Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:24 AM

351 posts, read 884,406 times

Advertisements

the augusta area u need to atleast check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 06:35 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
My favorite Georgia places consist of Rabun County, the very NE corner county of the state. The town of Dahlonega, located in Lumpkin County.
Last, is the new housing development (very, very, small housing development) in Callaway Gardens, Pine Mountain.
The only drawback is unless you are retired or work from home, there is nothing else around. You mostly have to leave the areas if you want healthcare, malls, etc.

Living in the Atanta Burb's. Like the NE section of Gwinnett myself. Has everything at your fingertips, plus homes are going up in value. Drawback is if you work south of Duluth, get ready for traffic.

Downtown area? Atlantic Station is a nice area, new and a tad bit pricey.

There is always Johns Creek (yuppie center of Duluth) and Buckhead (old money with a mixture of wannabe old money) they are very nice areas if you like the city yuppie atmosphere. It's all personal choice.

Lastly, Savannah is nice for history and visiting. The downtown area outside of River Street is getting very dicey. The inner town has lost over 20,000 population since last census, mostly due to crime etc.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:49 AM

81 posts, read 270,075 times
You will not find a brick house with pool and all the amenities in an Atlanta suburb for under 300 thou. That is a dream. I doubt if you'll find brick facing and pool there for that. Oh, Alton Brown does not live in Marietta. He is in Apharetta.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 32,140 times
We live in Newnan Georgia. Originally I am from The Fayette County area, grew up there and attended Fayette County Schools from Kind. through the 12th grade. They were the best schools then but now is a different story. Now my kids are in Coweta schools and I am very impressed. My daughter is in first grade at ElM Street and I have no bad complaints. She is actually in an excellerated learning program. The commute to Atlanta from the south side is by far the easiest than from Atlanta. I have an uncle that lives on the north side and works 10 miles from his home but takes 45 minutes to get there. Here on the southside we are about 30 miles from Atlanta and it takes about 45 minutes. No headaches with traffic. The cost of living is better on the southside than the northside in my opinion. You couldnt pay me to live on the northside of Atlanta with all the traffic.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:22 PM

104 posts, read 521,658 times
We are pondering a move to Gwinnett County, Georgia. While this county is quite large, I've heard great things about it. I visited Gwinnett in July 06 and was very impressed. I have to say, I didn't encounter the traffic I've been warned about, but that's because I was visiting on a Friday (after rush hour) and a Saturday/Sunday. On my visit I discovered that Gwinnett is HUGE and there were lots of little cities within it. I was drawn to Sugar Hill, Flowery Branch, and Dacula. I believe they were in the northeastern part of the county. These areas appear to be up and coming, and they have excellent schools, as does all of Gwinnett County. I also found you get more bang for your buck house wise in those areas. There is a newer neighborhood in Flowery Branch that just blew us away. You might not have a pool in your backyard, but you should check out the pool and the clubhouse that it has! It was amazing! I'm drawing a blank on the name of the neighborhood, but I'll think of it and edit this post.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:04 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
We moved from Florida and we love it here. We live in Cherokee county (nw part of GA) and think this is the best place ever! You may be able to find the home you are looking for in this county. Taxes, homeowners insurance, and car insurance are so much cheaper then Florida. Our standard of living went up a couple of notches from the way we lived in Florida.

Good Luck

Old 12-31-2006, 06:18 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,131 times
Can someone tell me about Pooler? I am especially interested if it has the same "ambience" as Savannah has, since it is so close. I like the public parks, spaces, and the possibility of endless walking and bicycling. I looked at the websites on Pooler and couldn't find out anything.

Thanks

Old 12-31-2006, 01:25 PM

19 posts, read 165,986 times
Default Stay out of Atlanta

First ten minutes of local news is consistantly the murders, robberies, rapes, drugs and traffic fatalities. Too many people, too many with no ability to speak a recognizable form of english. A racial biased violent city with no personality.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:43 AM

20 posts, read 222,752 times
Stay away from Atlanta area, traffic is horrible, crime is high. We live in Columbus (Southwest GA, AL line). Its ok here. Not much to do but the schools in North Columbus are good. We used to live in Augusta G, dont like it. Too much crime, bad neighborhoods, low rated schools, terrible traffic. We like Columbus much better. Weather is good and mild all year, hot and humid in the summer. Stay away from anything south of Exit 6 on 185. Exit 7 thru Harris County is ok.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 AM

64 posts, read 710,185 times
Live below Macon to rear your children. Try a nice town with low crime, affordable housing, people are very friendly. Fitzgerald, Tifton, Americus, Moultrie. Unfortunately if you watch the news in any bigger city in Ga like Albany, Columbus, Atl, Gainesville, I hate to say it but even Macon as much as I love Macon, you find a lot of crime and gang violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia