Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2021, 06:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...order-ubereats
Yo, people keep harping on the stupidest (but easiest buzzworthy) change in the bill, but I'm sure some people will find some humor in Kemp saying UberEats/Grubhub delivery is OK.
“Several social media users condemned Kemp for suggesting that voters order food, with some saying that the statement was “tone deaf,” as many people may not be able to afford food delivery services.”

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve read so far today.

Have Stacey Abrams 151 feet away serving food then.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:44 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“Several social media users condemned Kemp for suggesting that voters order food, with some saying that the statement was “tone deaf,” as many people may not be able to afford food delivery services.”

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve read so far today.

Wait, did you completely overlook the irony of GAA/Kemp making handing out food and water illegal yet said people can do just that with UberEats and Grubhub? Cost of food is a thing to debate but I'm surprised that's what you took from this.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:45 AM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Quote:
*SNIP*

Maybe next time the law can be that no organized electioneering visible from, or on approach to a polling place. And none at all anywhere on the main election day. Or maybe just no more organized electioneering during the period of early voting anywhere at all. I think I'd like the latter the best of all.

Old 04-15-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Wait, did you completely overlook the irony of GAA/Kemp making handing out food and water illegal yet said people can do just that with UberEats and Grubhub? Cost of food is a thing to debate but I'm surprised that's what you took from this.
They can get anything delivered 150 feet away. Unless there's an activist UberEats driver making the delivery their only agenda is to bring food, not to push a narrative.

I would be OK with certified election workers handing out water within 150 feet.

I am not OK with any other organization under the guise of "helping" handing out water, snacks, pizza, etc.

Line warming is real, and was a "loophole" in the law previously.

"The bulletin also reminds elections officials that offering food, drinks, or other items of value to voters waiting in line or those who have already voted is forbidden under Georgia law (OCGA § 21-2-570)."

https://sos.ga.gov/index.php/electio...rming_loophole

https://dailycaller.com/2021/04/07/b...g-georgia-ban/

This is interesting as well:

https://dailycaller.com/2021/04/05/m...ood-drink-ban/

While the source might be biased to the right, read the stories and make your own judgment.

Here's an example at the state level.

https://www.douglascountysentinel.co...f9acd0fe9.html

"An investigation has been launched by the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office into District 61 state Rep. Roger Bruce, who was photographed last week handing out snacks to voters waiting in line outside the county courthouse.

Bruce, D-Atlanta, is the head of Douglas County’s eight-member state delegation. He was photographed at the courthouse last Tuesday wearing a “State Representative Roger Bruce” shirt and passing out snacks to voters alongside Douglas County Commissioner Tarenia Carthan."

Is this appropriate? No way. And this is not a partisan thing, I would 100% feel the same way if it was a Republican candidate.

Do I think it's widespread? No. Do I think the law is appropriate in closing any loopholes? Absolutely.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:58 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Quote:
They can get anything delivered 150 feet away. Unless there's an activist UberEats driver making the delivery their only agenda is to bring food, not to push a narrative.

I would be OK with certified election workers handing out water within 150 feet.

I am not OK with any other organization under the guise of "helping" handing out water, snacks, pizza, etc.

Line warming is real, and was a "loophole" in the law previously.
To be clear per law, it's 150 feet from an elections building and 25 feet from a standing elector, which, if lines continue to be an issue as they have for many reasons, it can mean never. Deliveries from anyone then should remain criminalized per law, which Kemp does not have a clear grasp of himself. And if he does, then he's just posturing.

His turnabout remark has been seized upon by many, but, I do think this is a result of the cavernous lines of the voting legislation, which does not grant the opportunity he claims is possible.

But to be quite honest, I'll reiterate that I only posted that for those who would find humor in that irony. I'm far more concerned about things other than food, water, and line warming, in that bill.

In other news about Kemp, 2 Trump-adjacent GOP members vote to censor Kemp and, ya'll... Vernon Jones just entered to compete against him. And. . . . ay yi yi. We're a spaghetti republic in GA right now!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/u...publicans.html
https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...OZYCQOLRTRFKQ/

Old 04-16-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
To be clear per law, it's 150 feet from an elections building and 25 feet from a standing elector, which, if lines continue to be an issue as they have for many reasons, it can mean never. Deliveries from anyone then should remain criminalized per law, which Kemp does not have a clear grasp of himself. And if he does, then he's just posturing.
I’m sure I could draw out a scenario where that would work. 150’ from the building and not where the line is.

Did you read the link I posted how it’s modeled on the NY version of the law?

Old 04-16-2021, 08:05 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times
Former Democrat Vernon Jones to face Brian Kemp in Republican primary

ATLANTA - Former Democratic state lawmaker Vernon Jones says that he will face Gov. Brian Kemp in the Republican's 2022 gubernatorial primary..."

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/for...blican-primary

SOURCE: Fox 5 Digital Team

Old 05-25-2021, 10:17 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times
Gov. Kemp signs executive order against state requiring vaccine passports

ATLANTA — Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp issued an executive order Tuesday that prohibits the state from requiring COVID-19 vaccination passports.

The order says that no vaccine passports will be required for entry into Georgia and that state employees won’t be require to provide vaccination proof to their state employers..."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/gov...FK2QXXCFZ5TKA/

SOURCE: AJC

Old 05-25-2021, 11:00 AM

7,356 posts, read 6,525,292 times
Good! It doesn't go far enough, but I'm not sure it can without the legislature which won't begin meeting again until January.

Old 05-26-2021, 04:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
This ensures zero chance of cruise ships calling on Savannah. Just like our wacko neighbor DeSantis, Kemp is an idiot just playing to his disgusting base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia