Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 AM

19 posts, read 220,629 times

Advertisements

We are going to relocate to GA in about 12-18 months, from FL, and I would like for people from all over Georgia to tell me about where they live so that I can find the right place for us. I look forward to hearing about all the wonderful/not so wonderful places to live. Please include cost of living, i.e., insurance (car/home), taxes, jobs, as well as crime rate, etc. Thanks so much in advance for your needed information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 03:49 PM

35 posts, read 223,988 times
your question is quite braud. No offence but, it would be like me asking you what is the best place to live in florida and you tell me miami, tampa, and lakeland and then you tell me every nook and cranny of the best areas with costs ...that would take forever!!!! In short, you will need more tell us more about what you want in amenities lifestyle costs etc...

P.S. I am just making a friendly observation as I am learning too (smile).

Last edited by happenstance; 12-15-2006 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: wrote in error

Old 12-15-2006, 10:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
If you ask 100 people where the best place to live is, you're going to get at least 80 different answers. Likewise, some people will see a certain area as a crime infested ghetto and others will see it as "up and coming". There is no way to truly answer your question.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:15 PM

233 posts, read 1,226,647 times
My husband and I was in Columbus, Ga for 2 1/2 years. The muscogee county schools were pretty good. The cost of living was alot less expensive than in Pennsylvania (where I am originally from). If was always told to us that you didn't want to live below exit 6 on 185.
We are in Savannah now. Chatham county schools are hit or miss. The majority aren't great but there are a few good ones. Effingham county schools are really good though. The cost of living here is slightly more expensive than muscogee but the property taxes seem the same (less than in the North). As far as insurance, our auto and homeowners are about the same.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 99,155 times
it all depends on the price range of the home you are buying , lifestyle, etc.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:06 AM

19 posts, read 220,629 times
Default Thanks for all the responses and let me be more specific...

I left my question broad like that so that people from all over could tell me where they live and how they like it, plus the cost of living. Now, what I currently pay here in So. FL is $5,000 in homeowners ins, $5,000 in residental taxes, $250-$300 in electric, and car insurance is $850 every six months for each of our vehicles (we have two vehicles so double that). Although we make good money, it's getting extremely crowded and we want to find a slower paced city. We are looking to buy a home in the range of $150000 to $275000 and not in Atlanta....we would like either outside of Atlanta...Is North of Atlanta better than South of Atlanta? Is East of Atlanta better than West of Atlanta?....we like Marietta GA (Alton Brown of the Food Network TV is there...) My husband is in the elevator trade and will need to transfer and we don't want the commute to be so long. Looking for a brick home with a basement, pool, 3/2 or 4/2, neighbors not too close to each other either. Maybe this will give you what we have in mind....Thanks in advance to all who provide me information. Oh, and one more thing, we have a 4 1/2 month old little girl so we need a nice place to raise her and that has great schools.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:13 AM

233 posts, read 1,226,647 times
Our homeowners and taxes aren't even nearly as high as yours. That is outrageous. Our homeowners is like a 1/10 th of yours. And our taxes, electric, and car ins is 1/2 yours. I don't know of any homes in this area that have basements.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:15 PM

19 posts, read 119,414 times
Default Best places to live in Atlanta!

Hi Lee

Well, it depends if you have kids and what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. If you like the suburbs, I would recommend Alpharetta, Marietta, Woodstock and Canton. If you like city-living then maybe Vinings, Buckhead or Downtown, but beware it's rather pricey the closer you get to downtown.

I live in Cherokee County, Canton in particular! Taxes are low, schools are good and there is fresh air, oh and we live near a wonderful lake.

Brent

Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 AM

183 posts, read 1,006,900 times
Smile Walton County

I have said it before, but we think Walton county is The place to live. We have almost 2 acres, taxes are 2500 year, we have an in -ground pool,4 bedroom ranch on a daylight basement.The schools are good, my son attends Loganville high. The schools we targeted when we moved here 4 years ago were Loganville middle...now there is a new middle school Youth Middle. My husband travels all over for his job, but you can get downtown fairly easily.We moved here from Gwinnett county(7 years there) ,before that we lived in Ct.This area looks alot like Ct. It's rural, people are nice and there is plenty of shopping nearby. I hope this helps!

Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 PM

12 posts, read 56,853 times
Columbus Ga all the way!! But you need to come and visit shop and eat and stuff for a weekend you'll love it!Me and my friends do.It like the big city living without as many big building and smog and stuff.And the poeple are GREAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia