Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

I am for this. It obviously isn't a perfect or final solution, but it's a step in the right direction. Just like drinking and driving, we need to change the culture about cell phone use and driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 01:09 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am for this. It obviously isn't a perfect or final solution, but it's a step in the right direction. Just like drinking and driving, we need to change the culture about cell phone use and driving.
The only way to really make a change, right here.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:11 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This new law will have 0 effect on distracted driving, just another tool for cops to pull over and harass minorities.

But anyway, as for the topic...it might not have huge effect, but then, how much murder is prevented simply because it's illegal? How much do speeding laws actually stop speeding? How much do drunk driving laws actually stop drunk driving? But, would you be willing to remove any of those laws?

Laws don't necessarily exist to specifically stop someone from doing something, but to give an avenue for consequence. If texting or talking on the phone is not illegal, then there is nothing anyone can do to make someone stop doing it.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:34 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Georgia Governor Nathan Deal signed House Bill 673 into Georgia state law at Georgia Southern University on Wednesday while flanked by the family members of five Georgia Southern University nursing students who were killed when a truck driven by a guy who was texting while driving hit their vehicle from behind along with multiple other vehicles while they were stopped in traffic in a deadly multi-vehicle pile-up on Interstate 16 in South Georgia back in April 2015.

House Bill 673 bans the use of all mobile devices without a hands-free apparatus while driving.

Under the new law, it will be illegal for a motorist to hold a phone or other electronic device while they are driving. Texting, reading or writing emails and watching or making videos are all banned activities.

Motorists will be allowed to talk on the phone, but they’ll have to use a hands-free method to do so. They can also use GPS navigation, voice to text technology or touch their phone to end a call or to dial a phone number.

A motorist can listen to music stored on their cell phone or electronic device, but they would be barred from using online radio programs such as Spotify or Pandora in their vehicle.

Motorists who violate the law will be fined $50 for the first conviction and receive one point on their license. On the second conviction, the fine increases to $100 and two points on the license. After that, a conviction carries a $150 fine and three points on a license.

The five women who were tragically killed when their stopped vehicle was hit from behind by a texting truck driver were all from metro Atlanta.

House Bill 673 was introduced in the Georgia House of Representatives by state Representative John Carson of Marietta, and was carried through the Georgia Senate by state Senator P.K. Martin of Lawrenceville.

"Gov. Nathan Deal signs distracted driving bill into law" (Gwinnett Daily Post)
Gov. Nathan Deal signs distracted driving bill into law | State News | gwinnettdailypost.com
Good!

Old 05-03-2018, 03:06 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
This would be useful, if we had unmarked cars in our state. Since it is against the law, I don't see any change in the future unless they do stings like Marietta has done with construction workers etc....

Old 05-03-2018, 03:21 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
It's definitely a step in the right direction--if it's enforced and if people take it seriously.

We have a distracted driving law here in PA and it's been on the books now for a few years.

Unfortunately, not everyone follows it based on what I've seen.

One of my friends at my prior job was hit head on at a narrow bridge by a woman who was texting on her cell phone. She was out of work for 6 months and still has physical limitations from that accident. The other woman died in the accident; it is sad because she was only 23.

I've seen people reading books while driving, texting away on phones, putting pants on/changing shirts, facing the back seat trying to control unruly kids/pets, etc. I admit that I do rarely eat while driving and drink (water) while driving so not saying I'm perfect but it is insane what you see people doing behind the wheel ::

Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
This would be useful, if we had unmarked cars in our state. Since it is against the law, I don't see any change in the future unless they do stings like Marietta has done with construction workers etc....
You know, for the longest time I appreciated laws like you mention, and the 10mph grace period built in to speed limits outside of cities (might be making that up, but I think it's a thing).

But that's when I lived in a rural area. Now that I live in the city, I realize that these lax laws are to everyone's determent. Enforcement needs to change in the metro. Rural areas can deal with some lax laws, when so many people are around, the dynamic should change.

People suck so bad at driving, it doesn't have to be this way.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:01 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I recommended this a long time ago in a previous post regarding the Georgia "slowpoke" bill. Until they can get a few unmarked cars to travel the interstate and hold these people accountable, not much will change. It has become very very frustrating driving 285 and the car in front of you is moving at a slower pace and is also distracted on the phone. Something needs to be done.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
With the recent cases of women being pulled over and attacked, I doubt the law will change anytime soon.

Police have enough methods to hide their cars and be semi unmarked but due to the construction of the interstate highways, we will never have typical traffic enforcement.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Um, what if Pandora is literally built into your car's stereo? It is for both of my cars. I don't have to bluetooth to my phone to use it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia