Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:53 PM

298 posts, read 303,463 times

Advertisements

Hi
Just wondering if any residents in Blairsville GA have any problems with the smells from the poultry farms? We are considering a move and want to find out where the poultry farms are located and to see if they present a problem to homeowners in the vicinity. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,680 times
There really aren't that many around the city, unless the house you're considering is right next to an active one it's not an issue at all.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:08 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Be forewarned, if you are moving into an area zoned agricultural, just because there aren't any livestock operations near you does't mean they can not build one next door.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Be forewarned, if you are moving into an area zoned agricultural, just because there aren't any livestock operations near you does't mean they can not build one next door.
You are absolutely right. I never thought about the zoning part. I am so glad I asked on this forum. I really appreciate all the advise

Old 02-01-2018, 09:43 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
You are absolutely right. I never thought about the zoning part. I am so glad I asked on this forum. I really appreciate all the advise
Yes, please don't become the woman that moved into our area. Moved in and three days later she was calling animal control because the neighbors across the road had a few (less than 20) chickens they let free roam. Yes, they did occasionally cross the road (and no, I don't know why ), but this woman went nuts. Three days into their move they started what can only be described as four years of hell with this woman complaining about everything. Thankfully, they've moved on but country life just wasn't for her. I understand your concerns about chicken farm smell having grown up next to a hog farm in the midwest, but as long as you know that living rural isn't like living in a manicured HOA like subdivision you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 PM

I would actually like a few chickens but I just don't want to live next door to a commercial chicken house where they have hundreds of thousands of chickens. We lived down wind of one in a previous home and the smell was to die for-and not in a good way. And it was terrible flies in the summertime. But don't get me wrong I love a few backyard chickens. We don't live in an HOA and actually I am a really nice person

Old 02-03-2018, 01:10 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
We don't live in an HOA and actually I am a really nice person
LOL.... I hope so if you just bought the house 2 doors down yesterday. LOLOL. Yep... new neighbors down the road in a few months again....

Old 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
I would actually like a few chickens but I just don't want to live next door to a commercial chicken house where they have hundreds of thousands of chickens. We lived down wind of one in a previous home and the smell was to die for-and not in a good way. And it was terrible flies in the summertime. But don't get me wrong I love a few backyard chickens. We don't live in an HOA and actually I am a really nice person
Yard chickens are nice, but if you have a rooster, it can get very noisy. I had a few for about 8 years and one good thing they did was, they got rid of my Japanese Beetle problem. Ultimately the owls got them.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:36 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Quote:
Hi
Just wondering if any residents in Blairsville GA have any problems with the smells from the poultry farms? We are considering a move and want to find out where the poultry farms are located and to see if they present a problem to homeowners in the vicinity. Any help is appreciated.
Not so much around Blairsville. More of them south of there - Dahlonega (hatchery), Cleveland, Murrayville (slaughterhouse). If you have an address, you can use G earth to view the entire area. Don't depend on a realtor to tell you these things. The smell will take your breath away. It's worse when they spread the guano on the fields after each 16 wk session.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yes, please don't become the woman that moved into our area. Moved in and three days later she was calling animal control because the neighbors across the road had a few (less than 20) chickens they let free roam.
I feel your pain. We had similar situation out near Cleveland five years ago. We have fifty acres of ancestral land. We pasture raise turkeys and ducks. A "new" neighbor from Kali decided they didn't want to see our poultry on our acreage and called animal control. They came out and explained to them to call if they were sitting in their yard, otherwise not to bother calling again. All our birds are wing clipped so they can't fly as far as the fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia