Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 11:42 AM

152 posts, read 743,614 times

Advertisements

I've recently accepted a job in Albany, GA, and the MCLB. I am currently living in the Chicago, IL area and due to my work schedule, I will not be able to actually visit Albany prior to having to relocate there, and move in somewhere down there. Matter of fact, the closest I've ever been to Albany is when I've traveled up and down I-75, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the area.

With all of that said, I am in a situation where I have to find an apartment and move in sight-unseen, doing all of my apartment searching online. In browsing various apartment websites, I am curious about a couple of different apartment complexes- Pointe North (on Dawson Rd.) and Hidden Oaks (on Mock Road).

If anyone has any information, positive or negative, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate knowing of any parts of town that should be avoided in searching for an apartment.

Thanks,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 PM

31 posts, read 154,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
I've recently accepted a job in Albany, GA, and the MCLB. I am currently living in the Chicago, IL area and due to my work schedule, I will not be able to actually visit Albany prior to having to relocate there, and move in somewhere down there. Matter of fact, the closest I've ever been to Albany is when I've traveled up and down I-75, so I'm completely unfamiliar with the area.

With all of that said, I am in a situation where I have to find an apartment and move in sight-unseen, doing all of my apartment searching online. In browsing various apartment websites, I am curious about a couple of different apartment complexes- Pointe North (on Dawson Rd.) and Hidden Oaks (on Mock Road).

If anyone has any information, positive or negative, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate knowing of any parts of town that should be avoided in searching for an apartment.

Thanks,

Jeff
jeff, i live about 25 miles from albany. i am not really familiar with either one of these apts but i think the dawson road area would probably be in a lot better neighborhood. hope this helps a little.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 PM

602 posts, read 1,954,958 times
You would be much better off at Pointe North; east Albany is where most of the crime happens. I'm basing that not only on anecdotal evidence, but on media/police reports. In other words, avoid living on Mock Road.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,234,980 times
I have lived in Albany about 40 years (Pretty much all my life). Hope I can help.

1. The Shoreham - 2001 Dawson Road - 229-435-6611

Older apartments that have been renovated. They are a bit larger and perhaps a tiny bit more reasonable than some of the others. Each one has a nice fenced patio area ( I think). They are directly across the street from Lake Loretta - a large man-made lake. This is a nice area and I would probably look into these first if I was staying in Albany/Dougherty County - (but I would head to Lee County if I were you). Nice pools and tennis courts.

2. The Gardens - 1404 Whispering Pines Rd - 229-889-8030

Not bad and in a safe area. Large pool and tennis courts - decent sized apartments.

There are many more, just depends on your taste. I, myself, would look into Lee County apartments. (Lee County is basically a suburb of Albany and is, in my opinion, the best place to move to!!!!! They are so close together that you really cannot tell when you leave Albany and enter Lee county)

If I were to have to move to this area and look for an apartment, I would 100% rent one at Creekwood Apartments in Lee County!!!!!!!!

Creekwood Apartments - 1578 Highway 19 South, Leesburg GA 31763
229-883-1862

These are really nice and they have opened a new phase that is REALLY nice!!! Huge pool and nice tennis courts, gym and most have sunrooms, patios etc.... They are actually located on the creek (which is a pretty nice sized flowing body of water) and are my favorite out of all apartments in the Albany area. They are in the midst of everything, but the way they are settled, they are pushed back and seem almost country.

There are a couple of property management companies that have lots of houses, apartments, etc...Some will fax you listings they have. Keep in mind that if you stay within the 31707 and the 31763 zip codes, usually (but not always) that is a good indication of where you might want to be. (NW Albany & Lee County respectively.)

1. B & B rental agency - 605 Pine Avenue - Albany GA 229-435-5216

2. Hughey & Newman - 532 N. Westover Blvd - Albany GA 229-436-0212

3. Walden & Kirkland Rental Dept (They are also Real Estate Agents)
601 N. Slappey Blvd - Albany GA 229-446-9985

Hope this helps!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:44 PM

Oh yes, you mentioned "any area you should stay away from". East Albany - pretty much where MCLB is located. Don't get me wrong, you will be perfectly safe working and commuting there, I just would not live in the area.

If you were to rent an apt in Lee county (specifically Creekwood) it would take you about 2 minutes to get on the bypass and about 15 - 20 MAX to get to the gate at the base, if that long. Pretty much same for any of the apartments I have listed.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:00 PM

8 posts, read 51,403 times
Quote:

Thanks,

Jeff
Pointe North would be your best bet. or try staying at Extended Stay on Dawson Rd.for a month or so ,giving yourself the opportunity to look around and become more familiar with the entire area.
We moved here over 37 years ago from Aurora,so know pretty much how you feel. It takes some getting used to, but stay cool, and you too will love it!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM

capri man, FlourChild, Katsmeeyow, and MOM2NINE-

Thanks for the info and the time spent in providing it, It does help a lot. It seems Hidden Oaks is eliminated, and I'll definitely look into Leesburg. I very well may just end up staying at the Extended Stay for a month or so, rather than simply rolling the dice and hoping it comes up snake eyes. Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM

602 posts, read 1,954,958 times
Quote:
capri man, FlourChild, Katsmeeyow, and MOM2NINE-

Thanks for the info and the time spent in providing it, It does help a lot. It seems Hidden Oaks is eliminated, and I'll definitely look into Leesburg. I very well may just end up staying at the Extended Stay for a month or so, rather than simply rolling the dice and hoping it comes up snake eyes. Thanks again!
You are very welcome, Jeff3166. I hope your experience in Albany is better than ours has been. My husband works on MCLB, and his job is fine, but we are seriously looking to move to a better town, which will probably mean another state (b/c of job availability in his field). I wish you the best of luck.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM

Good luck in your search! BTW, once you get here, you really should try a Jimmy's Hotdog. Kind of an institution around here! It is across the street from the bus station, and not in the best neighborhood, but you see everyone in there! No place to sit and it is kind of like an assembly line. Just DO NOT leave a hotdog wrapper in your car or you will have to have it fumigated!!!! Also Jo's on Dawson Road - almost across from Lake Loretta has some FINE down-home country cooking!

If you like to fish or have a boat, there are many places to go. There is a public ramp at Lake Cheehaw on Philema Road which puts you in the Flint River, and you are only about 50 minutes from Lake Blackshear where there is Veteran's Memorial Park with picnic facilities, public boat ramp, pool, beach area, and an upscale restaurant that overlooks the water. There are also rental slips available for boats. Across from Veterans Parks is Striplings. They have some of the best sausage I have ever tasted - I prefer the fresh to the smoked and the hot is really HOT! We have a second home there and it is really beautiful.

If I can help, let me know!

Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Thanks again FlourChild and Katsmeeyow for the info, good luck, and the offer of additional help if required.

I was wondering another thing about the Hidden Oaks Apartments. I'm not much of one to have a lot of patience in some regards, and dealing with traffic is pretty much what I have the least amount of patience with. With that said, Hidden Oaks is appealing in that it is very close to the MCLB. In looking at online pictures of the Hidden Oaks Apartment complex, it actually looks pretty nice place (ie: swimming pool, tennis courts, well maintained buildings/grounds, etc.).

Do either of you (or anyone else) know if Hidden Oaks is actually a nice apartment complex, with friendly people, that is stuck in a not-so-good part of town... or is it a socially-troubled community that is actually not as nice as it appears in the pictures on the apartments.com and apartmentfinder.com websites?

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia