Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:07 PM

77 posts, read 84,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Maybe there was a miscommunication with your realtor or you need a new realtor..

20+ years of building homes and there are definitely more formal dining rooms in older homes from the 70's and 80's. fwiw, I like older homes because they tend to be in better locations and have better lots.

Tell us a little bit more. Single? Kids? how big of a house? Townhouse ok? What type of restaurants? ethnic food, brew pub, or trendy?
Exactly! Because all my older relatives have formal dining rooms. We are renting an older home in Stone Mountain and have one. Married, one child (doesn’t live with us but you never know) 3B /2 B minimum. We are okay with a townhouse. We’re in early to mid thirties. Near ethnic food and good restaurants (we eat everything). We often go to buckhead/sandy springs/Decatur for outings.

I’d like a nice kitchen but know w our budget we may have to have some concessions.

I was stuck on east point or in town areas ITP due to appreciating home values and proximity to fun stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 05:33 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Mod Note: I have merged all three of your threads and requests for suggestions together.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
To be blunt, you're going to hate your life with a commute from East Point/Hapeville to Stone Mountain, given how horrible the traffic is in Atlanta's NE suburbs.

I would stick with the NE suburbs if I were you.
Thanks for the suggestion I was hoping to get close to in town before it becomes unaffordable. I’ve been laid off before so am not stuck to being close to a job because one never knows. Thanks!

Old 10-13-2018, 10:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle14 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion I was hoping to get close to in town before it becomes unaffordable. I’ve been laid off before so am not stuck to being close to a job because one never knows. Thanks!
IMO, as someone suggested earlier, I would consider the areas in Decatur that are still affordable, which puts you midway between downtown Atlanta, Perimeter Center, Buckhead and Stone Mountain

Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
IMO, as someone suggested earlier, I would consider the areas in Decatur that are still affordable, which puts you midway between downtown Atlanta, Perimeter Center, Buckhead and Stone Mountain
We drove around Decatur A LOT this weekend and focused on houses such as 2191 Miriam Ln, Decatur, GA 30032 in the 30032 zip code. Surrounding areas looks a little sketchy but we saw a lot of renovations taking place. What are yall’s thoughts on appreciation in this area of Decatur?

Old 10-18-2018, 04:45 PM

1,005 posts, read 729,357 times
The southeastern parts of unincorporated Atlanta and unincorporated Decatur are overpriced, in my opinion. The new builds in particular, but I'm not sure about the renos. I'm confused: you said you often dined/went out in Decatur, so I'm wondering if you've ever stomped these grounds before. Do you mean the official city bounds? It might be more useful for you to also talk to the neighbors next to renos or new builds to get a better sense of the street, because development in those areas is quite uneven. Now, if you don't want to spend money on a home and bet on its appreciation due to its proximity to Atlanta or Decatur (or, the fact that more and more people want to move into cities these days), it makes more sense to me to look all throughout Tucker so you can have a South-North travel situation for work in Stone Mtn.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
The southeastern parts of unincorporated Atlanta and unincorporated Decatur are overpriced, in my opinion. The new builds in particular, but I'm not sure about the renos. I'm confused: you said you often dined/went out in Decatur, so I'm wondering if you've ever stomped these grounds before. Do you mean the official city bounds? It might be more useful for you to also talk to the neighbors next to renos or new builds to get a better sense of the street, because development in those areas is quite uneven. Now, if you don't want to spend money on a home and bet on its appreciation due to its proximity to Atlanta or Decatur (or, the fact that more and more people want to move into cities these days), it makes more sense to me to look all throughout Tucker so you can have a South-North travel situation for work in Stone Mtn.
More downtown Decatur. The realtor took us to Stonecrest...outrageously beautiful homes but friends told us to go for schools.

Now we have Tucker, Brookwood and parkview schools with a $250K budget. Thank u!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia