Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:40 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,964,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Have you read her explanation of why she is in debt? Or is it considered BS?
I have read it and I empathize, however that does not mean I'm going to vote for her for governor of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:19 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,215,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Also don't forget that the GOP is almost guaranteed to hold the state legislature. So an Abrams win would mean a split government.

Whereas if Kemp wins, he would have free reign to enact his far-right agenda. He's made no secret that he would sign into law bathroom bills and "religious liberty" bills.
This needs to be emphasized and given serious consideration by all voters. Split government is the only way to achieve compromise, which is what most reasonable people want in almost all aspects of life. Especially in government. It can also result in gridlock, but that is far better than runaway agenda-driven legislation.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:07 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,714,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I have read it and I empathize, however that does not mean I'm going to vote for her for governor of the state.
I'm confused about how someone can't look past the taxes (which she is paying back), but can look past Kemp's horrible record as a SoS. Or the general rhetoric of his breed of politician lately. All negative, no positive - jut fear mongering and attack ads.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM

31,993 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I'm confused about how someone can't look past the taxes (which she is paying back), but can look past Kemp's horrible record as a SoS. Or the general rhetoric of his breed of politician lately. All negative, no positive - jut fear mongering and attack ads.
I don't see Abrams' personal debt as a deal breaker. Many politicians (including our current governor, who I like) have been in financial straits.

I'm more concerned about whether they use their position to enrich themselves, as has occurred countless times.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:49 AM

815 posts, read 701,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Yeah, the people who are harping on Abrams' taxes don't even bring up Deal and Kemp's finances. I am trying to see the other side but I'm not seeing why Abrams choosing to pay for her dad's chemo instead of paying for her taxes right away is a deal breaker but Kemp and Deal's financial troubles are of no concern.

BTW, has Kemp even released his tax returns yet? Talk about living in a glass house!

Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,714,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Yeah, the people who are harping on Abrams' taxes don't even bring up Deal and Kemp's finances. I am trying to see the other side but I'm not seeing why Abrams choosing to pay for her dad's chemo instead of paying for her taxes right away is a deal breaker but Kemp and Deal's financial troubles are of no concern.

BTW, has Kemp even released his tax returns yet? Talk about living in a glass house!
I mean...Abrams' taxes is literally the only dirt Kemp has been able to dredge up about her, and I'm SURE he is looking for more dirt to bring up. That tells me that she is likely a pretty honest person, and has been and will continue to be a politician looking out for the people. There is basically an endless list of legitimate dirt that Abrams could attack Kemp with though - from his record as SoS to his finances - that she hasn't brought up yet since she is trying to run a clean and positive campaign. Again, this shows me that she is really interested in doing what is right by the people, rather than playing dirty politics.

If we're going to elect someone based on their character, then Abrams is the obvious leader based on the way she is running her campaign. It's one thing to argue that you don't agree with Abrams' policy - that's legitimate if you can agree that there is a problem and debate alternative solutions to the identified problems using facts and data - but you cannot argue that she isn't running on a clean campaign that's focusing on bringing ALL people together. It's a stark contrast to Kemp's fear-mongering attack ads that aim to divide people , and broad stroke statements about problems with little in the way of policy solutions. If you truly care about a politician doing what is right by the people, the people who support Kemp need to do more pressing about his actual policy solutions, rather than the same ol' rhetoric. Religious Freedom Bills, guns everywhere, etc - these aren't policy solutions to any problem, they're just empty words catering to a select group of people without solving any actual problems. YEP, I just said that.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:46 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL2019 View Post
Why are you Kemp supporters not talking more about how Kemp is closely related to the polling issue in Randolph County, a majority African-American county - https://politics.myajc.com/blog/poli...6PV327cfTGavN/. Kemp is not ethical enough to be Governor of Georgia. He is only here to suppress votes so that he can claim victory. This is unacceptable and he needs to resign from being Secretary of State immediately.

https://politics.myajc.com/blog/poli...vLQr6PV327cfTG
This needs to be discussed, specifically, which detail exactly in Randolph County's polling locations is non-compliant with ADA requirements? They're being very tight-lipped about that detail. Probably because if that detail were known it'd be obvious they are full of it. I can't think of any ADA violation that couldn't be easily corrected between now and election day, or even within a matter of hours if the will was there to do it. There is absolutely no excuse to close down these polling locations when simple and easy to implement accommodations are available to correct any accessibility problem.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:06 PM

815 posts, read 701,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This needs to be discussed, specifically, which detail exactly in Randolph County's polling locations is non-compliant with ADA requirements? They're being very tight-lipped about that detail. Probably because if that detail were known it'd be obvious they are full of it. I can't think of any ADA violation that couldn't be easily corrected between now and election day, or even within a matter of hours if the will was there to do it. There is absolutely no excuse to close down these polling locations when simple and easy to implement accommodations are available to correct any accessibility problem.
I actually don't want to believe that Kemp (or his supporters) would intentionally try to disenfranchise so many voters, but it's looking more and more like that. Whether he wins or loses is going to come down to how many people of color turn out to vote and coincidentally his biggest "blunders" impact minority voters the most.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:08 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL2019 View Post
Exactly! This also brings up a valid point of why Kemp thinks that implementing paper ballots will cause chaos before November. He is the reason behind everything that is going on and he simply needs to resign to allow a competent person to head the votes fairly. I believe that he doesn't want to relinquish control because the world will then be able to see what he has actually been up to especially with the purging of minority voter registrations. Kemp is a crook!
Hopefully Abrams has someone on her team working on these types of problems. She's running a clean campaign, but she needs some pit bulls working for her behind the scenes if she wants to win. The "get more people to vote" strategy can't succeed if the opposition is employing "make it impossible for more people to vote" tactics.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:03 PM

296 posts, read 218,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcytpirt View Post
It was true. The secretary of state's website showed the cast votes vs registered voters for a specific county as being 243% over. Once the discrepancy was pointed out, the website was mysteriously updated.
No, the report was false. The report said there were more votes cast than registered voters. That is false. A website showed the correct number of votes but the incorrect number of registered voters. The correct number of registered voters has been available on other public websites the entire time. The implication and allegation that election fraud/theft occurred is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia