Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abrams or Kemp?
Abrams 88 61.97%
Kemp 54 38.03%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 PM

132 posts, read 144,230 times

Advertisements

We have more division between red and blue (brighter areas), and two divided candidates that both tried to appeal to the “wings” or extremes of either party. If we want to make Georgia purple, we need more moderate/centrist candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 12:52 PM

132 posts, read 144,230 times
It took hours to wait in line to cast a vote. I can bank on my phone, buy bonds from the US treasury on my phone, but I have to wait two hours in line to vote? On a machine that is easily hacked? Polling areas in Fulton and Gwinnette had voting computers down and some had to wait 4 hours.

This has nothing to do with parties, but you can get a root canal faster than you can vote. That certainly suppressed those that don’t have hours to wait.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetwise5 View Post
We have more division between red and blue (brighter areas), and two divided candidates that both tried to appeal to the “wings” or extremes of either party. If we want to make Georgia purple, we need more moderate/centrist candidates.
Moderate don’t bring people to the polls, plus what even is a moderate? Abrams definitely wasn’t far left and Kemp was barley far right (at least when it comes to policy, his rhetoric was definitely far right).

Old 11-17-2018, 01:26 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
What I’m seeing is the urban areas becoming more blue and the rural areas becoming more red. This doesn’t really explain why she lost though, she had more votes than any other Democratic candidate in Georgia. I think we underestimated Kemp’s ability to register new voters, and purge ones that would be beneficial toward Democrats.
Actually it does. While gaining two counties in metro Atlanta,she lost a couple that carter won outside the Atlanta area. It's the main reason why we're not having a runoff.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:47 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its just Democrats who have trouble with the concept of being gracious.
Just how has Stacey Abrams failed in endeavoring to be gracious? In that arena she has run circles around her opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You don't seem to understand the concept.
I certainly don't require a lecture from you on the subject.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:49 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Actually it does. While gaining two counties in metro Atlanta,she lost a couple that carter won outside the Atlanta area. It's the main reason why we're not having a runoff.
She obtained more overall votes than Carter did and lost by a smaller margin of votes than Carter. Atlanta contains more than half of Georgia’s population and Republicans just lost their suburban strongholds of Cobb and Gwinnett. Democrats can win with only Atlanta and the second tier cities, especially if growth in Atlanta, Augusta, and Savannah keep up while rural counties keep shrinking.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:41 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
She obtained more overall votes than Carter did and lost by a smaller margin of votes than Carter. Atlanta contains more than half of Georgia’s population and Republicans just lost their suburban strongholds of Cobb and Gwinnett. Democrats can win with only Atlanta and the second tier cities, especially if growth in Atlanta, Augusta, and Savannah keep up while rural counties keep shrinking.
Kemp also had more overall votes than Deal. However,who was able to flip more counties? Kemp 7 to Abrams 2.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Until we get a reliable voting system then we'll never really know what the actual voter trends are. Too much variability in the existing system.
Demographic trends will favor the Democrats, but it may be 8 years before there is a change in the governorship—Georgia is doing well, Kemp probably won’t/can’t mess that up—Keisha Lance-Bottoms is in a similar situation in Atlanta.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:17 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Demographic trends will favor the Democrats, but it may be 8 years before there is a change in the governorship—Georgia is doing well, Kemp probably won’t/can’t mess that up—
None of that's going to matter if we can't get free, fair, and accurate elections again.

Quote:
Keisha Lance-Bottoms is in a similar situation in Atlanta.
Funny you should mention that...I remember right here at DP casting doubt on the validity of Bottoms's election victory. That race was razor-thin, and because of our joke of an electronic voting system, we can never be fully confident that she outright won the race. I hope she did just for the sake of democracy, but we can't be sure that she did.

Kemp, however, took these shenanigans to a whole new level. He was both the contender and the referee in a system that already had enough asterisks on it as is. He refused to make the simplest of changes that could have shored up the electoral system that the FBI said in no uncertain terms sucked. And on top of that, he starts spreading this ridiculous conspiracy theory that the Democrats were trying to hack the voting machines that he himself refused to protect.

I think we are going to miss the calm, steady leadership of Governor Nathan Deal. Brace yourself--winter is coming.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetwise5 View Post
It took hours to wait in line to cast a vote. I can bank on my phone, buy bonds from the US treasury on my phone, but I have to wait two hours in line to vote? On a machine that is easily hacked? Polling areas in Fulton and Gwinnette had voting computers down and some had to wait 4 hours.

This has nothing to do with parties, but you can get a root canal faster than you can vote. That certainly suppressed those that don’t have hours to wait.
Does your smartphone know it’s you voting? That you’re a citizen? That you’re also not voting via machine or provisional ballot? If people can vote by smartphone doesn’t that disenfranchise the elderly and poor who can’t afford one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia