Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 05:36 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times

Advertisements

I don't think Hillary Clinton's support will hurt Abrams anymore than Trump's support will hurt Kemp. This isn't a race to the middle. Neither are working that hard to appeal to the center and few minds are going to change. Georgia is an extremely inelastic state with little cross-party voting. It's going to come down to which candidate can get more of their supporters to the polls. And this fight will be won in middle and south Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 05:43 PM

297 posts, read 271,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The way to win this election is to work smarter. Abrams isn’t going to waste money going after voters that are strongly Republican, she’s registering more Democratic voters. Doesn’t matter how red Georgia is if their voters don’t show up in higher numbers than Democrats. Kemp being connected to Trump is not a good thing in the long run, especially with how the FBI investigation is going.
I'm bringing up a point again but when I voted in the primaries in my area which I was really surprised at the voter turnout. There is a big African American population and I could tell they were really charged up about Abrams. I think her supporters realize her chance will be to sign up new Democratic voters. This will be a real interesting race - kind of like Obama vs Trump on a regional level.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:02 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to agree.

It is amazing that Hillary clobbered Trump so soundly in the ATL (and all of Georgia's other urban areas).

It makes me wonder if our cities aren't seriously out of step with the leadership of the country.

https://www.politico.com/2016-electi...ident/georgia/
Dude trump did not win the popular vote, his approval has not average above 50%. Basically trump won the right patten of states allowed him to win the electoral collage. He managed to win 3 states in the Midwest by less than one percent, that basically decided the whole election. Think about that again a guy who lost the popular vote won because 3 nail bitters of less than one percent.

How are "cities" out of touch when cities reflect the way most of the country actually voted? The electoral college over represent smaller and less populated and under represent more populated ones. No matter how Cali grows for example it can't gain more representives. This this second time in history that the electoral collage went against the popular.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:38 PM

1,057 posts, read 867,954 times
Representatives are assigned based on population.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:10 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Dude trump did not win the popular vote, his approval has not average above 50%. Basically trump won the right patten of states allowed him to win the electoral collage. He managed to win 3 states in the Midwest by less than one percent, that basically decided the whole election. Think about that again a guy who lost the popular vote won because 3 nail bitters of less than one percent.

How are "cities" out of touch when cities reflect the way most of the country actually voted? The electoral college over represent smaller and less populated and under represent more populated ones. No matter how Cali grows for example it can't gain more representives. This this second time in history that the electoral collage went against the popular.
President Trump's approval at this stage of his presidency is higher than that of President Obama. Its clear the left hates him with a passion, but the rest of the country doesn't feel the same way. President Trump also has higher support among his own party than any president in polling history except W. in the aftermath of 9/11. The idea that Republicans will abandon him is due to liberals relying on fake news like CNN and NYT for their opinions.

So the hatred of President Trump may motivate Democrats to get out and vote, but its not going to convince Republicans or independents to vote for Abrams. If Abrams wins, it will be because she convinces independents she has a better plan for Georgia, not because she hates Trump more.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
President Trump's approval at this stage of his presidency is higher than that of President Obama. Its clear the left hates him with a passion, but the rest of the country doesn't feel the same way. President Trump also has higher support among his own party than any president in polling history except W. in the aftermath of 9/11. The idea that Republicans will abandon him is due to liberals relying on fake news like CNN and NYT for their opinions.

So the hatred of President Trump may motivate Democrats to get out and vote, but its not going to convince Republicans or independents to vote for Abrams. If Abrams wins, it will be because she convinces independents she has a better plan for Georgia, not because she hates Trump more.
You might want to check recent polls Trump has a negative approval rating from a Independents. So if anyone is going to rely solely on his support from Republicans then they are in bad shape. As I said earlier 5his race will be determined by which base turns out in higher numbers and how the independent voters go.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:45 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I don't know which trump campaign you watched but it sure isn't the one I watched. And picking up a couple of token republicans, mostly that don't even identify with their own race for the most part, certainly doesn't change that. Let's all be real here... we going to act like we don't all know what make america "great" again really meant?
Preach! Spot on post.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 PM

Default Abrams or Kemp?

Go...

Old 07-25-2018, 09:57 PM

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ce-2018-a.html

Old 07-25-2018, 10:44 PM

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia