Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:02 PM

815 posts, read 709,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well Kemp's lead has declined to 50.2%, it was 50.3 for a long time.

But just about everything is counted at this point.

I still see very little path for Abrams to force a runoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
I believe there are 10,300 possible votes left if you use Abrams number. That includes the originally tossed provisionals. Kemp’s number is below 2,000. The reason for the drop is that DeKalb Gwinnett and Douglas were the last three counties to report so it cut his lead by 2,000 or so
I don't see a path for victory either. One thing I think should be pointed out though is that it does not appear that it is Abrams alone is calling the shots on this. I read an article that the Democratic Party is involved and is planning to use their newly-won investigative powers in the House to look into this election and other cases of alleged election irregularities.

Although I am progressive, I am very conflicted about the continued litigation in this matter. I understand the need to protect the right to vote, but I still haven't seen a legit path to victory or a runoff. These lawsuits could cause a lot of chaos in an election where the final result does not appear will be affected either way.

I am certain that if the Republicans were in this position they would not hesitate to do the same, but I hate to see the Democrats going down this path of obscuring the issue to score political points. This is why I could never be a politician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I don't see a path for victory either. One thing I think should be pointed out though is that it does not appear that it is Abrams alone is calling the shots on this. I read an article that the Democratic Party is involved and is planning to use their newly-won investigative powers in the House to look into this election and other cases of alleged election irregularities.

Although I am progressive, I am very conflicted about the continued litigation in this matter. I understand the need to protect the right to vote, but I still haven't seen a legit path to victory or a runoff. These lawsuits could cause a lot of chaos in an election where the final result does not appear will be affected either way.

I am certain that if the Republicans were in this position they would not hesitate to do the same, but I hate to see the Democrats going down this path of obscuring the issue to score political points. This is why I could never be a politician.
At this point, I'm not even sure a runoff is the point. It's an issue of fairness and vote tampering. It appears that the state Office of Elections is in a shambles.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
At this point, I'm not even sure a runoff is the point. It's an issue of fairness and vote tampering. It appears that the state Office of Elections is in a shambles.
Not really, there doesn't seem to be any credible evidence of vote tampering by the Republicans. Democrats...far different story.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Not really, there doesn't seem to be any credible evidence of vote tampering by the Republicans. Democrats...far different story.
You haven't found this most recent election process to be a complete debacle?
And God Forbid we point a finger at the Republicans, even though their candidate presided over this mess.
Here's hoping the truth will out.

The more the margin narrows, the more strident the calls for concession become.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:32 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
It was over anyway but it’s really over now. Abrams only got half the ruling she wanted. Outside of county provisionals can’t be counted. Judge ruled only in favor of birth date issues on absentees so this is over now. That took out about half or more of the ballots she needed and she needed like 90% of them or more anyway

Old 11-15-2018, 05:02 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
The Washington Post: "Tensions high between Kemp and Abrams campaigns as Georgia awaits court rulings and deadlines in governor’s race"

Old 11-15-2018, 06:21 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
It was over anyway but it’s really over now. Abrams only got half the ruling she wanted. Outside of county provisionals can’t be counted. Judge ruled only in favor of birth date issues on absentees so this is over now. That took out about half or more of the ballots she needed and she needed like 90% of them or more anyway
There was no way out of county provisionals could have been counted, as it was impossible to ensure that nobody double voted. Enfranchisement doesn’t mean accept everything carte blanche...

In the meantime she continues to fundraise and put out commercials. I guess she is setting up herself as the victim so she can get support for her next political effort. Instead I would have preferred it if she used her efforts to pay off her tax debt and credit cards and set herself up with a strong message. She can win but shouldn’t play the victim card.

When Booker and others start to weigh in without having any direct knowledge you know it’s done and they are just making noise for the cameras.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:05 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There was no way out of county provisionals could have been counted, as it was impossible to ensure that nobody double voted. Enfranchisement doesn’t mean accept everything carte blanche...

In the meantime she continues to fundraise and put out commercials. I guess she is setting up herself as the victim so she can get support for her next political effort. Instead I would have preferred it if she used her efforts to pay off her tax debt and credit cards and set herself up with a strong message. She can win but shouldn’t play the victim card.

When Booker and others start to weigh in without having any direct knowledge you know it’s done and they are just making noise for the cameras.
What she is doing is disgusting. This will not bode well for her in the future. It will hang over her for years to come.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Guest columnist Matthew Peney writes in the University of Georgia Red & Black college newspaper that, despite the disappointing outcomes in statewide races for Democrats on November 6th, the overall results of the 2018 midterm elections shows that Democrats are gaining strength in Georgia.

Quote:
While many Democrats across Georgia faced disappointment following the statewide results of the Nov. 6 election, Democrats saw their numbers grow significantly in the Georgia General Assembly. This election showed clear signs that, despite a lack of statewide victories, Democrats’ electoral prospects at the local level in Georgia are improving.
Peney also opines that, after Democrats' improved performance on November 6th, the path to a statewide Democratic majority in Georgia does not seem as far-fetched as it once did.

"GUEST COLUMN: Midterm election shows Democrats gaining strength in Georgia" (Matthew Peney in the University of Georgia Red & Black)

Old 11-15-2018, 09:17 AM

Legal intelligence site JD Supra analyzes what happened in Georgia in the 2018 elections and what it means for the 2020 election cycle and beyond...

"Elections: What Happened in Georgia and What it Means for the Future" (JD Supra)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia