Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 AM

16,181 posts, read 10,323,045 times

Advertisements

Last month, Georgia Division of Family and Children Services took custody of Suzeanna and Matthew Brill's son after Twiggs County Sheriff's Office deputies arrested them for giving him marijuana.

It's a charge they don't deny.

"We openly admitted to them in front of Twiggs County sheriff's deputies," said Matthew Brill.

Their son, who we're not identifying because he is a minor and because of the sensitive nature of this case, was taken from the Brill's custody.

According to a Twiggs County Sheriff's Office report they're now charged with reckless conduct.

However, they say they're not bad parents -- they were doing what they had to to stop their son's frequent seizures.

The Brills say their son suffered from several seizures every day, "seven days a week, 24 hours a day."

After trying several prescription drugs and even cannabis oil with no results, they turned to marijuana.

"I smoke it first," said stepfather Matthew Brill. "I know where it comes from, I know my people. Made sure the bag was good, packed the bowl in my bowl, which I know ain't been anywhere else, and I set it on the table and told him that it was his decision. I did not tell him he had to or not."

The Brills say their son began smoking several times a day and when he did, it kicked off a 71-day stretch without a single seizure.

Even though they're facing a reckless conduct charge, the parents say they'd do it again to protect their child.

"Nothing else was working," said Suzeanna Brill. "I can't have my kid dying because no one wants to listen."

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo.../269-558979698

I don't blame the police, their job is to uphold the law even if it's an outdated law. But losing custody of your child just for trying to help him? Oh man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 AM

11,714 posts, read 7,904,568 times
Im no law expert but I personally wish they could give the family a fighting chance by looking at his medical records and atleast determining per doctors records and recommendations if prescribed medical marijuana would be of benefit to the kid to stop the seizures. If it does, drop the charges and return custody...

I mean, I understand its against law and all but I feel there really needs to be an exception here, the kid can't live a functional life as it stands currently and the family can't afford to continuously go to doctors for stuff that doesn't help.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:21 AM

Just heart breaking that the family has been separated from their son. And of course there's that other little problem that the seizures have returned.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:51 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,631,740 times
Georgia is a very backward state.

Kid should have been allowed the medicine that will allow him to live a normal life. Don't want to turn this into a political thing, but you have to look at the people who insist that cannabis is evil and will do everything they can to keep it legally unaccessible.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:24 AM

Yeah I don't want to turn it into a Georgia bashing thread either. Georgia is conservative and conservatives tend to be more anti-marijuana. As I said I don't blame the sheriff, he was just enforcing the laws. I was more interested in discussing the child custody issue and the common sense of allowing this kid to get treatment that is obviously helping him without punishing the family.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,169,836 times
Best immediate option for the family is to move to Colorado or another state that allows medical or recreational marijuana.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,416,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Best immediate option for the family is to move to Colorado or another state that allows medical or recreational marijuana.
Texas just passed medical cannabis legislation. Georgia is definitely behind the times on this one! It passed in Texas after a lack of compassion was discovered involving several children whose seizures were reduced by this medicine during committee testimony.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
This may be their only option. I wonder if the state, or whoever is in charge of this custody situation, will allow them to take their son to another state.

Old 06-26-2018, 03:20 PM

615 posts, read 1,372,315 times
Default If Georgia is considered "a very backward state," then why is it one of the fastest-growing states in the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Georgia is a very backward state.
If Georgia is considered "a very backward state," then why is it one of the fastest-growing states in the USA?

Old 06-26-2018, 05:37 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,386,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
If Georgia is considered "a very backward state," then why is it one of the fastest-growing states in the USA?
Because there are a lot of low information ultra conservative rednecks in this state.

It's mostly the urban areas (which generally have more intelligent and educated people) that are fast growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia