Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 07:39 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I can Agree with some of this as well, but also Agree to disagree, because I can't say Dallas or Nashville embraces all things rural/country as well, but they do market the parts they decide to play on very well and it's embrace by may races not to mention Urban City Flavor all mixed right in, giving it a much more diverse feeling.. Atlanta being as progressive as it has been after Civil war still had and has had far more than it's share of racism just like many southern cities, so its not exempt because it builds an office tower but I under stand your points... Metro Atlanta does have the issue though of being in Georgia and no matter how you look at it, it's still in the heart of Dixie South and has to deal with those Red state politics/laws big time, it's just a fact of matter. The city limits of Atlanta is only so big and even the mayor of Atlanta only has so much say so...To be fair Dallas and Nashville has some of this to deal with as well even though these cities are pretty liberal but states are pretty conservative as well..
I didn't mean to imply that Dallas and Nashville literally embrace all of the rural elements of their states, but the elements they do embrace serve significant economic purposes as well. I also didn't mean to imply that Atlanta didn't have any racial issues historically, but because it wasn't built on the plantation economy, it had no issue embracing a progressive economic agenda centered more on industry and commerce after the Civil War. The city also realized that major, blatant displays of racism were essentially bad for business which is why it projected a more tolerant image during the Civil Rights Movement. As the saying goes, "the business of Atlanta is business." That has been part of the city's DNA from the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I never said nothing was happening outside of Atlanta. And I know about Savannah and tourism, but my point is, is Georgia coast growing the rate of SC? no. But my point is more should be done.
Some would argue that they would hate to see Georgia's coast become overdeveloped like Florida's or, to a lesser extent, SC's.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Some would argue that they would hate to see Georgia's coast become overdeveloped like Florida's or, to a lesser extent, SC's.
Again it's all opinion and that's why there's a such there as smart growth they don't have to sprawl every where destroy nature, but what I'm talking about is growth in Georgia second tier or even 3rd tier cities

Savannah
Augusta
Macons
Columbus
Athens

but also Gainesville, brunswick, Rome, Dalton and etc.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Texas is not the only Gulf state, not the only state known for BBQ, Not the only state in the plains, Cowboy history and etc. but that combination is unique to Texas

Georgia is not the only colonial state, not the only Appalachian state, not the only Deep South state, not only state with an other industrial cities, but you know what.... that combination is unique to Georgia.
Ummm...actually it's not but okay. Even so, we're still talking about characteristics that, for Georgia, are more common across the board compared to Texas. If Georgia were just as unique as Texas, which is what you seem to be arguing, then it would have as much state pride--but it doesn't. And you can't attribute that to the presence of transplants in Atlanta when Texas has many more transplants scattered throughout the state.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:58 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Uh ... the Georgia Department of Industry and Trade spends MILLIONS each year promoting tourism in every region of the state — including the 2nd-tier cities and even rural areas. The mountains and coast are MAJOR tourist destinations already and draw MILLIONS of visitors annually. Savannah consistently ranks among the Top 5 or 10 best cities to visit in the United States, and even the world.

Maybe you should “Explore Georgia?”

Official Georgia Tourism & Travel Website | Explore Georgia.org
Oh, my gosh! There is so much to see and do in this state. Everything from a hike along the Appalachian Trail through our beautiful mountains, to lazy days along the coast, a canoe ride through the Okeefenokee Swamp, a ride through the beautiful farm land of south west Georgia, a visit to Plains, a tour of Andersonville and its prison, a day at Westville and the Little Grand Canyon, a rafting experience along the Hooch in Columbus, a long weekend in Savannah, a long weekend in beautiful Callaway Gardens, a romantic night with your significant other at the Ritz Carlton Lake Oconee, a stay at Chateau Elan, a weekend in Dahlonega... I could go and on.

Georgia offers something for everyone. It is a fabulous state - just like so very many others.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Ummm...actually it's not but okay. Even so, we're still talking about characteristics that, for Georgia, are more common across the board compared to Texas. If Georgia were just as unique as Texas, which is what you seem to be arguing, then it would have as much state pride--but it doesn't. And you can't attribute that to the presence of transplants in Atlanta when Texas has many more transplants scattered throughout the state.
That called circular argument. If I'm saying uniqueness has nothing to do with the pride in Texas because a lot of what yall identify as stereotypical Texas can be contribute it's neighbors, You can't argue back people have more pride in Texas because it's unique, because it's unique they have pride.

Again Texas has as much in common with it's neighboring states as Georgia does with it's,

Texas seem so different compare to Georgia because Texas is not next To Georgia.

Texas has much in common with With Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New mexico as Georgia does with Florida, South Carolina, Alabama and Tenseness.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...th_Central.PNG

Again the history of Cowsboys, is not just a Texas things.

https://cdn.thinglink.me/api/image/7.../320/scaledown
Oklahoma state... mascot the Cowboys....

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l_Pete.svg.png

You brought up the Alamo

The Alamo is a Spanish mission they all over the Southwest and Florida,.... San Miguel mission in Santa Fe

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/1e/37/65/1...anta-fe-nm.jpg

The history Southern Appalachian/Georgia Gold Rush, and Atlantic Colonial history is just as exotic to Texas as the Cowboys and the Gulf history is Georgia. Because Georgia and Texas are at opposite ends of the South.

https://travel.usnews.com/static-tra..._cityscape.jpg

http://raregoldnuggets.com/wp-conten...-Gold-Mine.jpg

http://media.al.com/living-times/pho...3938-large.jpg

Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
That called circular argument. If I'm saying uniqueness has nothing to do with the pride in Texas because a lot of what yall identify as stereotypical Texas can be contribute it's neighbors, You can't argue back people have more pride in Texas because it's unique, because it's unique they have pride.
Huh? Texas shares some characteristics with its neighbors but they all legitimately share those characteristics; Texas didn't get them from its neighbors. And as you yourself said, it's the combination of characteristics that make Texas unique and the one that Texans love to bring up first and foremost is the fact they were an independent republic. That one factor is pretty unique to them alone.

And for the umpteenth time, no one has explained what this has to do with the topic at hand whatsoever. The whole political divide thing has little to nothing to do with uniqueness; it's because Texas has multiple big cities whereas Georgia only has one. Texas is just so off-topic here and I wish we could be done with it. Texas politics is not Georgia politics so let's try and get back on track.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:45 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
My wife is from Texas and it is a wonderful state. Just like Georgia.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Huh? Texas shares some characteristics with its neighbors but they all legitimately share those characteristics; Texas didn't get them from its neighbors. And as you yourself said, it's the combination of characteristics that make Texas unique and the one that Texans love to bring up first and foremost is the fact they were an independent republic. That one factor is pretty unique to them alone.
Again I grew up and back forth between Texas and Georgia. I consider myself a Texan and Georgian.

I did not say Texas get from it's neighbors I said share it's characteristic from with neighborhood the exact same thing with Georgia.

Your Argument was "But that's not specific to Georgia; that same image applies to most other Southern states. That's the difference."............ So I responded to you... basically But that's not specific to Texas; that same image applies to most other South Central,lower plains states........... Their is no difference

First off the Texas republic was not just the current state of Texas, So Irony parts of OK, NM, Kansas, Colorado, and even a small part of Wyoming was of this Republic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...abeled.svg.png

The Texas Republic was about 1/3 the land of 13 colonies size and ended up becoming multiple states one way over another. Just as the colonies.

Texas fought again Mexico and there battles in Texas, but Georgia fought against the British and there battles in Georgia.

http://www.socialstudiesforkids.com/graphics/13map.gif

Quote:
And for the umpteenth time, no one has explained what this has to do with the topic at hand whatsoever. The whole political divide thing has little to nothing to do with uniqueness; it's because Texas has multiple big cities whereas Georgia only has one. Texas is just so off-topic here and I wish we could be done with it. Texas politics is not Georgia politics so let's try and get back on track.
You kinda straw man the argument

You and Saintmarks were taking about state pride, you brought up uniqueness and said it's reason Texas has more. And that's what I'm responding to, but what made me jump in after said Texas was unique than the bold about Georgia

Quote:
Quote:
The "starkness" I was referring to was of a political nature. We both agree that it's much starker in Georgia and it's for the reasons I gave earlier, or rather *the* reason.

And yes, that romantic spin makes all the difference. I mean what type of sexy get-up is associated with raising chickens???
So..... Texas has uniqueness to you but Georgia is imagery is raising chickens? Really? that belittling Georgia

If the rest Georgia feels like all Atlantans just think of them as "raising chickens" but other states are unique, no wonder there Urban rural tension in Georgia.

Quote:
Remember I'm consider my self both a Texan and Georgian

My point isn't just about Texas, but Georgia compare to lot of others state, Louisiana, Cali, Florida, New Jersey, Ohio, NC, TN, Virginia and etc there is lack state pride compare to others. The notion that there are two Georgia and etc.

---------

Everything you just said about exist in multiple states every state share things with the next. What makes states unique is the combination that make them, And every state has a unique combination.

Texas is not the only Gulf state, not the only state known for BBQ, Not the only state in the plains, Cowboy history and etc. but that combination is unique to Texas

Georgia is not the only colonial state, not the only Appalachian state, not the only Deep South state, not only state with an other industrial cities, but you know what.... that combination is unique to Georgia.

How I think this relate to politics. I while strongly disagree with any notion that Atlanta takes from other Georgia cities, I do think there an over shadow by Atlanta and that rest of state receives less attentions nationally than secondary cities and rural areas and surrounding states......

As I mention Georgia cost should be competing against South Carolina cost. North Georgia mountains, Should be competing against West NC, and West TN. SC cost is growing faster than GA cost. Secondary cities in NC are growing faster than GA Secondary cities. Why doesn't Athens have a interstate, why isn't there one connecting Augusta to Columbus. There does need to be more attention to promoted to the rest of the state and that would improve the relationship with Atlanta and rest of the state, and that would politically benefit Atlanta in the long run.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:12 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,680 times
These sure are a lot of words and pictures that have absolutely nothing to do with anything, y'all should try to steer this conversation back on topic or just leave it behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia