital: http://www.smh.com/ and here is a link to the Lakewood Ranch Medical Center :https://www.lakewoodranchmedicalcenter.com/. Hope this helps. You can PM me if you have any questions about the area.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,397,059 times
So not an option for the OP, judging from his experience and stated needs. How on earth do some people find their way into these threads?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Look into Sarasota Florida. They keep expanding the hospital and there are no signs of slowing down. It checks off all the boxes for what you mentioned as your criteria. While looking into that also take a minute to google "Lakewood Ranch" which is technically in Bradenton.....It is about 30 min drive (with no traffic) from Sarasota and it is a great (safe) place to raise a family. You could buy a condo there for 150K or buy a 15 Million dollar home...Also, there is a hospital right in the town as well and that too is expanding. Lakewood Ranch is a place where people still wave, you can take a walk at night and the schools are safe. It's about 35 min to the beach. Also, we pay no state or local taxes. Here is a link to the Sarasota Hospital: Sarasota Memorial Health Care System - Sarasota, Florida Hospital and here is a link to the Lakewood Ranch Medical Center :https://www.lakewoodranchmedicalcenter.com/. Hope this helps. You can PM me if you have any questions about the area.
Thank you very much for the info, I'll look into it

Old 07-30-2017, 07:19 PM

597 posts, read 1,032,195 times
Default PM troubles???

I can't open my PM for some reason I will try to figure it out but in the meantime, I don't have any contacts but I would contact both places for sure. They are always hiring and with their expansions, they will always need physicians. Plus, Sarasota is opening satellite clinics everywhere to expand their community care. The Lakewood Ranch Medical Center really nice. I can't stress how nice the area is there is no "bad area" of Lakewood Ranch. So no matter where you moved to in the area, it would be clean, safe, diverse, planned community, family orientated area. Google "Lakewood Ranch Lake Club" and check out the homes.....Those homes are maybe 5-10 min. to the LWR Medical Center. But there are also 150K condos 5 min. from the medical center as well. Here is the local shopping link:https://www.lakewoodranch.com/town-centers/main-street/ Here is the mall : Mall at UTC

I would be shocked if you couldn't get a job at either this medical center or Sarasota. There is a shortage of Dr's in the area. We used to know a ER MD and he moved to Costa Rica but he and his wife both worked there and they were always getting OT because of all of the shortages.

There is also a shortage of Doctors in Naples, Florida but if you are young and planning on having a family, LWR is soooooo much better. PLUS.....if you live in LWR, Tampa General is about a 45 Min. drive as well as there is another hospital "Blake Medical Center" in Bradenton:Home | Blake Medical Center | Bradenton, FL. There is also a hospital called " Doctor's Hospital. It is in Sarasota. I don't know anything about other than it is owned and operated by Drs. There are others so it is a good area if you are looking to move and secure a job.

If you are a golfer, you will be in Heaven...there are several courses but here is one of them:Welcome to Lakewood Ranch Golf & Country Club - Lakewood Ranch Golf and Country Club . If you play polo: Sarasota Polo Club, Soccer? Check! Home - Premier Sports Campus Arts? Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall: Sarasota, Florida Also, there is a great place called " St Armands Circle.....It was built by John Ringling. It is a wonderful area, close to the beach that has El Fresco dining at some of the best restaurants, eclectic shops, pubs,etc. It's the "Rodeo Drive" of the area .https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/art...armands-circle ......Obviously, I could go on and on but I will spare you! LOL

I will work on getting this PM issue solved. I click on it and nothing happens. It won't even open and I am not really tech challenged.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
I can't open my PM for some reason I will try to figure it out but in the meantime, I don't have any contacts but I would contact both places for sure. They are always hiring and with their expansions, they will always need physicians. Plus, Sarasota is opening satellite clinics everywhere to expand their community care. The Lakewood Ranch Medical Center really nice. I can't stress how nice the area is there is no "bad area" of Lakewood Ranch. So no matter where you moved to in the area, it would be clean, safe, diverse, planned community, family orientated area. Google "Lakewood Ranch Lake Club" and check out the homes.....Those homes are maybe 5-10 min. to the LWR Medical Center. But there are also 150K condos 5 min. from the medical center as well. Here is the local shopping link:https://www.lakewoodranch.com/town-centers/main-street/ Here is the mall : Mall at UTC

I would be shocked if you couldn't get a job at either this medical center or Sarasota. There is a shortage of Dr's in the area. We used to know a ER MD and he moved to Costa Rica but he and his wife both worked there and they were always getting OT because of all of the shortages.

There is also a shortage of Doctors in Naples, Florida but if you are young and planning on having a family, LWR is soooooo much better. PLUS.....if you live in LWR, Tampa General is about a 45 Min. drive as well as there is another hospital "Blake Medical Center" in Bradenton:Home | Blake Medical Center | Bradenton, FL. There is also a hospital called " Doctor's Hospital. It is in Sarasota. I don't know anything about other than it is owned and operated by Drs. There are others so it is a good area if you are looking to move and secure a job.

If you are a golfer, you will be in Heaven...there are several courses but here is one of them:Welcome to Lakewood Ranch Golf & Country Club - Lakewood Ranch Golf and Country Club . If you play polo: Sarasota Polo Club, Soccer? Check! Home - Premier Sports Campus Arts? Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall: Sarasota, Florida Also, there is a great place called " St Armands Circle.....It was built by John Ringling. It is a wonderful area, close to the beach that has El Fresco dining at some of the best restaurants, eclectic shops, pubs,etc. It's the "Rodeo Drive" of the area .https://www.sarasotamagazine.com/art...armands-circle ......Obviously, I could go on and on but I will spare you! LOL

I will work on getting this PM issue solved. I click on it and nothing happens. It won't even open and I am not really tech challenged.
Strange regarding the PM issues, however you answered my question in this post. In my PM to you I had asked if you had any connections/contacts with either hospital. Anyway, I shall try to contact them directly and see what the employment situation is. You are correct, the area really does look nice from what I have seen on the internet. I'm definitely interested. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or