Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I love that people have stooped so low that they blame religion for everything, that is truly pathetic.
Religion isn't the problem - it's the way some people decide to practice it... or more specifically, feel that they have the right to impose their personal beliefs on others through laws. Religion isn't evil - it's those who misuse it to suit their own needs that turns some away from it. It's nothing new... remember the crusades?

Like politics, people should have the right to privately practice whatever religion they wish so long as it does not harm others. They should have the right to build churches or sanctuaries to house whatever type of temple they want, and to have a place were others who share their beliefs can meet and have functions. I think once they start collecting money they should have to pay taxes though, but that's another topic.

My problem with organized religion is that in many cases it leaks over from those boundaries. It no longer is private. When someone who adheres to a very strict way of their faith makes it into a public office, they will try to influence local laws to match their personal religious beliefs or "morality", if you will. If you get a group of such people making office, then even State or Federal laws can be influenced by their beliefs. Sorry, I can't support or go along with that. I'm one who speaks out.

Saying all of this, people are surprised to know that I'm not an athiest. But I just can't stand to see others push their personal beliefs onto others rather than to simply live their own lives in such a way that they are not exposed to the things they oppose. Instead they feel that if they personally oppose something then it must be "wrong for all", and try to ban it for everyone. That is not right in any sense of any way you can look at it.

Most people are not blaming religion - they're blaming the way some people misuse it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Most people are not blaming religion - they're blaming the way some people misuse it.
Well stated comments Greg. I actually AM an atheist, and while I am absolutely for protecting the right for individuals to practice their religion, I do blame religion for many of the troubles in the world, since without religion, those troubles would not exist. That's another topic.

The problem around Sunday sales, and other controversial topics, is that religious people never seem to consider that not everyone has the same beliefs. When you listen to some, like the Christian Coalition and other opponents of Sunday sales, they offer absurd token reasons for their opposition, designed to show that religion isn't the underlying reason. When you listen more carefully or dig deeper, they get back to the real reason, that Sunday is the "lord's day" and people should be forced to adhere to fundamentalist Christian beliefs.

While it's not limited to the south, and can be found anywhere in the US, in many places in the south the presumption seems to be that everyone shares the same religious beliefs. Those beliefs seem to get a presumption of being "true" and "correct" while atheists or people of other religions are treated as aberrant.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,186 times
Default unconstitutional

it's a fact. It's just plain "UNCONSTITUTIONAL" and that's all. Read our first amendment.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
if this ever passes i will buy all my fire water on sunday, just to make a point.

i was talking with somebody about my recent pa trip. well there you have to go to a special beer store to buy beer. if you want some 40proof you need to go to a bulk state mandated store. of course there is usually one of those in the whole county (parish, because it sounds so posh. parish). so you drive around trying to find the all brick warehouse with no windows that looks and actually smells like an outhouse in the field adjacent to the tarmac of kabul international.

but despite all that, you can buy it on a sunday. my point?

ga is really not that backwards when it comes to alcohol. and just because you can buy it on a sunday in an "evolved" state, doesnt mean you can access it. on any day to boot!

i hope the law is repealed but if its not, id rather wait a day then have to hunt for a warehouse with no selection that is 20 miles away

Old 09-23-2011, 12:48 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
There is absolutely no reason to prohibit alcoholic beverage sales on any given day. The sun sets and rises the same on all seven days. Many people work on sundays and are off durnig the middle of the week. Their sunday may be on a wednesday or thursday. The only reason alcoholic beverage sales are banned on sunday is because of the influence and lobbying of the delusional religious bunch who don't want it sold on sunday. This should not even be an issue, if it is to be sold at all it should be sold seven days a week.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
There is absolutely no reason to prohibit alcoholic beverage sales on any given day. The sun sets and rises the same on all seven days. Many people work on sundays and are off durnig the middle of the week. Their sunday may be on a wednesday or thursday. The only reason alcoholic beverage sales are banned on sunday is because of the influence and lobbying of the delusional religious bunch who don't want it sold on sunday. This should not even be an issue, if it is to be sold at all it should be sold seven days a week.
Interestingly enough, Minnesota also bans the sale of alcohol on Sundays, and from what I've heard some of the largest opponents to changing that are the liquor store owners.

I don't know their reasoning. I just thought it was interesting. Maybe they like having the day off.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:59 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Interestingly enough, Minnesota also bans the sale of alcohol on Sundays, and from what I've heard some of the largest opponents to changing that are the liquor store owners.

I don't know their reasoning. I just thought it was interesting. Maybe they like having the day off.
There were restaurant and liquor store here in GA were also were opposed to it. They didnt want to have to work on sunday. Even if it were to be made legal they wouldnt HAVE to be open on sunday if the choose not to. Chic Fil A is closed on sundays. They're just pandering to the delusional religious types who most likley patronize their liquor stores the other six daays of the wek.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:30 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
They should allow alcohol sales any day of the week. It does not make a difference, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia