U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 11:55 AM

20 posts, read 70,451 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from Connecticut to the southeast.Have been looking at Northeast Florida but would consider a nice area in southeast Georgia. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 06:58 PM

233 posts, read 1,150,313 times
Chatham county is a pretty nice area. If you have kids you might want to consider effingham county because the schools are better. We live in Pooler, Ga. It's a growing place that is about 35 minutes from Savannah, 20 minutes to S.C., and about an hour to hour 1/2 away from beaches in both S.C. and GA.

Old 12-10-2006, 08:01 AM

10,148 posts, read 20,807,962 times
It really depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. The areas in Chatham county outside Savannah are bedroom communities that were built up around existing towns. Unless you live in the center of say, Pooler, which was a tiny place once upon a time, you will be living in a new cookie cutter subdivision, exactly like what you will find anywhere in the US. And that's fine for some folks... that's why they exist.

Now if you have lots of money, consider St. Simons Island, Skidaway Island or even Hilton Head, which are all full of northerners who have cashed in and moved south. If you're into real culture, try the older neighborhoods in Savannah, Brunswick, St. Marys, or some of the smaller (and more provincial towns) inland. Try reading the local paper online for Jax and Sav'h to get a feel for the place, or better yet, spend a week down here and talk to people who have been here for awhile.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:25 PM

64 posts, read 677,277 times
Very well put ellie. I just came thru southeast ga(today)and can confirm what u said is true. Savannah and St Marys are beautiful. I spent the night at my moms in Brunswick and she said that "this is where i am till the end". Southeast Ga is great place to rear a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or