U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,373 times

Advertisements

I am interested in buying a home in Marietta, Georgia. I live in Miami Fla. and I retire in 3-4 years. I am still young (41) and I do anticipate on working again with the Government (doing anything stressfree). But I am currently making sure that my credit score is sufficient so that I will not get a high interest rate. I ready one of the viewers comment that you can get a home loan very easy. How true is that...Cause I will come now and lok for a home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 08:24 AM

612 posts, read 2,582,338 times
I was the one that posted how easily we got a home loan here. I believe my husband's credit score was in the 690-710 range and we got a $300,000 loan with only about $2000 out of pocket. We closed on the house 13 days after we signed the contract. To compare---my house I'm selling in Tampa is now in it's 8th week trying to close.....

Old 12-16-2006, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
I have family members in lawrenceville and lithonia and would like to relocate to either place, but want to work in atlanta, I don't drive and want to know if there is a railroad system that would take me from either place into atlanta. I would also like to know which neighborhoods are good/schools/daycare, malls, medical centers etc in both places. I plan on coming to visit/check out these places 3rd week of Jan 07. I would appreciate any/all help given.

Thanks, deml

Old 12-16-2006, 09:07 PM

233 posts, read 843,035 times
Default Here's a link

Quote:
Originally Posted by deml View Post
I have family members in lawrenceville and lithonia and would like to relocate to either place, but want to work in atlanta, I don't drive and want to know if there is a railroad system that would take me from either place into atlanta. I would also like to know which neighborhoods are good/schools/daycare, malls, medical centers etc in both places. I plan on coming to visit/check out these places 3rd week of Jan 07. I would appreciate any/all help given.

Thanks, deml
http://www.itsmarta.com/

Try the above link for information on Atlanta trasnsportation system.

No train in Lithonia, but there is a bus line.

I do not recall a train station in Lawrenceville.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:56 AM
tjk

3 posts, read 16,494 times
I have a court date of Dec 19th ..looks like we will be homeless this Christmas..our mortgage company(Greentree) is considered a predatory lender.
We got behind on our payments and it has been such a struggle since..when we would get the mtge payments caught up..everything else was so far behind that while catching that up..we got behind on our mtge again..but greentree's collections dept have been so rude to us..I can remember them laughing and telling us to get some boxes and a u haul that we just gave up.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:09 PM

64 posts, read 158,935 times
The foreclosure rate is high because people buy more house than they can afford which leads to the inability to save money. Just having enough money to close is not enough. You should have that, and at least 6-12 months of living expenses saved. If you don't have it, then wait, home ownership isn't going anywhere. I purchased my first home 3 years ago. I was prequalified for a loan of up to 200,00, however at the time I was a full time graduate student and my income was only 35,000 a year. I ended up buying a 3/2 house that cost 106,000 with a payment of 700.00 a month. It wasn't my dream house but based on my situation it was the best house for me. Now, I have finished school, my new job pays nearly twice as much, and in one more year I am going to buy the house that I wanted three years ago. I could buy that house now, but I'd rather save at least 12 months of what my new mortgage will be. Some people lose their homes because of illnesses, layoffs, and bad divorces. But most people lose there homes by being naive, undisciplined, and by living for everyone else rather than for self.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:24 PM

233 posts, read 843,035 times
Thumbs up Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
The foreclosure rate is high because people buy more house than they can afford which leads to the inability to save money. Just having enough money to close is not enough. You should have that, and at least 6-12 months of living expenses saved. If you don't have it, then wait, home ownership isn't going anywhere. I purchased my first home 3 years ago. I was prequalified for a loan of up to 200,00, however at the time I was a full time graduate student and my income was only 35,000 a year. I ended up buying a 3/2 house that cost 106,000 with a payment of 700.00 a month. It wasn't my dream house but based on my situation it was the best house for me. Now, I have finished school, my new job pays nearly twice as much, and in one more year I am going to buy the house that I wanted three years ago. I could buy that house now, but I'd rather save at least 12 months of what my new mortgage will be. Some people lose their homes because of illnesses, layoffs, and bad divorces. But most people lose there homes by being naive, undisciplined, and by living for everyone else rather than for self.
You make a very good point, and I am glad to see that you were able to pace yourself before buying a house for $200k on a $35k salary.

I think what people feel to realize is that if you and a coworker are making $50k, but you have children, a car note, student loans, credit card debt, and/or other obligations, then you will not be able to afford the same amount of house as your coworker without these obligations.

You cannot compare yourself to others, and you do have to plan on getting sick or becoming disabled regardless of your health situation today.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:20 PM

165 posts, read 611,933 times
Wink simple lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb2tellthetruth View Post
I have lived in my home for 19 years. I purchased the home that was within my income, (not overtime). I cooked most of our meals. We went to the matinee movies. I spent my funds on necessary items (you know like lights,
gas, water, food). You can try this, it worked for me!
My life hasn't been exactly like yours, but close. I do not need fancy or luxury, just comfortable and cute....and cute doesn't have to be expensive. It worked for me, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or