Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 02:18 PM

21 posts, read 67,669 times

Advertisements

I Currently Own A House In Fl That We Are Considering Putting Up For Sale. We Want To Move To Ga And Own Some Property In Rabun County. We Would Have To Start Our Own Business And Want Some Info As To The Best Area Of Ga To Relocate Any Input On Rabun Vs Greene/morgan Co Areas Would Be A Great Help. Local Economy That Type Of Thing? Specialty Contractor In Fl But Tired Of The Rat Race And Want A Better Quality Of Life That We See In Ga. Have Visited Numerous Times Just Can't Seem To Make Up Our Minds Where Is The Best Move. Any Help Please!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 06:28 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,157 times
I'm not that familiar with Greene County, but know a little about Rabun. It is, for the most part, absolutely beautiful with everything you would want and expect in small town living. The real estate market there is strong, yet very expensive. There are lots of Metro Atlantans buying vacation homes. It is very common to see prices soaring above 1 million. Now, I say that, with the same frame of mind that when I was looking, I was looking for vacation homes. After seeing prices, quickly ruled it out. I think it is okay, though for a typical family home. You will find a good amount of traffic for an area that size, just due to the fact that so many people use that area as a route into TN, and NC instead of taking interstates. In Rabun County, you are between 2 and 3 hours from Atlanta, Asheville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. If you are in the building contracting business, you should do fine. If so, I would suggest hooking up with as many vacation home developers as possible. That entire region (NC, TN, N. Ga mountains) could provide a decent opportunity for such work. Basically, it is the type of place that I sort of just take a deep breath and dream as I pass by coming from Atlanta. So hectic here, and so quiet there.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:01 AM

Default thanks for info

Thank you for your help we have property in Clayton and we're still not sure it can support the kind of business we want to open. We cannot do the type of contracting we do in Fl in Rabun but could in Greene. If we choose Clayton we'd have to start a whole new occupation kind of scary at our age. Mind if I ask where you chose for a vacation home? Please if anyone has any info on Greene or Morgan county rate of growth I would appreciate it.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,157 times
Hi, I didn't buy a vacation home there at all. I found the prices to be out of my league. If I had 500k - 1 mill to put down on a vacation house, I'd look at most anywhere in Rabun County. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Morgan or Greene County. I do know that Morgan is growing at a healthy rate, again because of second homes or retirees wanting to be within a decent drive of Atlanta. IT's definitely not an option to commute, but on weekends you could do it in maybe 2 hours. Unfortunately, I don't know where to tell you to look at rate of growth, other than seeing what city-data has to offer. You could also look at wikipedia for a little information.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 PM

Default thanks

Thanks again for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: