Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I agree. It appears that a light turnout would favor Kemp, and if Cagle's moderate based is energized enough to try and thwart a Kemp win, I don't sense it.
While Mr. Kemp mortifies me, I believe Ms. Adams stands a better chance if Mr. Kemp is the Republican nominee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 09:11 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
While Mr. Kemp mortifies me, I believe Ms. Adams stands a better chance if Mr. Kemp is the Republican nominee.
Absolutely, which is why I'd like to see a Kemp win in July.
What Abrams needs is some business endorsements; that's who she needs to court right now. And frankly, I think she needs to play down her populist economic message for now as well.

"We must build a Georgia where no one has to work more than one full-time job to make ends meet. A fair economy means investing in diverse businesses, fighting for equality in the workplace, lifting families out of poverty, and ensuring access to affordable healthcare. Fairness is the backbone of an economy that eliminates poverty and fosters prosperity for every family."

https://staceyabrams.com/vision/economy/

While I don't necessarily disagree with it, I fear that some business leaders may interpret this as an invitation to unionization, increased regulation and a rebuke of the state's "right to work" policies. She'll need them in her camp come November.

Good luck, Stacey!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:52 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times
Quote:
But it's a risky game. If Kemp does win, I'd be MUCH more terrified for our state.

Old 06-30-2018, 10:17 AM

296 posts, read 220,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Based on the latest polling, it looks like Cagle is headed for a loss. I don’t see him turning moderate GOP voters in numbers large enough to pull this out. Kemp’s voters are motivated. https://politics.myajc.com/blog/poli...wspaper_email&
Cagle misplayed things after the primary. He should have done everything he could to solidify the moderate and pro-business, pro-growth base. Instead he seems to have tried to make himself look acceptable to the same voters Kemp already had locked up. In doing so, he’s made himself far less acceptable to the base he could have fully dominated vs Kemp.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:25 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,283,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
But it's a risky game. If Kemp does win, I'd be MUCH more terrified for our state.

Yeah, it reminds me of the arguments made about Trump being the GOP nominee.

At the end of the day, the Republican is likely to win in GA either way.

VA transitioned from solid GOP to purple/light blue via boring moderate Dems (who won over moderates/disaffected republicans in NoVa) and extremist republicans (who drove up liberal turnout).

Every state is different, but the Dems are already running an untested high risk/reward strategy by running a boldly progressive candidate in a changing, but still red state.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:09 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,744,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, it reminds me of the arguments made about Trump being the GOP nominee.

At the end of the day, the Republican is likely to win in GA either way.

VA transitioned from solid GOP to purple/light blue via boring moderate Dems (who won over moderates/disaffected republicans in NoVa) and extremist republicans (who drove up liberal turnout).

Every state is different, but the Dems are already running an untested high risk/reward strategy by running a boldly progressive candidate in a changing, but still red state.
Trump winning has more to do with him being populist than him being right wing. If Kemp wins we’d have two populists, except one is reasonable and one is crazy. It’s the Democrats job to take advantage of that by motivating their base. Abrams will attract more people than Clinton could.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Trump winning has more to do with him being populist than him being right wing. If Kemp wins we’d have two populists, except one is reasonable and one is crazy. It’s the Democrats job to take advantage of that by motivating their base. Abrams will attract more people than Clinton could.
Kemp doesn't seem populist at all? He just seems like a nutcase who is more concerned with social issues over anything else.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:18 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Kemp doesn't seem populist at all? He just seems like a nutcase who is more concerned with social issues over anything else.
Trump, Abrams and Kemp have all taken a Populist approach to their respective campaigns.

pop·u·list
ˈpäpyələst/Submit
noun
a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people.
adjective
relating to a populist or populists.
"a populist leader"

It's just that Abrams and Kemp are making an appeal to two very different mindsets. At the risk of oversimplification, I see it as one trying to embrace change, the other trying to resist it.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,872,975 times
Quote:

this reminds me of the "conventional wisdom" that trump would be the easier candidate for a democrat to knock over.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Another poll today has them tied 45-45.

I don't know who is weaker - Cagle won't inspire conservatives to come out, and there's no senate or presidential race so he could be weaker. Kemp will win on turnout for his base but weaker on wooing independents and moderate Republicans in metro ATL.

I hope Cagle wins. Kemp is just way too scary, and a better fit for a state like Mississippi or Alabama. I would be so embarrassed if he won, and he would push religious liberty bills and destroy so many industries. At least Cagle can pretend to be a normal human being and probably listen to business leaders. I don't want to be worried that an Abrams slip up will lead us to electing a Bible thumping, gun toting redneck to lead our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia