Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM

6 posts, read 33,316 times

Advertisements

we are planning on moving to Georgia, wanting any help we are a gay couple have no children wanting to find a nice town not real big but accept gay people and some what nice weather not to cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 07:33 PM

44 posts, read 289,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird80 View Post
we are planning on moving to Georgia, wanting any help we are a gay couple have no children wanting to find a nice town not real big but accept gay people and some what nice weather not to cold

the further south Ga you go, the more humid it gets. Athens Ga is a great city to live in, also Atlanta is a very "accepting" city. Both of these cities have a good job market, Athens is cheaper to live in, and the pay rate is slighty lower than if you found a job in Atlanta. There is plenty to do in Athens as well!

Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 PM

Default peaches

thank you very much we will be checking athens out we dont like big citys but not small towns either.now we are in salina kansas what to get out of kansas go where its a little warmer

Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Savannah also has a large gay population. Funny thing, women live out at the beach, men in town. (generally speaking)

Old 12-15-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~peaches~ View Post
the further south Ga you go, the more humid it gets. Athens Ga is a great city to live in, also Atlanta is a very "accepting" city. Both of these cities have a good job market, Athens is cheaper to live in, and the pay rate is slighty lower than if you found a job in Atlanta. There is plenty to do in Athens as well!
peaches-we thank you very much but we want a town thats not will big we live in salina kansas 55,000 people thats about the size we are looking for or smaller

Old 12-15-2006, 10:19 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there is a population threshold of about 100k in most southern towns where you can expect to find people who are openly and comfortably "out". It's just an observation... Universities seem to tip the balance down here because they bring in a more diverse population.

So Tweety, you might need to reevaluate your critera for Georgia, if that's the case. And I can already think of a few cities that are that large where you would feel isolated socially, even if you were accepted. My guess is that Athens, Savannah, Atlanta (or outskirts), and maybe Augusta or Macon are your choices.

And this is just a longshot, look at Beaufort, SC or High Springs, FL. They might be in your size range.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,643 times
Default Dont Move Here....

I am from the SF Bay Area and regret moving to this backwards place. These people still live in the 1960's. They are not progressive thinkers and are very judgemental. They think everyone's weird, but themselves. And they are the weird ones..... It is not worth it!!! It takes me nearly 2 hrs to drive 20 miles. That is not the sign of a progressive city.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 20,112 times
Default Husband transferred to Metter, GA

Hi, My husband has been transferred to Metter, GA. We have lived all over the south, Ruston, LA; Baton Rouge, LA; Fort Smith, AR; Brandon, MS; and we now live in Hattiesburg, MS. We have about 45,000 people, it is a college town and after Hurricane Katrina has been booming. We are 40 miles north of the MS Gulf Coast. Leaving here is hard, we have the best schools in the state and an awesome contemporary baptist church. We have been looking and have looked at Statesboro, Vidalia, and Dublin. Statesboro seems to be growing, but lacks any charm. Vidalia is too small. Dublin was very charming. I am wondering if anyone can give any insight that I may be missing. We have two children 10 and 11, the 11 year old is autistic and we MUST be in a great school district. I have found the housing to be a little disappointing. We looked at homes from 350k-500k and have found the building materials cheaper than what we are accustomed to. When you look at houses in that price range in MS you get a completely bricked home, granite, stainless steel appliances and high end finishes. Is there any other area that we are missing that deserves a look? We are going to move in the summer when the kids are out of school. My husband has been living in the Holiday Inn Express in Metter since September. Poor thing! Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:38 AM

89 posts, read 122,057 times
Well Id stay outta North Georgia if youre gay . Its not the place for you and you would regret it. Atlantas gay freindly though and very diverse as North Georgia is mainly white republicans.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 AM

233 posts, read 1,226,983 times
I don't know about any of those area. However, you might consider Bryan or Effingham county. The schools in both counties are very good. Looks like the closest towns would be Pembroke in Bryan. I haven't heard very much about it. And Guyton in Effingham. Effingham county is doing a lot of growing. There is plenty of land left and homes that would better suit you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia