Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite 3rd Tier city
Warner Robins 4 13.79%
Valdosta 3 10.34%
Rome 6 20.69%
Dalton 1 3.45%
Gainesville 3 10.34%
Albany 7 24.14%
La Grange 1 3.45%
Other 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,613,855 times

Advertisements

We often overlook the 3rd tier cities in the state. Which city is your favorite in the state based on the following?

People friendliness:
Growth:
Economy:
Scenery:
Crime:
Food:
Cleanliness:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 08:01 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Speaking of overlooking third-tier cities, where is Brunswick? Solid economy, beautiful scenery, beautiful late 19th/early 20th century neighborhoods, great seafood. The downtown area is in major turnaround mode.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Speaking of overlooking third-tier cities, where is Brunswick? Solid economy, beautiful scenery, beautiful late 19th/early 20th century neighborhoods, great seafood. The downtown area is in major turnaround mode.
I guess I will place it in others although it probably should have had it's on poll option.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM

I chose Rome. It's a very historic and beautiful city.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Lagrange. The city is in boom mode right now economically.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I chose Rome. It's a very historic and beautiful city.
That's the one I chose as well, although I'm really only familiar with it and Gainesville of the the cities listed.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's the one I chose as well, although I'm really only familiar with it and Gainesville of the the cities listed.
Gainesville is nice although I had second thoughts about listing it because I feel that it may become apart of Atlanta MSA's in 2020.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:13 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,159,185 times
Not my favorite but, Albany has an advantage over the other 3rd tier cities in the state.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:40 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Not my favorite but, Albany has an advantage over the other 3rd tier cities in the state.
That is a very interesting take on Albany.

Please elaborate on why Albany has an advantage over the other third-tier Georgia cities in the state from your vantage point.

From my vantage point, it would appear that third-tier Georgia cities like Brunswick and Gainesville would appear to have some of the greatest advantages over other third-tier cities in the state.

Brunswick (like LovinDecatur alluded to) would appear to have one of the greatest advantages over the other third-tier Georgia cities because of its Atlantic Coast seaport and because of its coastal-based tourism industry.

Gainesville would appear to have one of the greatest advantages over the other third-tier Georgia cities because of its status as the industrial capital of Northeast Georgia, its status as a gateway from metro Atlanta to the Northeast Georgia mountains region and its status as a city that seems to punch well above its weight in both Georgia and Southeastern U.S. politics.

Quote:
Gainesville is nice although I had second thoughts about listing it because I feel that it may become apart of Atlanta MSA's in 2020.
Even though there appears to be a strong chance that the city will be added to the Atlanta MSA in 2020, Gainesville is an excellent choice as an entry on this list just simply because of the power that the city possesses in Georgia and Southeastern U.S. industrial and political circles.

Gainesville is an especially important city right now in both Georgia and Southeastern U.S. political circles because both Georgia's sitting governor (Nathan Deal) and sitting Lt. governor (Casey Cagle) claim the Gainesville area as their home base.

Even though there is a very strong chance that Gainesville and Hall County will be added to the Atlanta MSA in the not-too-distant future, Gainesville owes much of its success to being so close to (only about 50 miles away or so from) Atlanta. Gainesville is literally on the shores of Atlanta's primary water source in Lake Lanier.

Without its close distance to Atlanta and without its very advantageous location on the shores of Atlanta's primary water source in Lake Lanier, one possibly could make the argument that Gainesville likely would not have enjoyed the immense economic and political success that it has enjoyed during a period that has almost completely coincided with Atlanta's rise from a provincial mid-sized Southeastern city to a cosmopolitan large major metro of international influence.

There likely may not be a third-tier Georgia city outside of the Atlanta MSA that has benefitted as much from its relationship with Atlanta as Gainesville has with its close, symbiotic relationship with Atlanta.

Even though the area has experienced some significant challenges over the past decade in regards to the massive economic downturn of the late 2000's and early 2010's, Dalton and its famous carpet industry likely may be in a close second in terms of how much the area has benefitted from its relatively close proximity as a third-tier Georgia city.

Both Gainesville's famous poultry industry and Dalton's famous carpet industry have enjoyed much benefit from their relatively close proximities to a booming metropolis in Atlanta.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:29 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Even if that were to happen, I think it's still far enough removed from Atlanta to still be considered a third-tier city. It's not going to be a Decatur or Marietta anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia